Thread: Open source hardware drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Open source hardware drivers

When you're buying new hardware for your computer, it very rarely ways that it works with linux, so you have to go home and check in forums or wikis. A terrible inconveinience. It almost always says whether it works with windoze or not, and sometimes wheter it works with mac, but almost never Linux.
    Have a look at a picture of a box from a wirless card which i've attached (box.jpg). Notice "Designed for Windoze XP". It isn't. Ralink (the makers of the chipset) ship Windoze, Open Source Linux drivers and Mac drivers on their website.

So, here's my proposal: A universal "Open Source Drivers Available" logo. I've attached a few ideas. (osd.zip).
    It's supposed to be a microchip with the Open Source logo(http://www.opensource.org/trademarks...rce-110x95.png) on it, but I can't draw! My favourite is osd-opensource.bmp, but with a red logo: green for open source software, red for open source drivers.

What do people think (about the idea, not my drawing skills!). Could anyone improve it? Whic one(s) do you prefer? Once i've got a few ideas/comments, I might tell www.opensource.org about the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alecjw; September 30th, 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Open source hardware drivers

Good idea! good logos too even if they need some gimp gurus help...

ps .bmp are you kidding me?

Beans
    Distro

I'm using windoze right now - I can't compile the open source drivers for my new wireless card which arrived yesterday! I could have used jpg but it doesn't work very well in ms paint, which i used to recolour/add text to the pics.

Beans
    Distro

Ok. I got bored so I eamiled osi@opensource.org.

Beans
    Distro

I've made something in gimp/OOo draw. What do people think?

And I know the lines on the side are a bit.. strange. Can't work out why.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You NEED to make the logo in svg format because gimp formats arn't good enough for logos that'll be printed out.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

The hardware vendors' reasons for not notifying users about Linux drivers on the box have nothing to do with not having the appropriate artwork. They just think that the average (or sub-average) Windows user may think that since the hardware is supported on multiple systems, it's not as good on Windows (of course, we know this is not true.)
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IYY View Post
    The hardware vendors' reasons for not notifying users about Linux drivers on the box have nothing to do with not having the appropriate artwork. They just think that the average (or sub-average) Windows user may think that since the hardware is supported on multiple systems, it's not as good on Windows (of course, we know this is not true.)
    It's a good as idea, but, just like a poll choice in another thread, easier said than done