Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: logmein.com equivalent for linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

logmein.com equivalent for linux

I have fooled around with logmein.com for a week or so on an old XP machine and found it kind of handy.

Is there an equivalent for linux?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: logmein.com equivalent for linux

What feature are you interested. Don't feel like browsing around on their (too flashy) site to try and figure out what you want.

Beans

Take a look at VNC. it's not quite as simple as LogMeIn, but it provides the same functionality and works well.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Yeah VNC kicks butt and is built into Gnome (maybe KDE, not sure though).
    "The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my own government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence... I cannot remain silent." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the thoughts. I took a look at VNC and also played around with Remote Desktop and Terminal Server Client in the Ubuntu menus. Given that I don't have a static IP (my ISP periodically assigns me a new one). That seems to add a significant wrinkle.

The other issue I think I have is security. Is logmein secure? I'm no expert by any means, but a bit of googling seems to indicate that at least a number of people are comfortable with its security. But who knows.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waldorf View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I took a look at VNC and also played around with Remote Desktop and Terminal Server Client in the Ubuntu menus. Given that I don't have a static IP (my ISP periodically assigns me a new one). That seems to add a significant wrinkle.
    You can use a service like dyndns to assign a domain name to your computer and use that instead.

The other issue I think I have is security. Is logmein secure? I'm no expert by any means, but a bit of googling seems to indicate that at least a number of people are comfortable with its security. But who knows.
    According to its site, it has 256-bit SSL encryption, but only in the paid version.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

VNC is quite similar and it's free of charge unlike logmein.com

Beans
    Distro

Actually, logmein is free, but it is limited to accessing windows machines. As far as I know it does not support linux.

VNC does seem like the way to go for linux accessing linux, and I your suggestions for how to make it work are greatly appreciated - thanks!

Beans

I just found out about logmein.com the other day at school. Some other kids use it, however they ALL use windows at home.

Is there anyway you can cross match OS's with this, whether you use logmein or VNC?

aka - Would EITHER option work with linux home pc/windows school pc?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I just found out about logmein.com the other day at school. Some other kids use it, however they ALL use windows at home.

Is there anyway you can cross match OS's with this, whether you use logmein or VNC?

aka - Would EITHER option work with linux home pc/windows school pc?
    I have used it without any trouble if I am using a linux machine to access a windows machine. You access the windows machine via a web browser so it doesn't matter if you are using linux, windows, BSD or Mac

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast