Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

Beans

Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

Would it be possible to use prevu to backport some mesa packages with newer drivers for my video card ?

Beans

Another question, can I use prevu to backport a package from debian unstable/testing instead of feisty (a package that's not yet synced in feisty) ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuoco View Post
    Would it be possible to use prevu to backport some mesa packages with newer drivers for my video card ?
    I guess it will involve backporting the whole X which is really not advisable.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

Another question, can I use prevu to backport a package from debian unstable/testing instead of feisty (a package that's not yet synced in feisty) ?
    I am not sure if you can do it, but you can try and let us know. However I doubt if it is possible to do straight forward. You may need to fetch the packages and change version numbers and maybe some other stuff in debian/control. It may be easier to fetch the packages and try to rebuild it with dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I am not sure if you can do it, but you can try and let us know. However I doubt if it is possible to do straight forward. You may need to fetch the packages and change version numbers and maybe some other stuff in debian/control. It may be easier to fetch the packages and try to rebuild it with dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot.
    Thanks. I would like to try that but I don't really know how, I never build packages in ubuntu/debian before...

Beans

Thanks. I would like to try that but I don't really know how, I never build packages in ubuntu/debian before...
    I did and in general it is not very difficult but could be a pain sometimes, really

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I did and in general it is not very difficult but could be a pain sometimes, really
    Can you tell me what I should do to use prevu with debian unstable packages ?

Beans

Can you tell me what I should do to use prevu with debian unstable packages ?
    I did not use prevu, I used
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, prevu can indeed backport Debian Sid or other source packages.

You can either:
    (1) fetch and unpack the sources yourself, and when in the directory that contains the debian/ control dir, issue "prevu" with no arguments
    (2) Give prevu the path or URL to a .dsc file. For example, on http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/torrentflux.html, we see a link to : http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...flux_2.1-6.dsc

Invoke prevu as:
    Code:
    prevu http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/torrentflux/torrentflux_2.1-6.dsc
    and it'll fetch the sources, unpack, then backport.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for this great tool. I'm having trouble with a two-part backport of Feisty's Rhythmbox to Edgy. Rhythmbox in Feisty needs an updated gpod lib, which I've backported using prevu and installed. However, I still get this error:

Code:
     -> Considering  libgpod-dev (>= 0.4.0-0ubuntu3)
          Tried versions: 0.4.0-0ubuntu3~6.10prevu1 0.3.2-1.1ubuntu1
       -> Does not satisfy version, not trying
    E: Could not satisfy build-dependency.
    This seems to indicate that it sees the updated libgpod but doesn't believe that it satisfies the dependency, even though it looks like it should. What's going on here? Thanks.
    "It never hurts to help [unless you accidentally hose someone's system]." -- Eek the Cat

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast