Thread: Howto: create your own LLVM project in Ubuntu

Beans

Howto: create your own LLVM project in Ubuntu

LLVM has great documentation, but there are a couple issues with creating your own project if you're on *buntu. I hope you'll avoid the same traps I got into by following this guide!

The first thing you should do is get, configure, and build LLVM. This should be easy enough (just be sure to enable the options you need and make binaries only for your platform!). You will need to install flex, bison, and build-essential beforehand.

sudo apt-get install bison flex build-essential
    To create your own project, copy llvm/projects/sample to any directory you own. Copy Makefile.common, Makefile.common.in, configure, and config.status from the LLVM source root into the top of your project directory. Modify autoconf/configure.ac to your needs. Here is mine:
    Code:
    # <snip>

AC_INIT([FOO_PROJECT],[0.01],[obfuscated@gmail.com])

dnl Identify where LLVM source tree is
    LLVM_SRC_ROOT="/home/vk/Projects/llvm-2.5"
    LLVM_OBJ_ROOT="/home/vk/Projects/llvm-2.5"
    dnl Tell autoconf that the auxilliary files are actually located in
    dnl the LLVM autoconf directory, not here.
    AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR($LLVM_SRC_ROOT/autoconf)

dnl Tell autoconf that this is an LLVM project being configured
    dnl This provides the --with-llvmsrc and --with-llvmobj options
    LLVM_CONFIG_PROJECT($LLVM_SRC_ROOT,$LLVM_OBJ_ROOT)

dnl Verify that the source directory is valid
    AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(["Makefile.common.in"])

dnl Configure a common Makefile
    AC_CONFIG_FILES(Makefile.common)

dnl Configure project makefiles
    dnl List every Makefile that exists within your source tree
    AC_CONFIG_MAKEFILE(Makefile)
    AC_CONFIG_MAKEFILE(tools/Makefile)
    AC_CONFIG_MAKEFILE(tools/fookl/Makefile)
    AC_CONFIG_MAKEFILE(tests/Makefile)

# <snip>
    Next, modify your top-level Makefile. Here is mine:
    Code:
    LEVEL = .
    DIRS = tests tools
    EXTRA_DIST = include

# flags
    ENABLE_OPTIMIZED = 1
    DISABLE_ASSERTIONS = 1

include $(LEVEL)/Makefile.common
    Now you'll need to tweak Makefile.common. Here's mine:
    Code:
    # Set the name of the project here
    PROJECT_NAME := foo
    PROJ_VERSION := 0.01

# Set this variable to the top of the LLVM source tree.
    LLVM_SRC_ROOT = /home/vk/Projects/llvm-2.5

# Set this variable to the top level directory where LLVM was built
    # (this is *not* the same as OBJ_ROOT as defined in LLVM's Makefile.config).
    LLVM_OBJ_ROOT = /home/vk/Projects/llvm-2.5

# Set the directory root of this project's source files
    PROJ_SRC_ROOT := $(subst //,/,/home/vk/Projects/foo)

# Set the root directory of this project's object files
    PROJ_OBJ_ROOT := $(subst //,/,@abs_top_objdir@)

# Set the root directory of this project's install prefix
    PROJ_INSTALL_ROOT := /usr/local

# Include LLVM's Master Makefile.
    include $(LLVM_OBJ_ROOT)/Makefile.common
    Now you'll need to regenerate the configure scripts for your project. The script doesn't work AT ALL on Ubuntu.. so we'll hack it! First, do this:
    sudo apt-get install automake autoconf2.59
    Now, open autoconf/AutoRegen.sh with an editor (anything but emacs will do nicely). After the "die" function declaration, add this:
    Code:
    alias autoconf='autoconf2.59'
    alias aclocal='aclocal-1.9'
    Now, delete everything after the line "cwd=`pwd`" until the line "# Patch the LLVM_ROOT in configure.ac, if it needs it". Add this in its place:
    Code:
    llvm_src_root="/home/vk/Projects/llvm-2.5" # replace with wherever it is
    llvm_m4="$llvm_src_root/autoconf/m4"
    llvm_obj_root=$llvm_src_root
    Now you can run this script.

At this point, you can lookup flags you need for the various makefiles you will have. If everything went well, you should be able to say "make" at your project root and have everything compile.

Here are some useful documents:
    1) http://llvm.org/docs/MakefileGuide.html
    2) http://llvm.org/docs/Projects.html
    3) http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html

edit:
    this guide should still apply for the svn version of llvm.
    Last edited by manualqr; August 1st, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Generic Hashmap for C - Linux isn't Windows - Wikipedia Rocks!
    Great quote: "If you want to do anything interesting, your best strategy is to give up as soon as possible." (MJD)

Beans

Re: Howto: create your own LLVM project in Ubuntu

I hate to bump a months-old thread as my first post, but this is the only place I've found a decent guide on LLVM projects, and I have a few questions about it.

First off, you say to copy Makefile.common, Makefile.common.in, configure, and config.status from the LLVM source root to my project directory. Do you mean I should put them in the copied sample folder? Or do you mean the folder that I copied the sample folder into? Also, I can't seem to find all the files in the source root - Makefile.common, configure, and config.status are all in my LLVM folder but I can't find a Makefile.common.in; the closest in that folder is a Makefile.config.in. And I can't find anything in the LLVM documentation that says to copy those files - is it something you had to figure out for yourself to get it working, or what?

Second - your configure.ac is confusing me slightly. Is "/home/**/Projects/llvm-2.5" your LLVM source directory, or where you're putting your projects? I thought you were supposed to point it to the source directory but your path is confusing me.

Third - I made some guesses about the previous two questions and tried to run the makefile to compile the sample program. It worked most of the way through, but it couldn't find the sample.h file. I included one of the headers from the LLVM source and that went through find, but it can't seem to locate anything in the project's include folder. How do I get it to check both the LLVM include folder and the project include folder?

As an aside: For anybody else trying to compile the sample project, rename "main.c" to "main.cpp" to save yourself a lot of trouble. There's probably some other way to do it, but I couldn't get it to interpret the file as C++ without the suffix change. That took care of a bunch of compile warnings and errors.

EDIT: After reviewing the makefile a bit more, my third question no longer applies - it's actually finding the sample.h file. The actual error I'm getting is "main.cpp.text+0xa): undefined reference to `compute_sample(int)'". I assumed it wasn't finding it because the header wasn't being included, but there's no corresponding error for not being able to find it. Anyone have any ideas why it still wouldn't find the function?
    Last edited by DubbaEwwTeeEff; October 19th, 2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added the aside and edit at the bottom

Beans

Firstly, sorry for the late reply.

I've completely given up on trying to get this thing working completely. It's .. a strange beast, and I can't tame all of its quirks. Progress happens too fast on llvm.

My best suggestion to you is to use llvm-config. It's not pretty, but neither is this.

Code:
    # stolen from here: http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/LangImpl7.html

# Compile
    g++ -g toy.cpp `llvm-config --cppflags --ldflags --libs core jit native` -O3 -o toy
    # Run
    ./toy
    When I last tried compiling Chris Lattner's toy, it segfaulted every time I ran a command. To be fair, I was using svn code and had to tweak toy.cpp in unhealthy ways to get it to compile. And that was a few months ago.

edit:
    oh, and good luck with whatever it is you're trying to do
    Generic Hashmap for C - Linux isn't Windows - Wikipedia Rocks!
    Great quote: "If you want to do anything interesting, your best strategy is to give up as soon as possible." (MJD)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hate to ask stupid questions, but where is llvm/projects/sample ?
    SYSTEM: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 // 4GB DDR2 1066mhz RAM // nVidia 8800GTS 320mb // Ubuntu 10.04 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ukblacknight View Post
    I hate to ask stupid questions, but where is llvm/projects/sample ?
    In case you're tracking this, the answer is:

Code:
    apt-get install llvm-2.8-source
    cd /usr/src/llvm-2.8/
    sudo tar xJf llvm-2.8.tar.xz
    cd llvm-2.8/
    ls projects/sample/
    YMMV... but you get the idea.