Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: ipw2200 + wpa

Beans

Re: HOWTO: ipw2200 + wpa

it worked more than fine for me. i'm using breezy, and it was a snap, save for my aforementioned dell wireless toggle button woes (which were in turn related with my wpa+tkip auth woes). what's wrong with it? it still applies, unless dapper changed something drastically.

edit: oh, hotplugging does not work for me, but i'm sure that could be easily fixed with a few changes (cut-n-paste style) in /etc/networking/interfaces. just copy what eth0 does.
    Last edited by dbunder; March 24th, 2006 at 06:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dbunder
    it worked more than fine for me. i'm using breezy, and it was a snap, save for my aforementioned dell wireless toggle button woes (which were in turn related with my wpa+tkip auth woes). what's wrong with it? it still applies, unless dapper changed something drastically.

edit: oh, hotplugging does not work for me, but i'm sure that could be easily fixed with a few changes (cut-n-paste style) in /etc/networking/interfaces. just copy what eth0 does.

The guide simply does not work from a fresh CD install, start to finish.
    Some backend application was changed and a heap of fiddling now has to be done.

ALSO I heard intel removed monitor mode from ipw2200 too, is that true?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottylans
    I would like to officially request a complete re-write of this HOW-TO

Luca has done a great job with it and if I recall took some of my advice back in the early pages to make it really easy for basic users.

Unfortunately he didn't take all my advice and while he's helpful with replies, the HOW-TO needs an update for the ipw2200 under 5.10!
    It needs to be simple, concise and from A->B
    It's likely only a thorough re-edit of the current one, but having to trawl through 60 pages of help is ridiculous!

Do NOT take this as me not appreciating the help but more me trying to save my time AND YOURS by having a new 5.10 guide.

I want to use ipw2200, kismet on 5.10 working fine without problems - this guide used to do that for 5.04 but the recent changes to Ubuntu have "broken it"

Anyone else agree?

(please?)

- Scott

P.S / EDIT

What I specifically would like to acheive with a new HOWTO is,..

User downloads 5.10 CD of Ubuntu
    User installs 5.10 Ubuntu on to machine, with ethernet cable hooked up.
    User uses the auto update / patches to bring machine up to date.
    User follows 15 / 20 / 30 (?) step guide to getting wireless / wpa working.

I know this sounds like I'm being a pushy bastard! I'm not! - Luca's old guide used to do this, till they changed Ubuntu - I don't know enough to know the terminology but hotplug system was changed I THINK (so a friend tells me?) - and the HOW-TO is now not detailed enough from A to B

Thanks again for reading and help.

As I said in the 5.10 thread. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...819#post878819)

Curious on any comments, please? -sorry to hassle but I really do find the how-to's un-necessarily complex since they made that udev thingo change to ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

following this guide a while ago got everything working perfectly. but last night the update manager upgraded my linux-headers and linux-image. suddenly, i have no more eth0. my wifi is simply not detected.

dmesg gives something about IEEE errors. but it still works with the 2.16-9 kernel, just not the newest 2.16-10 which did work before.

does anyone else have this problem? how did you get around it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nemik
    following this guide a while ago got everything working perfectly. but last night the update manager upgraded my linux-headers and linux-image. suddenly, i have no more eth0. my wifi is simply not detected.

dmesg gives something about IEEE errors. but it still works with the 2.16-9 kernel, just not the newest 2.16-10 which did work before.

does anyone else have this problem? how did you get around it?

Posts like these are why I'd like a fully updated howto

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hi everyone.

I've read through all 63 pages and tried every litt tip I could find but still my wireless network is not working properly.
    I am currently using Drapper drak flight 6 with:
    - ieee80211-1.1.13
    - ipw2200-1.1.2
    - ipw2200-fw-3.0

First of all it did not work "out-of-the-box" so I tried to compile everything like descibed in this thread. After a couple of tries I finally successed the compilation with no errors.
    The thing is, I can only connect to unsecured network. If I try to connect to a network secured with wep/wpa my network-montitor-applet suddenly shows eth1 as disconnected.

Is there a common solution to this problem? I mean, if I can connect to an unsecured network, I dont see why I cant connect to a secured one..?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by RoyCowboy; April 15th, 2006 at 12:24 AM.

Beans

Well, I haven't read everything, but it didn't work for me to.
    I found the solution there: http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hos...er/011787.html
    it was simply to use -Dwext rather using -Dipw in the "wpa_supplicant bla" command line
    Ive compiled the thing three times (including kernel) ] (*,)

hth

Beans

I have read all 63 posts and now i just about to crash my keyboard.
    The sh script wont delete these drivers automatically.
    I cant get rid of the "old" drivers. I get this error message:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old ieee80211 references found. In order to build the ieee80211
    subsystem, prior versions must first be removed. You can perform
    this task by running this makefile as root via:

% sudo make check_old

and answering Y to remove the file references.
    Aborting make.
    make: *** [check_old] Error 1[/CODE]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have deleted the folders (ieee22810 and ipw2200) in:
    /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-386/build/include/config/

How can i locate these missing files ? Any help would be appriciated...
    Last edited by vladimir-dk; April 22nd, 2006 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello all, im new on ubuntu Breezy, this guide i found says for Hoary, is it the same for breezy? I have dell 700m with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG integrated, is that what ipw2200 stand for? I am about to buy a new router and want to enable security, so I want to make sure I can get it to work before I go spend money on a 54g router, (still have stupid 'b' router, sloooow)
    I would appreciate very much your advice, thank you!

Nobody's Home

Beans

Can anyone help me with the question above...
    Thank in advance...

Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast