Thread: Palm Pilot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Palm Pilot

I cannot get my Palm Tungsten E to sync. Anyone have any ideas? It does not even connect. I got it to connect one time. It is hooked to the usb port but it will not pick it up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Palm Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by rcdeacon View Post
    I cannot get my Palm Tungsten E to sync. Anyone have any ideas? It does not even connect. I got it to connect one time. It is hooked to the usb port but it will not pick it up.
    I used to use my Palm with Ubuntu, and it was bit tricky. I tried Jpilot, and Gnome Pilot. I think I remember having to press Hotsync a couple of times or something. If I get a chance I will try to dust off my Palm and see if I can remember what I did.

Jereme

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. In earlier distros it would work but it doesn't work well in Mepis either. Any help is appreciated. I use my palm constantly for work and if I could get it to sync with evolution or jpilot it would be great. It is connected on /dev/ttyUSB1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am just now trying to get a pilot to work too. I have it working in edgy, but not dapper.

(edit)I just got it working in dapper. Instead of using the gnome pilot app, I installed jpilot from the repositories. In the setup, I made the port /dev/ttyUSB1 and it now syncs. I tried ttyUSB0 but it wouldn't connect.

I have to hit the sync button in the app and then hit the sync button on the docking thingy for it to connect.

I got the info for this here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...28&postcount=5
    Last edited by Shay Stephens; October 9th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans
    Distro

I didn't have any luck with jpilot before but I will try it again. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've just resurrected my old palm pilot m500...
    I actually went all-out and used the following line to install the software:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install '^jpilot*' '^pilot*'
    I then started jpilot, pressed its sync button and then the one on the cradle. it worked with no tinkering on Edgy I don't even know what port it's using, and I couldn't find the gnome-pilot app (not even in the command line... )
    I,Omnivore! Tremble before me, all ye who may be tasty
    Also, Hasslehof Supporter #13851
    Linux User #411900

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rcdeacon View Post
    First thing I suggest to do is to upgrade to Edgy (your profile says you're using dapper), because there's a specific problem with the kernel used by dapper.

There are many threads on this subject which could be of help. In my case, jpilot and pilot-link under Edgy work ok with a Palm TX.