Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Splash Screens

HOWTO: Splash Screens

Being reletivly green when it comes to Linux i have spent ages trying to work out how to change the splash screen that is shown after you login to your system, but i have finally figured it out, and so to help everyone else wanting to do this here is how to do it:

First up you will need to find yourself a shiney new splash screen. Try Gnome-art for some new screens.

Once you have the screen of your choice it is time to place it somewhere on your system that it is not going to end up being moved/edited/renamed or anything else that could screw up the image being shown.
    The file can be placed anywhere, personally i placed mine here:

Code:
    /home/-my username-/.Splash
    So that it was in it's own location and hidden so it reduces the chances of me accidentally messing with it. Wherever you place it make sure you remember the path and file name as we will need this for the next step.

Now the file is sorted we need to run the Gnome Config. tool, just go:

Applications --> System Tools --> Configuration Editor

Now in the config editor select:

Code:
    /apps/gnome-session/options
    By using the folder tree on the left of the window.

Now you will see a few options on the right one of which should be splash_image. Highlight this entry and right click and select Edit Key.
    In the new pop-up under Value replace the existing text with the full path to your file. For me this is:

Code:
    /home/-my username-/.Splash/Urban-Splash.png
    Now all that you do is OK the change, exit the config editor, restart, Login and Roberts your farthers brother new splash screen.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Splash Screens

Thanks for the HOWTO. It was very useful in cutomizing my whole login experience. I have one problem though, how do I change the brown background to better match my splash screen?

Thanks,
    orbit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orbit
    Thanks for the HOWTO. It was very useful in cutomizing my whole login experience. I have one problem though, how do I change the brown background to better match my splash screen?

Thanks,
    orbit
    just figured that one out, you have to change the no wallpaper color in gnome-background settings...in the color you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aboe
    just figured that one out, you have to change the no wallpaper color in gnome-background settings...in the color you want.
    I've already done that, but when the splash screen is shown the background is still the default brown colour. After the splash disappears the background colour changes to my theme's background colour.

orbit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sorry thought that was the solution...
    somewhere there is that brown colour defined, and I can't find it anywhere in gconf

Beans
    Hidden!

I've already done that, but when the splash screen is shown the background is still the default brown colour. After the splash disappears the background colour changes to my theme's background colour.

orbit
    Go to your gdmsetup [login screen setup] and change the background color to your liking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Go to your gdmsetup [login screen setup] and change the background color to your liking.
    Thanks bored2k, that did the trick. Seems very illogical to put that option in the standard greeter tab because I use the graphical greeter.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks bored2k, that did the trick. Seems very illogical to put that option in the standard greeter tab because I use the graphical greeter.
    Indeed. I've always tried to put a wallpaper there instead of a color, but its never displayed :\.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Expanding on the idea, how do you change the default sound? I have a nice tribal/celtic song that's only a min long i would rather hear than the ubuntu default noise

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by N'Jal
    Expanding on the idea, how do you change the default sound? I have a nice tribal/celtic song that's only a min long i would rather hear than the ubuntu default noise
    Default sound of what ? start up [after login], the bump sound on the login screen, what ?

Go to system > preferences > sounds to change some of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast