Thread: Online Spanish Dictionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Online Spanish Dictionary

I didn't know where to put this question, but as the cafe is the one that gets the most reads I decided to put it here.

I have one question, I'm a spanish native speaker and the dictionary that comes with Ubuntu doesn't have spanish-to-spanish dictionary it only has spanish-to-english dictionary, so I've tried to find an online spanish dictionary, and I've found it, http://www.rae.es/ the Real Academia Española (Spanish Royal Academy) has a firefox plugin (a java script) that goes into the bookmark toolbar next to getting started, when you select a word in a web-page and you click the "bookmark" it takes you to the definition in their website, my question is, How can I use that script within ubuntu, not only in firefox, and have it display the results in a window without opening firefox. The script looks like this:

javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(!Qr){void (Qr=prompt('Diccionario%20de%20la%20Real%20Academi a%20Espa%C3%83%C2%B1ola.%20Vig%C3%83%C2%A9sima%20s egunda%20edici%C3%83%C2%B3n.%20Teclee%20la%20palab ra%20que%20desea%20consultar:',''))}if(Qr)location .href='http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltGUIBusUsual?TIPO_HTML=2&TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA='+esc ape(Qr)+' '
    Just one more thing, I'm no programmer, I'm a economist. Don't tell me to program this or that, it has to be simple, or you'll have to be willing to teach me.
    Free your mind...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs down Re: Online Spanish Dictionary

Actually, this is a question I've had, too. Did you post your query in Spanish in another Spanish-only forum (since 2005)? Any answer? I've used RAE, personally, but find it less convenient than an actual dictionary. The RAE is a bit better than most things in print, where up-to-date Latin American dialect is concerned -- although frankly they ALL bite bricks. Western Hemisphere Spanish seems to be extremely vibrant and rapidly changing these days. You'd think post-modern Spanish lexicography would be important to Spanish-speakers who use Ubuntu, so there must be SOME tools around??
    "Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun!" - Duffy Wyg&, in Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man

Beans

Re: Online Spanish Dictionary

Have you got the answer? I am looking forward to yours.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Online Spanish Dictionary

I tend to use systransoft.com for some Portuguese-to-english and vice versa translations and it does an O.K. job. Have you tried it before?
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech