Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: logmein.com equivalent for linux

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

logmein.com equivalent for linux

I have fooled around with logmein.com for a week or so on an old XP machine and found it kind of handy.

Is there an equivalent for linux?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: logmein.com equivalent for linux

What feature are you interested. Don't feel like browsing around on their (too flashy) site to try and figure out what you want.

Beans

Take a look at VNC. it's not quite as simple as LogMeIn, but it provides the same functionality and works well.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Yeah VNC kicks butt and is built into Gnome (maybe KDE, not sure though).
    "The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my own government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence... I cannot remain silent." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the thoughts. I took a look at VNC and also played around with Remote Desktop and Terminal Server Client in the Ubuntu menus. Given that I don't have a static IP (my ISP periodically assigns me a new one). That seems to add a significant wrinkle.

The other issue I think I have is security. Is logmein secure? I'm no expert by any means, but a bit of googling seems to indicate that at least a number of people are comfortable with its security. But who knows.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waldorf View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I took a look at VNC and also played around with Remote Desktop and Terminal Server Client in the Ubuntu menus. Given that I don't have a static IP (my ISP periodically assigns me a new one). That seems to add a significant wrinkle.
    You can use a service like dyndns to assign a domain name to your computer and use that instead.

The other issue I think I have is security. Is logmein secure? I'm no expert by any means, but a bit of googling seems to indicate that at least a number of people are comfortable with its security. But who knows.
    According to its site, it has 256-bit SSL encryption, but only in the paid version.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

One thing to remember is there are services for dynamic IPs (when your ISP changes it, this can be a hassle). The method I use to get them to show locally to each other (without the more sophisticated VPN type setups) is called hamachi. It was bought out by logmein.com and is available for linux/mac/windows and is free. The reason I state this is that is allows a virtual 2nd nic (atleast under windows) and gets it so that all the computers setup under the client appear to be on one network. Essentially it is for those of us that know of VPNs (or even those who don't) but want it to work easily and (from what I can tell) securely, oh and free. The best though I can see is setup tightVNC or NX and hamachi on the linux box in question and simply tunnel using the hamachi IP of the linux box (see hamachi.cc for all the details on mac/linux install) and it will resolve the issue of any IPs that change. (I am actually using this now to remote into my windows PC to post this so my work can't see where I've been
    RZ

Beans

I recieved this message from a Logmein tech,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>
    Hi Gabriel,

Although LogMeIn does not officially support the Linux platform, some Linux variants do support partial functionality to be used as a local computer controlling a LogMeIn target computer.

This is done through our legacy support for java, which is a cross-platform development environment. We do have official support for Linux on both sides of the connection planned for later this year, but for now, we do not support it officially.

To use a Linux computer to control a Windows PC running LogMeIn, you will need to install the Java Runtime Environment.

Most Linux distributions can install this from their Package Managers (RPM for Redhat based, Synaptic for Debian based, etc.).

Sun provides an RPM package at the link below.

If you would like to install manually, or do not use RPM to install packages, or have issues with the package manager install, try installing from source from the following link.

Note, you will need to go to Preferences > Remote Control settings and disable remote printing for the Remote Control feature to load properly and not with errors, since this isn't supported in Java on Linux.

Here is the link to install the RPM or source install of Java Runtime Environment.

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
    Sean Keough
    LogMeIn Customer Support

Have you checked our Knowledge Base? Most questions can be answered quickly by going to www.LogMeIn.com. Just click the Support link, select the appropriate product, and type your question in the Search box!

------ Your Question/Comment ------
    I would like to access my pc's using Ubuntu Linux, what version of Java should I have installed?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Beans

Yes, logmein is for windows only however it's big advantage is that all you need to control the remote PC is a browser and logmein works through corporate firewalls, which like my company's, prohibit the use of vnc. I get round this by using logmein to connect to an old windows machine and then VNC my ubuntu machine from that.

messy, but it works!

Beans

As of this writing, logmein.com site isn't loading for me. Does anyone else have the same problem? www.logmein.com gets redirected to https://secure.logmein.com and all I see is "The Connection Was Reset" page. No part of logmein site is accessible for sometime now. Java Runtime is successfully working in this computer.

I'm using Firefox on ThinkGOS. What am I missing?

Thank you.
    Last edited by dministrator; December 2nd, 2007 at 03:27 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast