Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great site for downloading software for Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Great site for downloading software for Ubuntu

It's like a download.com for Ubuntu! Did u guys know about this? I tried searching around the forums but didn't find another thread on it so I figured I'd post it here:

http://www.getdeb.net/

I'm sure there'll be more sites like this popping up and now that it's so easy to install software just by double-clicking on a .deb, we should really start to rethink the whole virus / security situation. One thought I had was to allow users to install software in their home directories without requiring admin rights. This would enable them to run software in a sandbox that cannot damage the rest of the system. The worst it could do is delete files from or corrupt their home directory, which is obviously potentially terrible but it at least wouldn't spread to the rest of the system. It would still be able to spread over the network so a way to also see which programs are accessing the network and when would be useful too.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Great site for downloading software for Ubuntu

Why the hell would you want to go to a web site, manually download a deb, and install it, when you could just have it automatically installed from a signed deb retrieved from a trusted, secure repository? Managing software from a single program is far easier than having to hunt it down in a web browser, download it, hunt it down in a file browser, and starting an installer.

Beans

not every piece of software is available for ubuntu. I'm assuming that these guys find the software that isn't and make debs of it. havnt looked at the site yet, but that would be the smart thing to do. Or if its really like download.com, it'll be providing reviews and stuff of programs, which could be useful.

edit: it has some common software, and some not so common software.

things i didnt find in the repos:
    SDLJump, Goby, PCMan file manager, Incollector, TunaPie, Geany, GNOME Sudoku, AbsVolume, Agave, Exaile.

granted, they're not ALL useful, but it's nice to have a source for debs that aren't in the repos.
    Last edited by maniacmusician; October 1st, 2006 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

...but it is still good to have another option for programs that you can't find in the repository

thx saracen

Beans

Why ? You've got the main, universe & multiverse + other non-free repos to install software from via a single click in Synaptic/Adept...

Beans
    Hidden!

Installing software that isn't from a trusted repository is a sure way to:
    a) hose your system, since the packager was incompetent
    b) put more work on you, since upgrading won't be automatic
    c) introduces virii and other security threats into the equation. The whole reason Windows has a virus problem is people running all sorts of untrusted programs.

Fortunately, we can at least fix b, since apt is specifically made to accept specific repositories. If these people want to package more software they should just make their own repository for you to add to your lists.

And if you are that upset about Ubuntu's lack of software, just install Debian and you will get the largest repository in existence without the potential compatibility problems between Ubuntu and Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This sounds like one of the biggest security risks imaginable.. Installing things off of random websites, it just seems like asking for it.

Honestly doesn't anyone stop to think about these kinds of things? This is the very root of many of the security problems with Windows and the way to solve it is to have a filter on installable software (in our case let's call it Universe). There is exactly zero trust in that system and if anything in that repo has network access all it needs is a tiny security hole and your box is deadmeat.

Bringing the Windows world one step closer to Linux and not in the good way.. I'm scared.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Why ? You've got the main, universe & multiverse + other non-free repos to install software from via a single click in Synaptic/Adept...
    Why? Because if you're running Dapper you're stuck with the versions of software that were available before feature freeze on Dapper. The level of testing and authentication that goes into making a package for the official repos prevents the latest and greatest software from being available right away and it is also against the policy to have newer versions of software that have feature updates. A perfect example of this is firefox. Dapper will be officially stuck with firefox 1.5 and security fixes will be backported, but it will not update to firefox 2.0 when it is released. If you want the latest software, you need to go elsewhere. This is one new option and I personally think it's great.

However, like I said, the door now opens for malicious software to be introduced since these are unsigned debs that are pre-packaged by someone in the community. The solution is not to restrict users, but to be more intelligent about how we can protect their computers from potential threats. Users will always be on the lookout and will always want to try the latest and greatest.

Beans

a) hose your system, since the packager was incompetent
    Are you assuming I am incompetent ? Are the Ubuntu maintaners incompetent because they broke some hundreds systems they are paid to support ? No, They failed on quality assurance, yes. I and the other people for GetDeb may also fail.

b) put more work on you, since upgrading won't be automatic
    You mean automatic as as you can't get the newest version that you may need ?

c) introduces virii and other security threats into the equation. The whole reason Windows has a virus problem is people running all sorts of untrusted programs.
    Once again you are assuming the people behind GetDeb are not trusthfull while the hundreds of programmers/maintaners are.

Please give me a break.

If you don't feel the need for GetDeb just don't make assumptions or theories about people you don't know nothing about.

Thanks
    Software you want - www.getdeb.net

Beans

This sounds like one of the biggest security risks imaginable.. Installing things off of random websites, it just seems like asking for it.
    1) You are not installing from random sites, you are installing from a single site

2) I get the sources from the same random sites the debian/ubuntu maintaners do, I don't care much aboute quality and system integration as they do, the risk you have is the same of compiling something from the source (unless you usually check the source for malware before compiling/trying, which I guess you don't).

What's next ? Installing from source is a security risk ?
    Software you want - www.getdeb.net

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast