Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who does XFCE the best?

Beans

Re: Who does XFCE the best?

Same as above - Zenwalk

Beans

Arrow Re: Who does XFCE the best?

Dreamlinux for me, I tried Zenwalk and the look is not bad, it's the OS base that sucks. I wish Mepis had XFCE as default. I asked in Mepis forum to update Mepislite and I want XFCE on it. I think it may happen, at least a new updated Mepislite will happen I think. I have tried over 30 different linux OS systems, and yes Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Mepis is way ahead of them all. I'm new to linux and been using it for only a few months now. From what i've seen, most linux OS use KDE and gnome. XFCE or ICEWM are used only on a few desktops, but they might look good, but the OS under the hood sucks. Now Dreamlinux was no easy task to install to work. Run it on the cd, it's fine, but installing it, had problems, but I did get it working and it's a pretty good linux OS. I want the fastest possible features from my OS, and from reading and testing XFCE, it will (in the near future) be one of the most used window manager, in most open source OS's, as long as they keep supporting and upgradeing it.
    thanks
    Trailboss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have no experience with other distro's than Ubuntu, but what actually makes KateOS or Zenwalk or the others better than Xubuntu?
    Ubuntu user # 7485 - Linux User # 412249
    "Oh, bother," said the Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."

Beans

Better than xubuntu is relative and dependent on who you are. Xubuntu may be easier for a newbie to linux than zenwalk to install for example. But the speed of launching apps, being able to watch movies or do more tasks with less framerates issues in movies.

In all they all function fine. But for me, Zenwalk is just speedier at starting and running on older machines. On newer PCs, they are both good and the speed difference is not too noticeable. Then I may say Xubuntu as it has synaptic which is the gateway to a lot more software packages than Zenwalk's gslapt.

I love Zenwalk and have to use it, but would recommend Xubuntu to a newbie who may require my hand holding. I still require hand holding, but Zenwalk and Vector linux forums make it so easy to get going.

Once you try them in parallel on the same PC, you may realize that it is imensely faster.

Arch is another linux distro that is perhaps even faster, but in my opinion, geared at the command line. In a year from now if not sooner, I may be adept enough to go for arch.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Both KateOS and Zenwalk are based on Slackware, the oldest original Linux distro.
    Slackware has always been faster than the Debian based ones, as it runs everything 'vanilla' - i.e, no patches, just compile as the author saw it. That includes the kernel and all libraries.
    I have to say, but I think Zenwalk definately does Xfce the best. it just rocks in Zenwalk. Also Zen has quite afew GUI tools for configuration.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

i agree with you bonzodog.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

Zenwalk is sweet and add it to my list

Beans
    Hidden!

so what's up with the dreamlinux icons? are they not open?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    so what's up with the dreamlinux icons? are they not open?
    not sure what you mean?
    http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/index.html

After a lot of testing I have to say that Aquamorph is the fastest and best looking most reliable XFCE thus far.

Dreamlinux 2nd.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    on their site, it says their icons are exclusive (unless you just get them off the live cd).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast