Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot on Two Drives

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dual Boot on Two Drives

You can mount your FAT32 partition with this info I guess.
    Don't know why ubuntu didn't do it for you......

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm a noob myself, but if the FAT32 drive/partition is IDE then then it should be hda1 (assuming it is the first partition on the first/only IDE drive).
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans

Thx!
    I have, you know, mp3's, videos, oOo/word docs, and a lot of personal info stored since redhat 7.1 to fedora core 5.
    I forgot to tell you that there is a jumper that limits the drive to 32 Gb, (80 Gb) and as I have mentioned above, it runs with no problems on XP and FC5.

Mhh! I just want to be able to see and copy the whole FAT32 partition onto my 2nd Ubuntu's partition.
    Anyways, I'm still looking for more info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Got an external USB hard drive enclosure?

eBay time perhaps......

Beans

Yes!
    I have a 2 Gb USB mem.
    The FAT32 partition has only ½ Gb (aprox) of free space, and I'm wondering if I'd better write 6 or 7 DVD's, as a extra back-ups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thanks veganrailpunk.

I'll give this a shot this afternoon (I hope)...

Cheers,
    Pete2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thanks everyone. I've got this working now...

Windows as default so that Mrs B can just go straight there and I can pick and choose...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by willcox View Post
    Yes!
    I have a 2 Gb USB mem.
    The FAT32 partition has only ½ Gb (aprox) of free space, and I'm wondering if I'd better write 6 or 7 DVD's, as a extra back-ups.
    Sorry for not being clearer, I meant an enclosure to put the FAT32 hard drive in, to allow easy transfer of files.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Dual Boot on Two Drives

Quote Originally Posted by bullinchinashop View Post
    This is one of the few things about Ubuntu that really ticks me off. Zenwalk Slackware SUSE & Vector let you decide where the boot loader is installed. You can also choose to not install a boot loader or to install it to a floppy.
    Ubuntu really should give you the option to control how where and if a boot loader is installed.
    I agree totally with the above statement, except in my case it didn't just "tick me off", it made me f*****g furious.

I went out and bought separate hard drives when I decided that I wanted to try out different OSs. I did this because I absolutely did not want anything messing with my Windows drive (which contains absolutely vital data). I wanted each OS to be strictly confined on its own drive.

Most OSs worked just fine. You specify the drive, and the OS installs to that drive (and everything else is left well alone). But when I tried Ubuntu, my Windows drive MBR got trashed even though I never gave Ubuntu permisison to go anywhere near it. I didn't even allow anything from my Windows drive to be mounted in Ubuntu (that's how much I do not want my OSs interacting). If I want to share between OSs (highly unlikely) then I will set up a dedicated partition for this purpose.

Having been so explicit with my instructions during Ubuntu's setup, I was furious to find that not only did Ubuntu write to a totally different drive without my permission, but there was not even so much as a comment or notification saying that this was going to happen.

Anyway, Grub was installed to my Windows drive and I could no longer boot into Windows. I have no idea why, but no matter what I did it just would not work. This was exactly the kind of nightmare I was trying to avoid (and is the reason why I went out and bought extra hard drives in the first place). My ADSL modem card was not recognised by Ubuntu (so I had no net access) and therefore I had no way of trying to find a solution. I am a fairly competent computer user (at least as far as Windows goes), but hacking around the MBR in hex or knowing how Grub works is beyond me (I have never used Linux before). So I needed to consult help on how to fix an issue like this.

It took many stress filled hours (and a visit to a friend in order to use his PC to search the net) to come up with a soution. Even then it wasn't easy to fix, and the whole time I feared that I might lose all my data. I don't see why I should have even have had to go through this ordeal. Every other OS that I tried did not subject me to this.

I have read comments in this thread about users being confused by choices, or Linux users not liking too many warnings, but such arguments just don't cut it with this particular issue. Arbitrarily deciding to overwrite data on a users PC (behind their back without telling them) is the kind of behaviour I expect from Virus writers, not an operating system. I don't care whether Linux users like warnings or not. If you are going to overwrite MY data on MY computer, then have the decency to tell me so.

Also, if users really don't want choices then why would they even choose the manual partitioning option in the first place? Ubuntu is happy enough to make you go through the process of something as trivial as selecting where the Swap partition is located, but yet for something as critical (and dangerous) as overwriting the MBR of another disk, there is no option at all. I can understand not providing such an option on the automated default install, but any user who chooses the manual option clearly wants to specify each individual mount point, so they can't exactly be averse to choices can they?

I had not even heard of the "alternative" Ubuntu version till reading this thread. As a first time Linux user how was I supposed to know about this if it's not explained anywhere what it is and why I might want to use it? It's certainly not mentioned anywhere on the Ubuntu download page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUb...irect=download

and the text mode install of the alternative version doesn't exactly sound suitable for beginners anyway.

No doubt people will be saying that it's all my fault for not spending months beforehand learning about all possible distros and boot loaders before daring to trying one out.

I find it ironic that such a big deal is made about the Ubuntu Live CD (as a means of safely trying out Ubuntu without any risk to your existing data).

It's a shame that the same principal is not applied when it comes to actual installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by oomingmak View Post
    No doubt people will be saying that it's all my fault for not spending months beforehand learning about all possible distros and boot loaders before daring to trying one out.
    You would seem to have experienced exactly what I did.

Problem is you don't know what you don't know.

I still use Xubuntu on an old laptop, but use another distro, PCLinuxOS on everything else.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast