Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: logmein.com equivalent for linux

Beans

Re: logmein.com equivalent for linux

Read your post, since I am looking for the same thing. Here is an idea: Just use you linux-computer via Putty. Install WMWare and let's say Windows XP on top of your Linux-computer and connect to that vm with Logmein.com.... I know...it's dirty but it's a workaround...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

One advantage that Logmein has over VNC, is that it runs an agent on the target machine, which helps in traversing NAT and firewalls, without having to open ports in your router. It reaches out from behind the firewall and gives you access. With VNC, one has to open a port or two in order to log in. If you already have a ssh port open, you can tunnel through it, without opening extra ports, however when dealing with a family member that's far away and not as computer literate, Logmein is a foolproof solution for supporting those loved ones.

I myself am looking for a product similar to LMI, to connect to a Linux desktop that will most likely connect via dial-up and have a different IP address each time it connects. I know I can run a dyndns client to get around the IP address problem. At this point I think the best solution is to run hamachi and then VNC into the target machine. It's free and once setup, it should just work.

Beans

Regarding the response received from Logmein tech: the Java interface does not work as well as the ActiveX interface, so it would be good if they were made aware how many people want an equivalent to the ActiveX interface for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A VM running Windows XP will allow everything you need on either end. If you need to fully access a Linux box, just VNC through the Windows machine that runs the LogMeIn beacon. I do this through my MacMini (Beta version) to access a Linux box & my OSx86 homebrew mac.

for example....

At work, my Feisty box running a Windows XP VM can log into my MacMini either directly or through a Parallels VM. Then I use VNC to access those other pc's. The whole thing kinda makes you dizzy thinking about it. lol

Beans

I require help too.

I need to access Windows PCs, but everytime I go to remote control via FF in Ubuntu, I'm told I need the plugin.

Fine.

So, FF can't install the plugin and I choose manual. I've tried both the BIN and RPM method following the websites instructions.

Bin - didn't work.

RPM - hit me with a bunch of dependencies. What use is an "installation" file if it has "dependencies". Surely they should come as part of the set up file?? I wouldn't buy a car with no engine!!!!!

Can anybody help? Is there a way I can get the Java pluign working in FF so that I can use LMI?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by distortedecho View Post
    I require help too.

I need to access Windows PCs, but everytime I go to remote control via FF in Ubuntu, I'm told I need the plugin.

Fine.

So, FF can't install the plugin and I choose manual. I've tried both the BIN and RPM method following the websites instructions.

Bin - didn't work.

RPM - hit me with a bunch of dependencies. What use is an "installation" file if it has "dependencies". Surely they should come as part of the set up file?? I wouldn't buy a car with no engine!!!!!

Can anybody help? Is there a way I can get the Java pluign working in FF so that I can use LMI?

Thanks
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans

Yes, logmein is for windows only however it's big advantage is that all you need to control the remote PC is a browser and logmein works through corporate firewalls, which like my company's, prohibit the use of vnc. I get round this by using logmein to connect to an old windows machine and then VNC my ubuntu machine from that.

messy, but it works!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reacocard View Post
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
    Thanks, I will try this.

Does anyone know why an RPM "installation" wouldn't come with all the necessary required files?

Beans

Hamachi

It's basically owned by LogMeIn and has a similar functionality. And it has a Linux client

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by distortedecho View Post
    Thanks, I will try this.

Does anyone know why an RPM "installation" wouldn't come with all the necessary required files?
    Two reasons:

1) RPMs are NOT native to ubuntu and should not be used on ubuntu (use deb files instead)

2) dependencies are how packaging is done in linux. This is why we have package managers like apt, to take care of the nasty bits of tracking down all the needed parts for us.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast