Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 180

Thread: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Beans
    25
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Exclamation Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    hi guys,
    im using gde in ubuntu
    do i have to edit in the xorg.conf?

    but still i cant see a Synaptics touchpad in it.
    Heres my xorg.conf listings.
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
    	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
    	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
    	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"stylus"
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
    	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
    	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"eraser"
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
    	Option		"Type"		"eraser"
    	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"cursor"
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
    	Option		"Type"		"cursor"
    	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"		# Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    Any suggestions ??

  2. #82

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Quote Originally Posted by Michl View Post
    What do you do in Hardy Heron where the xorg.conf file is abbreviated and there is not section for the touchpad, even though it works.
    I would appreciate an answer to this question too. I have a macbook 4.1. The touchpad works by default with:

    1-finger click to left click
    2-finger click to middle click
    3-finger click to right click (I don't know why 2-finger is not right-click)

    I would like to deactivate clicking on the touchpad while I'm typing.

    Thank you

  3. #83
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    22

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    I like the idea of the command to turn off the touchpad temporarily via

    syndaemon -i 0.5 -d

    but, i find it a bit annoying when i'm typing and moving the mouse at the same time (on purpose). Is there a way to distinguish the clicks between using the finger and the palm? I'm not sure of the pressure commands.

    but it would make the most sense because clicking (or even moving) should be based off of how small and condensed the input is (pointy finger) rather than how spread out it is (stubbier palm).

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Phelan, Calif.
    Beans
    15

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Thanks so much for the very useful tutorial...this is THE first time typing on this laptop, without everything going screwy!

    This laptop does the same thing in Windows(dual boot); I guess I'll have to do more googling to find the solution on that.


    This is so cool; I'm a crappy keyboarder but I'm enjoying this now!

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Beans
    25
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Quote Originally Posted by raghaven.kumar View Post
    hi guys,
    im using gde in ubuntu
    do i have to edit in the xorg.conf?

    but still i cant see a Synaptics touchpad in it.
    Heres my xorg.conf listings.

    Any suggestions ??
    No solns for me??

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Quote Originally Posted by Handonam View Post
    I like the idea of the command to turn off the touchpad temporarily via

    syndaemon -i 0.5 -d

    but, i find it a bit annoying when i'm typing and moving the mouse at the same time (on purpose). Is there a way to distinguish the clicks between using the finger and the palm? I'm not sure of the pressure commands.

    but it would make the most sense because clicking (or even moving) should be based off of how small and condensed the input is (pointy finger) rather than how spread out it is (stubbier palm).
    I'm running into the same issue. I'm on a Dell 600m, and this howto worked great, and solved my immediate problem of having the cursor move in the middle of writing in a textbox! Buuuuut, now I'm finding it interferes in some things like you mentioned where I'm purposely wanting to use the keyboard and mouse at the same time. I.e., in Firefox, I'll hold down ctrl and click on a bunch of links to open them in the background. There's the lag that I have to account for now, and I have to wait a second before I can continue on. There's been a couple other places where it's interfered, too.

    Maybe shortening the pause would work (can you set it to 0.5?), or would any of the other options that syndaemon offers help? The suggestion to turn off trackpad tapping altogether sounds interesting...I don't usually tap to click, instead opting for the buttons...but sometimes I do tap to click, too.

    As a recent Ubuntu convert, it does make me wonder how they did it in the trackpad software on Windows. I don't ever remember having the initial problems with this issue on XP. Anyway, great job everyone who has helped in this thread!

  7. #87
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    22

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Quote Originally Posted by edmicman View Post
    I'm running into the same issue. I'm on a Dell 600m, and this howto worked great, and solved my immediate problem of having the cursor move in the middle of writing in a textbox! Buuuuut, now I'm finding it interferes in some things like you mentioned where I'm purposely wanting to use the keyboard and mouse at the same time. I.e., in Firefox, I'll hold down ctrl and click on a bunch of links to open them in the background. There's the lag that I have to account for now, and I have to wait a second before I can continue on. There's been a couple other places where it's interfered, too.

    Maybe shortening the pause would work (can you set it to 0.5?), or would any of the other options that syndaemon offers help? The suggestion to turn off trackpad tapping altogether sounds interesting...I don't usually tap to click, instead opting for the buttons...but sometimes I do tap to click, too.

    As a recent Ubuntu convert, it does make me wonder how they did it in the trackpad software on Windows. I don't ever remember having the initial problems with this issue on XP. Anyway, great job everyone who has helped in this thread!


    yea. i'm hoping someone can help figure this one out. Would feel so much better to me as a windows --> linux user

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    6,646
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Quote Originally Posted by edmicman View Post
    I.e., in Firefox, I'll hold down ctrl and click on a bunch of links to open them in the background. There's the lag that I have to account for now, and I have to wait a second before I can continue on. There's been a couple other places where it's interfered, too.

    Maybe shortening the pause would work (can you set it to 0.5?), or would any of the other options that syndaemon offers help? The suggestion to turn off trackpad tapping altogether sounds interesting...I don't usually tap to click, instead opting for the buttons...but sometimes I do tap to click, too.
    Try this command: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...87&postcount=8

    Ignores all super-key presses (so Ctrl+tap should work), allows movement of touchpad (just turns off tapping), and still allows button clicks.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    97

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Hi All,

    I have a Jetta Jetbook notebook and I've gone over all the instructions here for disabling or working with the touchpad.

    In my xorg.conf it shows as a synaptics touchpad:

    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
            Driver          "kbd"
            Option          "CoreKeyboard"
            Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
            Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
            Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
            Driver          "mouse"
            Option          "CorePointer"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
            Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
            Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
            Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
            Driver          "synaptics"
            Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
            Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
            Option          "HorizEdgeScroll"       "0"
            Option          "SHMConfig"             "true"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "stylus"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
            Option          "Type"          "stylus"
            Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "eraser"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
            Option          "Type"          "eraser"
            Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "cursor"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
            Option          "Type"          "cursor"
            Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    As you can see I've added the SHMConfig parameter, but none of the synaptics tools connect and all complain about SHMConfig not working:


    Code:
    dante@dexter:~/Desktop$ sudo syndaemon -i 1 -d
    [sudo] password for dante:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    
    dante@dexter:~/Desktop$ sudo synclient -h
    Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
    tpconfig looks more promising, but even though I turned off touchpad using tpconfig, it still works:

    Code:
    dante@dexter:~/Desktop$ sudo tpconfig -i
    Found Synaptics Touchpad.
    Firmware: 8.96 (multiple-byte mode).
    Sensor type: unknown (0).
    Geometry: rectangular/landscape/up.
    Packets: absolute, 80 packets per second.
    Corner taps disabled;           no tap gestures.
    Edge motion: none.
    Z threshold: 6 of 7.
    2 button mode; corner tap is right button click.
    But when I look at /proc/bus/input/devices, there's no synaptics showing up:
    Code:
    dante@dexter:~/Desktop$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    I: Bus=0017 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
    N: Name="Macintosh mouse button emulation"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse0 event0 
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=3
    
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input1
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=kbd event1 
    B: EV=120013
    B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 feffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
    B: MSC=10
    B: LED=7
    
    I: Bus=0003 Vendor=03f0 Product=061d Version=0110
    N: Name="HP HP Mouse"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.2-2/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=ff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=303
    
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0005 Version=0063
    N: Name="ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse2 event3 
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=103
    
    I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0002 Version=0000
    N: Name="Power Button (FF)"
    P: Phys=button_power/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input4
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=kbd event4 
    B: EV=3
    B: KEY=100000 0 0 0
    
    I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0005 Version=0000
    N: Name="Lid Switch"
    P: Phys=PNP0C0D/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input5
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=event5 
    B: EV=21
    B: SW=1
    
    I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
    N: Name="Power Button (CM)"
    P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input6
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=kbd event6 
    B: EV=3
    B: KEY=100000 0 0 0
    What do I need to look at? It appears that xorg calls the touchpad a synaptics, but under /proc/bus/input/devices it looks like it's a PS2???
    Oh, I do have a HP Wireless USB mouse plugged in at the moment, but have tried to configure w/o having it plugged in.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away...
    Beans
    2,800

    Re: HowTo: Disable Synaptics Touchpad While Typing

    Quote Originally Posted by DantePasquale View Post
    Hi All,

    I have a Jetta Jetbook notebook and I've gone over all the instructions here for disabling or working with the touchpad.

    <snip>

    What do I need to look at? It appears that xorg calls the touchpad a synaptics, but under /proc/bus/input/devices it looks like it's a PS2???
    Oh, I do have a HP Wireless USB mouse plugged in at the moment, but have tried to configure w/o having it plugged in.
    Did you restart the computer after adding SHMConfig to xorg.conf? It doesn't take effect until after X restarts.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •