Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Case sensitivity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Case sensitivity

I've heard OSX has got rid of UNIX case sensitivity. I believe that's a good thing. We humans use case to very different things than computers, and computers should work as close as we humans do. So my question is: do you guys know if there are any plans to free Ubuntu users from case sensitivity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Case sensitivity

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most
    of us think case sensitivity is a good thing.

I doubt ubuntu has any such plans.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can promise you I'll leave Ubuntu forever if it makes such an idiotic move.

I'd also like to see your sources for such a claim.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's a source:
    Insensitive!

Note that HFS+ is a case preserving, case insensitive filesystem, which can be rather jarring in situations such as the following:
    Code:
    # tar -tf freebsd.tar 
    FreeBSD.txt 
    freebsd.txt 
    # The tar file contains two files 
    # tar -xvf freebsd.tar 
    FreeBSD.txt 
    freebsd.txt 
    # ls *.txt 
    freebsd.txt
    The Apple Technical Note titled HFS Plus Volume Format describes HFS+ internals in great detail.

Beans

Personally, I would like to see case sensitivity done away with. This would be an interesting subject for a poll.

noynac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

First thing for discussing anything in a civilized way is not calling the other side "idiotic". There are obvious reasons for a computer to be case sensitive, being the main one that is easier to program. But computers and most especially desktop systems are built to be used by humans and, I must insist, humans don't believe that "dog", "Dog", "dOg", "doG" or "DOG" are different names for a thing. A document (a file) for a human is a thing with a name and it makes little sense to make the distinction of file names based on case sensitivity.

When designing a system to be used by humans, there has to be a clear separation between the system's needs and the user's needs. I really don't care if filenames only used by the system are case sensitive, but names used regularly by the user MUST be case insensitive if we intend the system to be easy on humans. It's up to the programmers to decide if they have it easier by making the whole system case insensitive or a mix of both ways, but there's little doubt about how humans put names to things.
    Last edited by sicofante; September 30th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be fair, when I said "idiotic" it was in reference to the word "it" of which I am a large part of, as is many others. I should have chosen more carefully because I don't want to insult others with my late night poor choice of words.

My apologies to the communitY.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Case sensitivity rocks! If case sensitivity was removed, when you upgraded to a case insensitive version of Ubuntu, your ext3 partition might still have multiple files with the same name in different cases. Ubuntu would probably do something like merge the 2 files together, or dlete one (or both). Not nice.

Edit: I have an idea to make things easier:
    If you were to try to open a file called fIlEnaME.eXt, but there was no file with that name, but there was one with the same name in a different case (eg Filename.EXT, it should open that one.
    Last edited by alecjw; September 30th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.

Beans

case sensitivity can be a pain sometimes when you're using terminal, but in the end its a very good thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    case sensitivity can be a pain sometimes when you're using terminal, but in the end its a very good thing.
    May I ask why is it "a very good thing" for the Regular User? Let me make clear that I'm talking about a desktop system designed for the home/office user. AFAIK this is the target of the Ubuntu OS in its desktop version (server OSs are a whole different story, since they're used by computer trained people). I know programmers like things as they are (after all, they created them and got used to them for decades!), but the other two OSs for the desktop understood what I've stated: in the world of ordinary people (i.e. non-geeks) things are named without case in mind. Why would it be good to do it otherwise?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast