Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install basic G15Tools support for the Logitech G15

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install basic G15Tools support for the Logitech G15

Just crossposting with the G15 forum but I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Anyway, I have been able to get this keyboard functioning normal, except for a small problem with the XF86AudioStop and the Super_L/left meta/windows key.

Both keys work properly if I don't use g15macro. But the XF86AudioStop keycode changes to XF86AudioLowerVolume when g15macro is loaded. And the keycode the Super_L key sends changes according to which set of macro's is loaded, it is XF86Messenger on M1, F29 on M2 and scaron(š) on M3.

Apparently the super_l key gets treated as G17, while my G15 keyboard only has G1 to G6 (it is a G15 v2). So I tried setting G17 to Super_L in the g15macro.conf but the program just completely ignores this and uses the defaults instead.

If I enter 'g15macro -d' to dump the configuration to stdout, the configuration file even gets overwritten with the default values.

Anyone knows a way to fix this?
    Last edited by MadEgg; October 18th, 2008 at 09:38 AM.

Beans

Anyone knows how to make this work on a G15 v2?

Beans

Right, I wrote a patch for g15-macro-1.0.3 to support V2 keyboards as well. The main difference is the addition of a command line flag --second (-2) that reduces the number of remapped keys from 18 to 6, and also fixes the keycodes for the multimedia keys which seem to be different on the v2 keyboard(but I'm not completely sure, that could be just my configuration, someone should try it out).

Hope this is of help to someone, i'll also submit the patch on the project page as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: HOWTO: Install basic G15Tools support for the Logitech G15

@MadEgg: Thanks! I just got my G15 v2 today (replacing one of those Old-School Beige Compaq Keyboards Of Fail), and was wondering why the macro keys weren't working. So far, your patch works flawlessly.
    - Jeffery

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadEgg View Post
    Right, I wrote a patch for g15-macro-1.0.3 to support V2 keyboards as well. The main difference is the addition of a command line flag --second (-2) that reduces the number of remapped keys from 18 to 6, and also fixes the keycodes for the multimedia keys which seem to be different on the v2 keyboard(but I'm not completely sure, that could be just my configuration, someone should try it out).

Hope this is of help to someone, i'll also submit the patch on the project page as well.
    I have an original Logitech G15 with G1 - G18, but also have the problem with the left windows button. It doesn't seem to do anything anymore, but when inspecting the g15macro debugging info it seems to behave as G17. Will this patch work for me as well?
    Last edited by RatSAT; November 5th, 2008 at 02:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RatSAT View Post
    I have an original Logitech G15 with G1 - G18, but also have the problem with the left windows button. It doesn't seem to do anything anymore, but when inspecting the g15macro debugging info it seems to behave as G17. Will this patch work for me as well?
    Have you set up your keyboard as 'G15 keyboard using G15daemon' in your keyboard settings? It seems like a wrong keymap has been loaded or something.

Anyway, while this patch may help fix the problem of the left meta key, it will disable your G7 to G18 keys so this might not be what you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadEgg View Post
    Have you set up your keyboard as 'G15 keyboard using G15daemon' in your keyboard settings? It seems like a wrong keymap has been loaded or something.
    Yes I have, and it seems to be working fine, clock and multimedia keys work. After starting g15macro the left meta key stops working, even if I kill g15macro and then restart g15daemon.

Also, how can I run g15macro in the background? Making a script and starting it with update-rc doesn't work, adding it to rc.local doesn't work. Running it manually in a terminal works, but as soon as I close the terminal g15macro gets killed. I'd like to autostart it when I boot my computer so it's always available.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RatSAT View Post
    Yes I have, and it seems to be working fine, clock and multimedia keys work. After starting g15macro the left meta key stops working, even if I kill g15macro and then restart g15daemon.

Also, how can I run g15macro in the background? Making a script and starting it with update-rc doesn't work, adding it to rc.local doesn't work. Running it manually in a terminal works, but as soon as I close the terminal g15macro gets killed. I'd like to autostart it when I boot my computer so it's always available.
    What I have done is, to make different profiles for different users possible, running g15macro as user and not as root.

To achieve this I have created a script:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/g15macro --second &
    and placed that in ~/.kde/Autostart/ (made executable of course). I use the --second here because I've got the v2 keyboard, you won't be needing that one (unless it gets your meta key functioning properly and you are fine with sacrificing 12 G-keys)

This also shows how you can run g15macro in the background, simply by adding an ampersand to the end of the command line.

If you're running gnome, you can go to System->Preferences->Sessions and add the script you created to the list with the button on the side.

Beans

MadEgg, how do I install that patch you created? I'm also wondering how I create macros, once I have everything working. Thanks.

Beans

Basic instructions to get this to work:

Code:
    mkdir ~/tmp
    cd ~/tmp
    wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/g15daemon/g15macro-1.0.3.tar.bz2
    wget http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89419
    tar xjvf g15macro-1.0.3.tar.bz2
    bunzip2 g15macro-g15v2.patch.bz2
    cd g15-macro-1.0.3/
    patch -p1 < ../g15macro-g15v2.patch
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    This might not even work if you don't have the proper build tools installed, you need at least the build-essential package, and it depends on libg15daemon-client-dev and probably others to build.

Anyway, to make this all easier, I tried building an Ubuntu package with the patched binary in it. This is the first deb package I have ever build so I'm not sure if it will work for you, but you're free to try. I've attached the package to this post, so you can download that and install it by double clicking on it.

Please let me know whether it works or not if you try it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast