Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: How-to: Installing Torrent-Flux

Beans

Re: How-to: Installing Torrent-Flux

/var/www only contains a index.html so I went to /usr/share/torrentflux/www/downloads and still nothing was there.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    /var/www only contains a index.html so I went to /usr/share/torrentflux/www/downloads and still nothing was there.
    To find out what the current download directory is, log into torrentflux, and then go to "Admin" (there's a link at the top), and then "Settings". The first setting is "Path", which is the download directory.

Go to that directory, and then follow the rest of the instructions.

(Remember that the .torrent sub-directory is hidden. So from the commandline you'll have to use something like "ls -laF" to see it. If you're using a GUI file browser, you'll need to have "show hidden files/directories" turned on.)
    New users: Be sure you understand commands before using them (especially sudo and rm).

Beans

Thank you, it worked. I still had to go in and manually remove the one file from my directory list but that takes two seconds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

hope someone can help me, bit of a n00b.

I get as far as getting the test php working, but te when I try to add the password i get the following error:

Code:
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
    I am trying to set this up logged remotely via ssh if it means anything. I just have the one user on the server.
    Cheers,

Jon Reynolds (j0nr)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jcr1 View Post
    Code:
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
    This probably means that you already have a password set for the MySQL root user. If so, just skip this step. Of course, you'll need to know what that password is for steps 4b and 4c.

(If you're installing torrentflux on a shared hosting server of some kind, it's possible that you won't have access to the MySQL root account. That's fine, as long as you are able to create MySQL databases and users.)

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    New users: Be sure you understand commands before using them (especially sudo and rm).

Beans
    Distro

I cannot remember if or when I created a mysql password.

My setup is a simple home file server, that only I access. I have only one user setup on it, which is me, the admin, set up when ubuntu was installed.

I had installed LAMP before, via synaptic, but since looking at this tutorial have aptitude installed each component, to make sure I had the right things definately installed.

Is there a way to reset the password?

Thanks for your reply.
    Cheers,

Jon Reynolds (j0nr)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How-to Reset the MySQL root password in Ubuntu

I cannot remember if or when I created a mysql password.

Is there a way to reset the password?
    Yes, you can change the MySQL root password. Refer to the instructions here or here; Ubuntu-specific instructions can be found here and here.

Basically, this is what you do (all these commands should be typed into a terminal):

1. Stop the MySQL server process:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
    (It will prompt you for your Linux user/admin password.)

2. Restart MySQL, without user authentication:
    Code:
    sudo mysqld --skip-grant-tables &
    3. Login to MySQL as root (no password required):
    Code:
    mysql -u root mysql
    4. Change the root user's password (to "supersecret" in this example). Enter each of these three commands:
    Code:
     UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('supersecret') WHERE User='root';
     FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
     exit;
    5. Restart MySQL server:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart

After that, you should be able to use "mysql" and "mysqladmin" with the new password.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How-to Reset the MySQL root password in Ubuntu

Excellent! Thank you so much! Got this working now...
    Cheers,

Jon Reynolds (j0nr)

Beans
    Distro

sorry one little question, when you chmod 777 the downloads folder to enable write access in the final few steps, I assume I could enter any directory there where I would like my downloads to go? or does it have to be within /var/www/?

For example, could I stick it in my home directory?
    Cheers,

Jon Reynolds (j0nr)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sorry one little question, when you chmod 777 the downloads folder to enable write access in the final few steps, I assume I could enter any directory there where I would like my downloads to go? or does it have to be within /var/www/?

For example, could I stick it in my home directory?
    Yes, in principle you can select any directory you want. The default is "/var/www/torrentflux/downloads/", but you can change that once torrentflux is installed by loggin-in and going to "admin" > "settings" and change "Path" to whatever you've chosen.

Notes about using a non-standard download folder:
    * Your download folder must be on a Linux partition (e.g. ext3) and not a mounted Windows partition (e.g. NTFS).
    * The web server (user "www-data") must be able to read/traverse the path to the download folder. So you for example if you are using "/home/bob/downloads/" as the path, you must make sure that "/home/bob/" can at least be read by the webserver (permissions "drwxr-xr-x") and that the download folder can be written to (permissions "drwxrwxrwx").

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast