Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid to use Windows.

Beans

I'm afraid to use Windows.

I recently baught Windows XP Pro from my University for $7. And I'm afraid to install it.

I don't care about the viruses, I've used Windows before and never got them. I don't care that it's hard/tricky/annoying to use, I'm pretty computer savy, and after fiddling with it, I can probably set it up like I want.

The reason that I'm afraid to install it, is that I'm afraid to register it. I've gotten such a sweet deal on it, that god forbit it screws up and tells me that I have an ungenuine version, or if I have to switch computers, I will have to shell out at least another $100 just to use it again.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: I'm afraid to use Windows.

No, has not happened to me because I ditched Windows just in time.

But why do you want to use Windows after all? Being a Ubuntu user you could not care less, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: I'm afraid to use Windows.

Use the XP CD as a Frisbee only ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just don't use it? Unless you absolutely NEED it, there are likely native solutions for your needs, or at least some compatibility with WINE.

Beans

I bought it mainly because my dad said to buy it. It's cheap, and it may come in handy some day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I were you, I'd report your university to Microsoft. Seriously. Legitimate Windows XP Pro does not cost anyone $7, regardless of education discounts. Who knows, the university might lose its Microsoft site license and be forced to adopt Linux?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Isn't it a genuine copy? Why be afraid...why not use it?

I would disable any internet component I could in XP and do my online through my Linux OS.Powertoys for windows will remove the hardwired icons as well as remove other vital internet components.

This is how my MS partition is set up for my children to play their Wintendo stuff. There's no need for internet for any of their activities in MS, so why have access?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    If I were you, I'd report your university to Microsoft. Seriously. Legitimate Windows XP Pro does not cost anyone $7, regardless of education discounts. Who knows, the university might lose its Microsoft site license and be forced to adopt Linux?
    Microsoft cuts deals with schools all the time. I can get XP Home and Office 2003 for $67 each (still way more than the 7 bucks the original poster payed, but still way less than you could buy in stores). A lot of colleges give away windows/office for free or offer them at ridiculously low prices ($7). I assume the university is making up some of the difference.

I know a lot of people like to bash windows for their high prices and what not, but they actually are pretty good about reducing prices for educational reasons. The same goes for other major software manufacturers (e.g. adobe/macromedia).

Getting back to the original post, I wouldn't worry about installing windows. I seriously don't think you'll have any activation/validation problems. Even if you do, you should be able to just call up the microsoft hotline and fix the problem. The horror stories you read about on the internet represent a small fraction of microsoft users.

-teet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Just install it but dont let automatic updates run without your permission. If you ever see "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" there, run as fast as you can and dont look back. Otherwise you'll turn to salt
    Registered Ubuntu User # 4119
    Have you Prayed today?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by punkinside View Post
    Just install it but dont let automatic updates run without your permission. If you ever see "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" there, run as fast as you can and dont look back. Otherwise you'll turn to salt
    set it up so that it downloads the updates but ask your permission before installing. When it's time, take the advanced road and de-select WGA and do the updates. Next time when there's only WGA on the list, you can just unmark and check that you will not be asked to install this particular update anymore
    Thou shalt not kill -9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast