Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ext4 filesystem released

Will this be included in edgy?

Beans

nah, way too late. i'm sure there will be a way for people to implement it in edgy, if they wish to do so. but it probably wont be a default till it gets extensively tested by lots of people.

Beans

Wouldn't you just need to compile the latest kernel to be able to use/create ext4 systems? Correct me if i'm wrong!
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    Wouldn't you just need to compile the latest kernel to be able to use/create ext4 systems? Correct me if i'm wrong!
    Yes, you need a kernel version 2.6.19-rc1 or later and the latest e2fsprogs, just as the announcement says.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Hey will this implement some sort of undelete/recycle bin or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    Hey will this implement some sort of undelete/recycle bin or something?
    I think 'Recycle Bin-like' functionality is something the OS provides (I certainly have one here with the KDE Wastebin). It's not like the Recycle Bin is an integral function of FAT16/32, it was Microsoft operating systems that implemented it (of course the idea was plagarized from Apple, where Microsoft get most of their 'innovation'). As for undelete, according to Wikpedia's ext3 article:

"Unlike ext2, ext3 zeroes out block pointers in the inodes of deleted files. It does to simplify read-write access to the filesystem when the journal is being replayed after an unclean mount. This, however, effectively prevents files from being undeleted. The user's only recourse is to grep the hard drive for data known to signal the start and end of the file. This provides slightly more secure deletion than ext2, which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage."

I don't think ext4 has been changed in this respect, so it'll be the same there. This isn't anything serious though. Just think for a second when you're confirming deletion of a file.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I don't think ext4 has been changed in this respect, so it'll be the same there. This isn't anything serious though. Just think for a second when you're confirming deletion of a file.
    Have you never rm'ed a file by mistake?????? besides the wrong file can always be deleted by a lil extra tab, similar spelling , or by another gazillion reasons why this can happen etc

Currently I use (like most ppl i guess) :
    alias rms=rm
    alias rm=mv ~/.trash/

which works, but..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I think 'Recycle Bin-like' functionality is something the OS provides (I certainly have one here with the KDE Wastebin). It's not like the Recycle Bin is an integral function of FAT16/32, it was Microsoft operating systems that implemented it (of course the idea was plagarized from Apple, where Microsoft get most of their 'innovation'). As for undelete, according to Wikpedia's ext3 article:

"Unlike ext2, ext3 zeroes out block pointers in the inodes of deleted files. It does to simplify read-write access to the filesystem when the journal is being replayed after an unclean mount. This, however, effectively prevents files from being undeleted. The user's only recourse is to grep the hard drive for data known to signal the start and end of the file. This provides slightly more secure deletion than ext2, which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage."

I think he refers to the fact that the recycle bin currently does not support the possibility to restore the file to the original location.
    Please, feel free to correct my english, so that I can improve it.

Click here to join Dropbox. Both you and I get free extra space.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Kinda interesting but I wonder what the benefits are. Hopefully speed would be one of them, since lets face it for home users data integrity and availability is kind of an afterthought.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast