Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice of "Smart" Mobile phone to suit Ubuntu

Beans

Choice of "Smart" Mobile phone to suit Ubuntu

Hi,
    I'm looking for a smartphone (pda/phone) to suit ubuntu, ie. it has to sync or transfer info to the PC at least for safety of a backup.

On windows I used a Palm Treo 600 currently.

The problem is that I want to develop for the phone with only my linux Pc, not a windows one. On windows I use several but noticably a RAD tool called C.A.S.L. which had a windows IDE and Palm emulator and when working ok, I could sync and copy across new version of the program etc. It also had a conduit to sync the datafiles of the program to a CSV file on the PC. Keeping this data 'open' for me.

My problem therefore on linux is this.
    1/ Sync to linux at least for backing up purposes.
    2/ Probably impossible to get a data conduit for any language or pgrogram, so perhaps the data structure is open, so I can extract from the sync'ed files if the Phone blows up. ie. no locked in data. Possibly transfer vai the Phones SD/memory card would be ok.
    3/ Preferably a language I can develop on the PC, must be a RAD language 'cos the wife likes to learn. Definatley no C C++ C# etc. Perhaps Python? Perl? Phone only development is a compromise worth accepting if the data is extractable/transferable on linux.
    3/ Phone infrastructure can probably only be Symbian, Palm (preferably not), Windows mobile, or a long shot - blackberry. Hi endish phone, keyboard, touch screen preferably, camera etc.

Is there even a possibility of this? with windows PC it was an easy problem.

thanks
    Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Choice of "Smart" Mobile phone to suit Ubuntu

I second your question, as I just (well a few hours ago) broke my qtec... I'm in need for a new smartphone, and I'd like it to work as well as possible with Ubuntu...

- trib'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

am not sure about Windows Mobile, as ive got a windows pda.

am having a hard time getting it to sync, there are tutorials but they never seem to work, but it seems to work for others, and am not sure about Windows Mobile 5 (which i imagine it would have if you got one now)

it is possible - just not for me, so it seems

ive never used one but i would of *thought* Palm would be best bet, as theres tools for it in ubuntu, and Evolution has a Sync button for Palms

Beans

well i did have a motorola v3 razor that worked well with bluetooth
    but on saturday my wife decided to wash it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

but on saturday my wife decided to wash it
    Ouch I feel sorry for you...

So Motorola V3 worked well with bluetooth? What bluetooth tools dod you use (I'm using GNOME)?
    Did you try installing / deleting applications too?

- trib'

Beans

take a look here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

3/ Phone infrastructure can probably only be Symbian, Palm (preferably not), Windows mobile, or a long shot - blackberry. Hi endish phone, keyboard, touch screen preferably, camera etc.
    i wouldn't bother with windows mobile 5 if i were you. its grossly inefficient. symbian was made for mobiles, and although it has its fair share of problems, they are dwarfed when compared to the problems that WM has. for example, WM is extrememy slow, unreliable, and perfoms less well than a symbian phone having just over half the processor speed. just read all the reviews to find out for yourself.
    there are plenty of linux smartphones too. in fact, linux has more than 6 times the smartphone market share that WM has (linux = 26%, WM = 4%). sadly, they are relatively scarce in the UK.
    i've heard that nokia is planning to release a line of linux smartphones soonish.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    i wouldn't bother with windows mobile 5 if i were you. its grossly inefficient. symbian was made for mobiles, and although it has its fair share of problems, they are dwarfed when compared to the problems that WM has. for example, WM is extrememy slow, unreliable, and perfoms less well than a symbian phone having just over half the processor speed. just read all the reviews to find out for yourself.
    there are plenty of linux smartphones too. in fact, linux has more than 6 times the smartphone market share that WM has (linux = 26%, WM = 4%). sadly, they are relatively scarce in the UK.
    i've heard that nokia is planning to release a line of linux smartphones soonish.
    I too would prefer non-windows for that reason. However if thats the compromise i will have to make, then so be it.

Linux smartphone. Is there going to be any advantage to this? is it going to mount, sync, run generic linux software?

By now it looks like there is no sensible options to the programming side. ....anyone?

J

Beans

I actually just read up the Linux tablets stumbled on this topic.

The new Nokia Linux tablets, they actually have NO phone features at all. The closest they have is wi-fi access and probably skype.
    It looks awesome as a PDA style thing but it isn't a phone. =P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Dark X Dragon View Post
    I actually just read up the Linux tablets stumbled on this topic.

The new Nokia Linux tablets, they actually have NO phone features at all. The closest they have is wi-fi access and probably skype.
    It looks awesome as a PDA style thing but it isn't a phone. =P
    you must be referring to nokia 770. thats correct, they have no phone features. they are more something to be carried around the house then to have any use having phone features.
    however, nokia is planning to release some linux smartphones soonish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast