Thread: Never thought I'd see this exchange in the SF Chronicle...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Never thought I'd see this exchange in the SF Chronicle...

Letter from October 1 San Francisco Chronicle:
    Why do pols hate cops?

Editor -- After reading the Sept. 24 version of Matier & Ross, ("S.F. supe goes ballistic over police officers' anti-Daly T-shirt''), I came to wonder what has made this supervisor so mad at the San Francisco Police Department and its officers.

I was born and raised in this city, and was brought up to respect the police for the service they provide. I respected the job so much I decided to join the department. After 20 years of service, I have seen many changes in the city, but the one I didn't see coming is how much the politicians hate us.

When I joined the force, we were asked by the supervisors what we need to make the city safe. Now we get, "you don't need that.'' Do the people of San Francisco realize that we still use Windows 95 as our computer system?

Chris Daly has hated the police since he arrived from the East Coast in the '90s. It seems any chance he gets, he just wants to stick it to us. Do I agree with our POA president's tactics, no I don't; but Daly has to realize we have a tough job, way tougher than his. He should concentrate on how to help the people of San Francisco and not on his own political agenda. This would serve the city better.

Sgt. JOHN LEWIS

Park Station
    Letter from October 8 San Francisco Chronicle:
    Geek help for the cops

Editor -- Sgt. John Lewis, of Park Station, (Letters, "Why do pols hate cops?,'' Oct. 1), mentions in his third paragraph, a truly sad state of affairs: "Do the people of San Francisco realize that we still use Windows 95 as our computer system?''

The cost of replacing that system with the later version Microsoft product would be prohibitive and pointless because Windows is well-known as virus ridden, worm infested and Trojan-horse vulnerable.

I'd gladly volunteer to help in an effort to introduce free, open source, secure software to the Police Department computers, such as Linux, FireFox, OpenOffice.org, and more to assist the officers.

Linux, for example, has been around since its creation by Linus Torvalds in 1990, with improvements early and often.

JOHN F. KOHLER

Daly City
    I wonder if the SF police will take Kohler up on his offer...

Beans

Re: Never thought I'd see this exchange in the SF Chronicle...

To me, this seems like a government decision and not the department alone, although he has made them more aware of Linux, so there's a small chance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, it's definitely not up to only Sgt. John Lewis, but then the letter was to all of San Francisco, and perhaps that Sgt. could talk to the people in charge...

Wishful thinking maybe. Still, an intriguing exchange in a public forum.

Beans
    Hidden!

I belived what I read somewhere that in the US government funded organisations have to upgrade their IT infrastructure periodically and old systems are given the to the needy. Was it a daydream ?

I would be surprised if they accept the offer more likely to happen in Europe or Asia, but a little free advertisement ever hurts.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It happened in Michigan, apparently...
    http://www.novell.com/success/state_of_michigan.html