Page 25 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: ipw2200 + wpa

Beans

Re: HOWTO: ipw2200 + wpa

Are you using DHCP?

Beans

Finally I compiled and installed the 1.0.3 ieee80211 subsystem and ipw2200 1.0.6. A small problem I faced was maybe because of my Ubuntu iso. I am using the HP Ubuntu for ncx laptops.

On this installation to compile ieee80211subsystem I had to perform the following symbolic linking
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.10-5-386 /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386/build
    Note that link to "linux-source-2.6.10" will not work as some include files wants 386 specific file structures. Everything else was a breeze.

Now my nc6120 can connect to WEP, WPA (using wpa_supplicant) and TTLS-PAP (using xsupplicant) wireless networks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luca_linux
    Are you using DHCP?
    To be honest, I don't know - I just followed your tutorial.
    I can tell you under Windows I'm using DHCP - and the router is set to give an ip to the card (which works under windows)

Also DHCP works fine on the LAN / ethernet port on the laptop - but not the 2200.

Beans

Try to seach for ieee80211* files in /lib/modules/ and then delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by MadJeff
    I ended up doing that last night, just went in and renamed the ieee80211 directory and got everything installed. I'm now farther along, but it's still not working I'll work on it some more tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Luca:
    This is MadJeff's last post - I had the same problem - ieee had to be manually deleted.
    My problem is why? - I followed the tutorial /how-to by the book, why is this happening? any idea's?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottylans
    Luca:
    This is MadJeff's last post - I had the same problem - ieee had to be manually deleted.
    My problem is why? - I followed the tutorial /how-to by the book, why is this happening? any idea's?
    I too had to manually delete the ieee80211 directory. Since the remove-old uses regular expressions, simply renaming it to ieee80211-bak or something will not work. Either you have to rename it to something different like "whatanameforadir" or just delete it.

Not sure why though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by srijith
    I too had to manually delete the ieee80211 directory. Since the remove-old uses regular expressions, simply renaming it to ieee80211-bak or something will not work. Either you have to rename it to something different like "whatanameforadir" or just delete it.

Not sure why though
    same here with the ieee80211 directory - the script included to delete the old files failed every time
    not a big deal rm -rf worked fine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottylans
    To be honest, I don't know - I just followed your tutorial.
    I can tell you under Windows I'm using DHCP - and the router is set to give an ip to the card (which works under windows)

Also DHCP works fine on the LAN / ethernet port on the laptop - but not the 2200.
    My HowTo is not about network configuration, but about getting ipw2200+wpa to work.
    You have to configure the gateway, IP addresses, DNS, etc. Just set them up through the Network panel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    same here with the ieee80211 directory - the script included to delete the old files failed every time
    not a big deal rm -rf worked fine
    Yeah, that's true.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by srijith

Not sure why though

I'm not sure either!

I wish Luca would put this stuff in the howto.
    I REALLY DO appreciate it - don't get me wrong, but this is the second time I've had to mention things that we're simply not included in the how-to.

For example - the bit about installing gcc, linux-headers - that wasn't in the original FAQ - it was assumed

It's GREAT of him to do this for us - it is but when someone points out a flaw with the documentation it should be updated.

I want you (all) to know, not only am I a linux newbie but I'm following the how-to word for word on a FRESH installed copy of ubuntu from the 5.04 CD
    every time something goes wrong, I re-start from a fresh re-install.

Therefore I see every problem with the how-to - because I follow it word for word

I think there should be at least these 2 changes.

1, information on how to add the repositories in synaptic so the users know EXACTLY (and I quote) what this means
    "
    Since we have to compile the driver from sources, we need the packages: build-essential, gcc, linux-headers-myOwnKernelVersion.
    "

and how to actually do it.

2, information on the ieee "bug" thing - so the users know that the remove-old script does NOT work and needs to be manually fixed.

(thanks again luca - but plz update how-to very comprehensively - it will stop a lot of idiot posters (like me!) who ask questions)

Beans

My HowTo is not about network configuration, but about getting ipw2200+wpa to work.
    You have to configure the gateway, IP addresses, DNS, etc. Just set them up through the Network panel.

Thanks for the response.
    The network panel is greyed out after following your instructions?
    Is there any reason why?
    The LAN / ethernet section I can change but the wifi = no?
    Does the network panel actually recognise the wpa package and the newer drivers for the 2200?

Page 25 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast