Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: ipw2200 + wpa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: ipw2200 + wpa

Luca, you're a good man. No stress about taking a little time--it's not like you are being paid to do this. When you get time to do it that will be fine. Just know that we appreciate it!
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Ok, I've just updated the HowTo.
    I've removed the part concerning the modules moving, because it was not needed on my box.
    But I'm running a customized 2.6.12 kernel, so I don't know if it woks for Ubuntu default kernel too. Please, let me know if you get troubles.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by luca_linux
    Ok, I've just updated the HowTo.
    I've removed the part concerning the modules moving, because it was not needed on my box.
    But I'm running a customized 2.6.12 kernel, so I don't know if it woks for Ubuntu default kernel too. Please, let me know if you get troubles.
    It worked beautifully. The only catch was when I ran the remove-old script during the driver installation it also removed the new iee80211 subsystem. I just reinstalled the subsystem and didn't run the remove-old script again and all was well with the world.

Also, since I was just upgrading from 1.0.4 I already had wpa_supplicant installed and configured so I was done once the new driver was installed and I rebooted.

Thanks, again, Luca!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    It worked beautifully. The only catch was when I ran the remove-old script during the driver installation it also removed the new iee80211 subsystem. I just reinstalled the subsystem and didn't run the remove-old script again and all was well with the world.

Also, since I was just upgrading from 1.0.4 I already had wpa_supplicant installed and configured so I was done once the new driver was installed and I rebooted.

Thanks, again, Luca!!
    HowTo fixed.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Beans

For those newbies having trouble compiling the sources.
    I'm a newbie also and was having all the same error messages.
    I spent hours on it.
    Then I re-booted and went through all the steps again (except for downloading), cutting and pasting each command to make sure I got it right,and... it works!
    Don't ask me why, I was very very careful the first time, but now I'm sending this message over my WPA encrypted wireless connection!
    Thanks a bunch for your help Luca!
    -Mike

Beans

I currently dual boot Kubuntu with Windows XP. I was wondering if upgrading the firmware for the wireless card while running Kubuntu would have any affect on Windows XP. I was afraid to upgrade the firmware thinking that WPA would stop functioning or the wireless card in general would no longer work in Windows. Is it safe to upgrade firmware and still use wpa in windows xp?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zackman2002
    I currently dual boot Kubuntu with Windows XP. I was wondering if upgrading the firmware for the wireless card while running Kubuntu would have any affect on Windows XP. I was afraid to upgrade the firmware thinking that WPA would stop functioning or the wireless card in general would no longer work in Windows. Is it safe to upgrade firmware and still use wpa in windows xp?
    Not to worry. I dual boot with windows (95% Ubuntu, 5% Windows) and have upgraded the firmware while using Ubuntu and it had absolutely no effect on my ability to use wpa with windows.

Beans

No, this firmware has nothing to do with the one in the chip, the card won't be modified in any way. It's just a *software* layer that handles some control functions to the ipw2200 driver and that is loaded every time and only when you boot in Linux. Other operating systems won't be influenced in any way, because the card is not modified.
    So, don't worry!

Beans

I tried to install the wpa supplicant. This is the results:
    yyyy@xxx:~/software/ipw2200-1.0.6$ sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Couldn't find package wpasupplicant
    markus@mpk:~/software/ipw2200-1.0.6$ sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    Any suggestions?

Beans

Try "sudo apt-get update" before installing the package.

Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast