Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gnome vs. kde

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

gnome vs. kde

just read Carsten's blog (the author of Kalzium) about the edubuntu people creating gallium without contacting him once.

http://cniehaus.livejournal.com/27154.html

If that's indeed the case, I think that's really really disappointing.
    What do you think?

Beans

Re: gnome vs. kde

I find it odd that they didn't even bother to contact him, but as long as people write code that is tied to DE/ Toolkit X, the exact same wheel will always be re-invented by folks who prefer DE/ Toolkit Y. It's simply a fact of life.

Edit:

Ok, I've just seen that Edubuntu currently includes the entire KDE Edutainment suite, so I'm wondering whether they intend to re-write this entire suite to make it GNOME-based or, if not, why on Earth they've chosen to pick on Kalzium as a target for replacement
    Last edited by GeneralZod; September 30th, 2006 at 10:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wasted energy which could be used for better purposes not the first nor the last time in OS history.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is nothing wrong with writing a version of software for a specific DE. The real problem is when GNOME's extreme NIH syndrome affects non-desktop software, too (e.g. Avahi, to replace a superior, free reference implementation of zeroconf). That and the hypocrites who whine about, say, Krita competing with The GIMP (when they don't even focus on the same job), yet have a laundry list of software "Linux" is missing that KDE has had for 8 years, software which is superior to any competition out there. A quick browse of these forums finds thousands of requests for GTK+ competitors for big names like Amarok or K3B all the way down to KSnapshot.

If these people want to do something useful, they should improve GNOME's impoverished developer environment. The reason all these attempts to port KDE software use twice the development time and only produce something a tenth as useful, and which is full of bugs, is that GNOME doesn't have the developer tools to write good software. How about some GNOME libraries that actually make writing software easier? They CANNOT make a Kalzium replacement. Kalzium is simply too excellent because the developers had the fantastic libraries and development programs of KDE, and GNOME's development environment does not allow for software like that to come about in a manageable way. Two years from now Gallium will be where Kalzium was in a month.

Frankly, GNOME is an extremely poor choice for Edubuntu anyway. All the good free educational software is KDE-based, and KDE has a far superior system for administration and security.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfen Razormaw View Post
    There is nothing wrong with writing a version of software for a specific DE. The real problem is when GNOME's extreme NIH syndrome affects non-desktop software, too (e.g. Avahi, to replace a superior, free reference implementation of zeroconf). That and the hypocrites who whine about, say, Krita competing with The GIMP (when they don't even focus on the same job), yet have a laundry list of software "Linux" is missing that KDE has had for 8 years, software which is superior to any competition out there. A quick browse of these forums finds thousands of requests for GTK+ competitors for big names like Amarok or K3B all the way down to KSnapshot.

If these people want to do something useful, they should improve GNOME's impoverished developer environment. The reason all these attempts to port KDE software use twice the development time and only produce something a tenth as useful, and which is full of bugs, is that GNOME doesn't have the developer tools to write good software. How about some GNOME libraries that actually make writing software easier? They CANNOT make a Kalzium replacement. Kalzium is simply too excellent because the developers had the fantastic libraries and development programs of KDE, and GNOME's development environment does not allow for software like that to come about in a manageable way. Two years from now Gallium will be where Kalzium was in a month.

Frankly, GNOME is an extremely poor choice for Edubuntu anyway. All the good free educational software is KDE-based, and KDE has a far superior system for administration and security.
    ever so slightly biased . and total rubbish too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfen Razormaw View Post

kde is crap and buggy and unuseable, and to think I've been a happy kde user for the past 5 years.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    ever so slightly biased . and total rubbish too.
    Sounds biased but in reality it's somewhat true. All the "good" educational packages are qt based...go poke around on freshmeat if you don't believe me. From a technical standpoint qt is superior to gtk+...that is not bias, that is a fact. Both gtk+ and qt have there great apps....

qt- k3b, amarok etc etc
    gtk - firefox, gimp etc etc....

It's all a matter of choice really.

Beans
    Distro

All the "good" educational packages are qt based.
    aye, thats true. but i wasn't disputing that. i was referring to the rest of his rant.
    besides, theres not much advantage in having good educational packages if they're on a buggy and crash-prone desktop environment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    aye, thats true. but i wasn't disputing that. i was referring to the rest of his rant.
    besides, theres not much point in having good educational packages if they're just going to sit on a buggy and crash-prone desktop environment.
    I don't understand why they just don't make edubuntu kde based? All the edu packages are qt...it makes sense. I mean to me it seems like a waste of time trying to port something over to gtk+ when the qt based version is right there and will more then likely be better in the end anyway. That effort can be put to use elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro

I mean to me it seems like a waste of time trying to port something over to gtk+ when the qt based version is right there and will more then likely be better in the end anyway.
    maybe there's a hidden agenda, because there's lots of packages that are being ported to gtk from qt. maybe now that qt has gone public, a lot of people are getting worried. i don't know. take that and many other shifts from qt/kde to gnome/gtk, its looking like the future is gtk/gnome based.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast