Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: How-to: Installing Torrent-Flux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How-to: Installing Torrent-Flux

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDancer View Post
    Tried both, one, tested then the other. Still getting the 404 error.
    Okay. First, double check that you are spelling the name of the directory correctly. Make sure that "/var/www/torrentflux/" matches "http://localhost/torrentflux/"

Probably that's not the problem, but it's always good to double-check these things!

Now, try renaming that directory and see if it works with the new name:
    Code:
    cd /var/www/
    mv torrentflux flux
    Then go to:
    http://localhost/flux/

If the above change fixes your problem, then good! What it may mean is that the torrentflux install you did before (via Synaptic) put a redirect into the apache webserver, telling it (for instance) to link "/var/www/torrentflux/" to some other directory (like "/usr/share/torrentflux/" or whatever it is).

(You can then either use the new name, "flux" or whatever, or find the config line in apache, probably in "/etc/apache2/", and change it.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That got it, I will continue from there...Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Ok, wow! IT really works, I made one mistake on first log in though, Can I change the login and password in some file some where?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, wow! IT really works, I made one mistake on first log in though, Can I change the login and password in some file some where?
    You can change your login password by logging into torrentflux with the admin account (the first one you made), then going to "admin" and then "my profile". You can create new users by going to "admin", then "new user".

If you're lost/forgotten the admin username/password, it gets more tricky.

The initial login/password become the admin username/password for torrentflux. It's stored in the MySQL database "torrentflux" in a table called "tf_uses". The password is stored in the database encrypted, so extracting it or changing it isn't really easy.

To reset the admin account, you can probably delete the one user from the tf_uses table, and then login again to torrentflux. (I've never tried this: I'm just guessing that it would work.)

Or, since you've just installed, you can delete the entire torrentflux database and re-create it using the script mentioned before.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Addendum:

I think it's not too difficult to change the password in the torrentflux MySQL database. Torrentflux uses the "md5" command in PHP to generate an md5 hash of the password you supply. So you can do the same thing.

Let's say you want your new password to be "secret" (without the quotes). This is what you do. First create a php file like this:
    Code:
    cd /var/www/
    nano md5.php
    In the file, put this simple code:
    Code:
    <?php
    print md5("secret")
    ?>
    Then when you check the page http://localhost/md5.php you'll see the hash:
    Code:
    5ebe2294ecd0e0f08eab7690d2a6ee69
    Copy that hash string and save it somewhere. (For security reasons, you should promptly delete the md5.php file.)

Now update the database, and put that new hash in place of the old one. This is very easy to do with the web-based "phpmyadmin" utility. If you don't have phpmyadmin, you can do it the commandline way:
    Code:
    mysql -uroot -p
    (Enter your MySQL root password.) Then enter these MySQL commands:
    Code:
    mysql> USE torrentflux;
    mysql> UPDATE tf_users SET password="5ebe2294ecd0e0f08eab7690d2a6ee69" WHERE uid=1;
    mysql> quit;
    This changes the password of the first torrentflux user (uid 1) to what you've chosen.

Obviously, instead of "secret" you put the password you want, and instead of the hash "5ebe..." you put the one that you got from the md5.php page you made.

Beans
    Distro

Oh I think I give up, the webserver end is working but I can't get the torrent end going, nor find any info, I guess I'll go a different way....

Beans

Kebes thanks for all your help so far, you make using the Ubuntu forums a pleasure.

Played with the permissions and I can now log back in 755 did the trick, now my last issue is......

I added another drive to my machine and mounted it as

/media/torrentdrive

Which holds the following directories

drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 4096 2007-08-30 22:12 active
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-08-30 21:36 complete
    drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2007-08-30 21:27 lost+found

The active directory is of course where I point my Torrentflux to for active torrents.
    Now what happens is that every time I upload a new torrent then try to activate it it simply fails. (Download Failed!)

Being I know little about sql etc... does it matter that the Data Base is located on one drive and the download (in my case 'Active') directory lives on another?

What could be causing this.
    Last edited by mcdeath; September 4th, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mcdeath View Post
    Kebes thanks for all your help so far, you make using the Ubuntu forums a pleasure.
    Thanks for the compliment! And, of course, you're welcome!

Now what happens is that every time I upload a new torrent then try to activate it it simply fails. (Download Failed!)
    Having the MySQL and data directories on separate drives should make no difference.

I suspect it's more of a mounting problem. I notice that the directories are owned by "root" ... I'm guessing that your mounted drive is owned by root, which makes it difficult for other programs to have permission to access it (even though you correctly set the directory to be world-writeable).

How is it mounted? Are you doing it manually (via "sudo mount") or did you add the drive to "/etc/fstab" ?

Try this test: go into the directory "/media/torrentdrive/active" and make a new file. Are you able to create a file without using "sudo" or your admin password?
    Code:
    cd /media/torrentdrive/active
    touch testfile.txt

If you are not able to do that, then you need to change mounting permissions. If you are mounting manually, switch instead to using "fstab" to mount. (Either by using the mounting GUI tool in Ubuntu, or by carefully editing the file "/etc/fstab" and reboot or do "sudo mount -a" for changes to take effect.)

If you're already using fstab:
    Check your "/etc/fstab" file and see what it says. You probably have a line like:
    Code:
    /dev/hdb1    /media/torrentdrive  ext3  defaults  0    2
    You can try changing the mount options from "defaults" (which normally work fine...) to "auto,users,rw,exec,uid=mcdeath,gid=mcdeath"
    Code:
    /dev/hdb1    /media/torrentdrive  ext3  auto,users,rw,exec,uid=mcdeath,gid=mcdeath  0    0
    What this is doing is letting users mount the drive as read-write, and moreover is setting the owner of the mounted partition as user "mcdeath". This way, it acts like a "normal" directory in your filesystem, rather than being a "root protected" directory.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I changed my mind and am giving up on giving up. I seem to have hosed things though, is there any way to delete everything and start over?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, I changed my mind and am giving up on giving up. I seem to have hosed things though, is there any way to delete everything and start over?
    Starting fresh is quite easy. Just delete the contents of the torrentflux directory ("/var/www/torrentflux" or "/var/www/flux" if you renamed it), and delete the MySQL table for torrentflux.
    Code:
    cd /var/www/flux/
    rm * -r
    then
    Code:
    mysql -uroot -p
    mysql> DROP DATABASE torrentflux;
    mysql> quit;

Then go back to how-to and start at the beginning.

(Actually, you can start entirely fresh by just using new names, like "tflux" instead of "torrentflux" for both the directory and the MySQL database...)

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast