View Poll Results: Who do you agree with?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hollywood (the moviemakers)

2 2.78%
  • the Electronic Frontier Foundation

70 97.22%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hollywood says piracy affects the entire US economy

Beans

Re: Hollywood says piracy effects the entire US economy

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89 View Post
    In Pittsburgh you their still playing The Rocky Horror Picture Show in some theaters around Halloween. It's a 70's musical about a couple who's car breaks down and they walk to an old house to phone for help but the house is full of transvestites. I've never been to it but from what my parents say is people dress up for the parts, sing along with the movie, squirt eachother with squirtguns, throw toilet paper at the screen, and a whole bunch of other freaky stuff. The audience participation is supposidly half the act.
    Rocky Horror rocks! It's so funny to see the whole performance (and to be part of it).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

But you have to go see it in a venue that serves alcohol...

Beans

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't agree with piracy. But I can't help but challenge the premise that it hurts the economy to have people not blow disposable income on relatively trivial things.

Tom
    <a href="http://www.westsiderentals.com/southerncalifornia/apartments.cfm/West-Hollywood-Apartments/">West Hollywood Apartments </a>

Beans

They're the industry, of course they're going to say it affects jobs (it doesn't), they think of it like this.

If a movie theater holds 100 people, and 1,000 people "pirate" their movie instead of going to the theater, then ten movie theaters will go out of business, even though there may have been 100,000 movie theaters.

Also applied to DVD:

Everybody in the world that can't afford to buy every $20 DVD we put out that they may want to watch one time is causing bad things to happen to the economy.

(ignoring the fact that the rental business may actually have doubled)

The movie industry is using a typical broken window fallacy with themselves cast as the little boy who threw the stone...

Anyway, I found a video about the industry's take on piracy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Beans

Feh I tell you piracy is very appealing to me right now, these fat cat worthless companies dont deserve a dime from me...
    They want to produce crap and leave anything of high quality in the mud, piracy is giving them what they deserve.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Feh I tell you piracy is very appealing to me right now, these fat cat worthless companies dont deserve a dime from me...
    They want to produce crap and leave anything of high quality in the mud, piracy is giving them what they deserve.
    Exactly.

These movies anymore have so many product placements (I, Robot), and no real story anymore, if they want to know why their sales are declining, maybe it's because they're offending people.

I took a bite and went to see that Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I really had to hold my nose to make it through the whole thing.

Beans

Lets not give CPR to a long deceased thread on a topic thrashed to hades and back .

And probably fractures the CoC
    This account is not active.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123