Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 285

Thread: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    30

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    I figured it out, was a bad deb source in my sources.list file. Sorry for the false alarm. Now i'm back to where I started, with everything I try to build yielding the same error. Thanks for the help!
    -Brendan

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    What you need to do is apt-get source rhythmbox, edit debian/control, and change the libgpod-dev dependency from 0.4.0-0ubuntu3 to 0.4.0-0ubuntu3~6.10prevu1. Then, you can just issue prevu in the unpacked source directory you just edited and it'll build.
    Worked great.
    "It never hurts to help [unless you accidentally hose someone's system]." -- Eek the Cat

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    232
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    I am trying to backport Kaffeine 0.8.3 but for some reason Prevu doesn't detect the need for the LAME development files. Kaffeine compiles fine and the debian packages are made, but theres no CD encoding as a result of the lack of LAME.

    How can I force Prevu to download the LAME dev package? Thanks

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    1,377

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    Quote Originally Posted by megamaced View Post
    I am trying to backport Kaffeine 0.8.3 but for some reason Prevu doesn't detect the need for the LAME development files. Kaffeine compiles fine and the debian packages are made, but theres no CD encoding as a result of the lack of LAME.

    How can I force Prevu to download the LAME dev package? Thanks
    you can try to edit debian/control file. You need to d/l the source, edit the dependencies and run 'prevu' from the source directory
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Beans
    5,092
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    Quote Originally Posted by megamaced View Post
    How can I force Prevu to download the LAME dev package? Thanks
    The only way to force prevu to install a package in the build environment is the proper Debian way: to add the package name to Build-Depends: in debian/control of the source. I think I've already said once or twice in this thread how to roughly do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    125

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    I tried to backport the kernel image and got the following error:

    Code:
    cat: /var/cache/prevu/src/11769/linux-source-2.6.19-2.6.19/debian/abi/2.6.19-7.11/abiname: No such file or directory
    # Check for the previous kernel's abi file; now a requirement for builds!
    Missing /var/cache/prevu/src/11769/linux-source-2.6.19-2.6.19/debian/abi/2.6.19-7.11/abiname file.
    I used the command:
    Code:
    prevu linux-image-2.6.19-7-powerpc
    What do i need to do?

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    1,377

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    Quote Originally Posted by fuoco View Post
    I tried to backport the kernel image and got the following error:

    Code:
    cat: /var/cache/prevu/src/11769/linux-source-2.6.19-2.6.19/debian/abi/2.6.19-7.11/abiname: No such file or directory
    # Check for the previous kernel's abi file; now a requirement for builds!
    Missing /var/cache/prevu/src/11769/linux-source-2.6.19-2.6.19/debian/abi/2.6.19-7.11/abiname file.
    I used the command:
    Code:
    prevu linux-image-2.6.19-7-powerpc
    What do i need to do?
    I do not think, that you can backport the kernel using prevu. What you need to do is to get the kernel source and build the kernel using one of various howtos available on this forum.
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    1,377

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    I am thinking about writing a new howto for prevu putting together jdong's comments and some other tips. Otherwise I can put them together and send to jdong to update this thread.
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Beans
    5,092
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    Kernels currently cannot be backported using prevu because prevu puts that ~version trailer, which confuses the heck out of the kernel building scripts.

    For moral political and ethical reasons I will not release a version of prevu that does not mangle versions; that's just plain irresponsible. But, you guys can modify your prevu to do that. Make a temporary copy of prevu (i.e. cp /usr/bin/prevu /tmp/), then edit /tmp/prevu and find where the map of version trailers to distro releases are, and blank out the version trailers.

    Don't do this unless you absolutely must, i.e. for a kernel package, prolonged exposure may lead to skin cancer and wrinkles.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    232
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    The only way to force prevu to install a package in the build environment is the proper Debian way: to add the package name to Build-Depends: in debian/control of the source. I think I've already said once or twice in this thread how to roughly do that.
    I edited the debian/control file and put liblame-dev in there but Prevu still refuses to compile Kaffeine with Lame encoding support. Do you know why this is?

    BTW, has anyone successfully backported Firefox 2.0 using Prevu? I was backporting to Dapper but Prevu failed right at the end. Not sure what went wrong
    Last edited by megamaced; December 30th, 2006 at 04:51 PM.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •