Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: logmein.com equivalent for linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: logmein.com equivalent for linux

Just found this: http://www.bomgar.com/linux/linuxquestions.htm
    It's only been fully tested/certified for the tech being on Windows or SuSE, but they said they've used it on other Linux distros and had no trouble. The person being helped can be on Ubuntu, Windows, Mac, SuSE, or a few other distros officially, but realistically more distros will work too.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

I have been going crazy with the same issue for days. I just couldn't open the www.logmein.com page (or secure.logmein.com for that matter). I only got a "Connection Reset" error.

I found the answer, of all places, on a MAC Safari forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6017681

The problem seems to be Gutsy's default MTU network setting, which is 1500. You will have to change this to 1472, or you won't be able to access the secure logmein page. The MTU value determines the max packet size in TCP/IP networks.

The simplest (and temporary until the next reboot) way to change this value is to enter the following command in terminal (this assumes you use eth0 to connect to the Internet, otherwise edit accordingly)

"sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1472"

If you can access the logmein page after changing this setting, then you can attempt (it's a bit complex depending on user/configuration) to make the change permanent.

This method worked for me:

"sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces"

add the following line to the eth0 configuration info

"MTU 1472"

reboot or restart network services using

"sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart"

I use a static IP address. I have heard of this simple method not working when using DHCP so you could do some research here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=mtu+size

to see which method will work for you.

Hope this helps.

Beans

augustosamame>> Holy (snip) dude, you hit the bull's eye. Thank you and you are awesome.

How on earth did you stumble on this solution?
    Last edited by K.Mandla; December 12th, 2007 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Edited for language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VNC is not secure unless its via SSH.

I too am looking for a middleman type of connection like logmein that uses https .

The problem ive got using VNC over SSH is that at work im behind a proxy server and cannot create the ssh tunnel. (and there absoulutely no way im using vnc without it. Anyway prob wouldnt work either)

All my collegues use logmein and im constantly getting the "nana na na na" because they can all access their XP pcs at lunchtime

There must be some kind of man in the middle https control system available surely.

PS: if you have a modern router, use www.dyndns.org for your dynamic ip address problems
    Get this set up correctly and you will allways be
    "yourname.dyndns.com" instead of a forever changing IP
    Last edited by dgrafix; January 12th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    linux might be a headache to set up sometimes, but at least when its set up, it stays set up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Rather than VNC, how about NX/FreeNX? We still need an automated solution to dynamic IP tracking and reverse HTTP/S connections to avoid firewall changes, but in my experience, NX is waaay faster and more stable than VNC. I can sit on a 56k modem and not really tell that I'm not at my console - and on a 3M cable pipe, I can almost watch streaming video via a browser on the remote computer without too much 'jerkiness'.

Still doesn't help with the other issues though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sounds cool,

Do you have any links & howtos ?
    linux might be a headache to set up sometimes, but at least when its set up, it stays set up!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dgrafix View Post
    Sounds cool,

Do you have any links & howtos ?
    Here is a good place to get started with FreeNX:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freenx

You may also want to look at NoMachine's website www.nomachine.com for the web companion to help with connections using a web site. It requires more setup, but it's worth it.

Finally, unless you use FTP (you should use SFTP anyways) you can use port 21 on your firewall and redirect it to port 22 to the machine you want inside. On the other hand, if your router doesn't support that feature (sadly some are removing it) you can change the SSH port on your Ubuntu machine to 21 as most employers do not block this port. As a last resort you may have to forfeit the web interface and use port 80 for SSH.

On the side of hamachi, I have successfully been able to get it to work, but you need to make hard links for the ssl libraries, because the libraries it looks for are older than the ones supplied with Gutsy. I have made the hard links and they work just fine. So it is definitely possible to send your request through hamachi if you want to. However, for speed sake I would recommend using the port 21 approach if you can, since no one should use FTP anymore IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Oh, I thought you meant Lo mein, that delicious Chinese treat. It's compatible with Linux and Windows.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

I don't know why this topic is still continuing or at the vary least hasn't becoming a recurring topic, as we have this wonderful little tool called VNC.
    VNC is portable to anything, and there are tons of options: open source, free, commercial. I'm actually about to go port the opensource version of RealVNC to my ARMv4t processor so I can use it on Angstrom...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Actually no, VNC is horrible compared to modern remotes like nomachine and logmein, even windows RDC is nicer to use! VNC seems slow & laggy (even on a 100Mbit Lan!), has no decent security (without a separate open ssh tunnel), has 2 mouse pointers, no scaling (ar least not realVNC client anyway), cannot transport sound (although i dont really care about that) etc. etc.

When using SSH+VNC through a corporate firewall that only supports port 80 seems impossible (could be wrong there but that is the root of all my probs as i sont want my ssh server set to 80)

Need i go on?

I think the thread should continue until someone has the bright idea of a secure browser based logmein type service for linux. Even if it uses good old VNC i dont care as long as i can bust out of my companies proxy through https, i can access my pc and its secure -I will be happy
    Last edited by dgrafix; January 16th, 2008 at 01:24 PM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast