Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

Beans

Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

thanks for the very quick reply. I get:
    Code:
     sudo prevu-init
    I: Building against currently running distro: hardy
    W: /home/brianokeefe/.pbuilderrc does not exist
    Distribution is hardy.
    Building the build environment
     -> running debootstrap
    /usr/sbin/debootstrap
    I: Retrieving Release
    I: Retrieving Packages
    I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
    I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
    W: Failure trying to run: chroot /var/cache/prevu/builds/8201/. mount -t proc proc /proc
    pbuilder: debootstrap failed
     -> Aborting with an error
     -> cleaning the build env 
        -> removing directory /var/cache/prevu/builds/8201 and its subdirectories
    pbuilder sub-process failed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /var/cache/prevu/builds/8201/. mount -t proc proc /proc

That's a pbuilder error, not prevu's fault. Pointless blame-punting aside, are you running a grsec kernel or other hardened kernel with chroot restrictions?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

I'm running a vanilla 2.6.24-19 kernel. The newer kernel has problems. I don't know what a grsec kernel is....
    I'll boot into 24-21 and see what happens and report back.

Beans

As I'm running a powerpc kernel I wonder if that's the problem. PowerPc is no longer supported and is now a ported distro.
    I booted into the newest kernel for Hardy for PowerPc, 2.6.24-21 and ran prevu-init:

Code:
    sudo prevu-init
    [sudo] password for brianokeefe: 
    Distribution is hardy.
     -> running debootstrap
    /usr/sbin/debootstrap
    E: Failed getting release file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/Release
        -> removing directory /var/cache/prevu/builds/7235 and its subdirectories
    How do I get Prevu to use the release for PowerPC? I think that it is here:
    http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/hardy/Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ah, I think you found the problem then! I don't know of a cleaner way than to manually edit prevu, prevu-init, and prevu-update in /usr/bin with a search-and-replace. It's all legible (pretty well written) Python, so it should be self-explanatory which lines need a bit of mirror mangling
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Hmmm...
    I edited the appropriate files as you suggested Jdong (Thanks for the quick reply once again!). I wasn't exactly sure about the correct mirror. I tried to follow the site to the same point that would get to the /dist subdirectory as you had originally written the code. In my case that was:

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/

as opposed to your:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

In each case they both have the same subdirectories so I'm assuming that this should work. Unfortunately I got:

Code:
    ~$ sudo prevu-init
    Distribution is hardy.
     -> running debootstrap
    /usr/sbin/debootstrap
    I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
    I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
    W: Failure trying to run: chroot /var/cache/prevu/builds/8074/. mount -t proc proc /proc
        -> removing directory /var/cache/prevu/builds/8074 and its subdirectories
    this is when booted into the 24-21 kernel too. I'm baffled.

Beans

Hi,

Is there a way to backport with using pbuilder but not prevu? It seems prevu changes the changelog itself and adds the extension ~prevu1 or something close to that. Can I set my own extension with prevu? ~martinistudio1 for example?

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by martinistudio; October 30th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Editing prevu's source code, it's fairly obvious where prevu keeps track of what version suffix to append. But prevu uses pbuilder internally.

The python code should be fairly readable; prevu is a convenience tool, it doesn't do anything mysteriously magical.

Beans

I'll look into that, thanks

Is it possible to backport a kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by martinistudio View Post
    I'll look into that, thanks

Is it possible to backport a kernel?
    I would not recommend the use of prevu to do so, as kernel source packages in Ubuntu don't quite get version information from the debian/changelog directly.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast