Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 48 hours with ubuntu article

Beans

48 hours with ubuntu article

http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu

Very interesting. I makes you think, what a dumbass and makes you wanna slap the fool for being so stupid.

Then he cleans up his review with that he is an interface designer working for Mark Shuttleworth.

Clever indeed! Digress!

Beans

Re: 48 hours with ubuntu article

I know this guy is taking an "outside the box" look as a non technical person, while ill agree alot of things need to be more intuitive, alot of this is ridiculous

-#24 The login screen uses the term “reboot”. (My shoes are fine as they are, thanks.

Unfortunatly reboot is a word you should know if you use a computer, its in the dictionary for god sakes.

-#28 When returning after locking the screen, the interface for logging in again is completely different from that for logging in normally, for no apparent reason.

So you know youve locked the screen and not logged out?

-#30 The same interface shows the current time, for no apparent reason. (Perhaps it should show the current temperature too.)

To tell the time without having to unlock the computer? Perhaps the same reason most cars will allow you to enable the clock without starting the engine? Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

-#34. That alert has a button which misspells “Shut Down” as “Shutdown”.

Whats wrong with shutdown? it is in the english dictionary and it fits the context of the situation. That is not a misspelling! Come on!

-#36 Items can’t be renamed by clicking on their names and typing.

In any interface ive used, you really can only assign one reaction to a click. In ubuntus case it is to open the file, not rename it. You could assign the click to rename it , but then it wouldnt open. Maybe if the mouse could read our minds it would know the proper action. That technology is at least 5 years out

ugghh ill go on as i re-read this.....he has some good points, and alot of bad points.

Beans

#10 … A foot icon? What’s that about, anyway? Ubuntu’s logo isn’t a foot.

Thats called a 3rd party app my friend. If you open your IBM computer your hardrive will probably have a Seagate or Hitchachi logo on it.

ugghh

Beans

20: A lot of technical gibberish is displayed when the computer starts up, and when it shuts down.

All computers have technical gibberish when you start them up, even ones without operating systems.

Beans

23. The login screen uses the term “username”.

Again, whats wrong? This is a dictionary word.

1 entry found for username.
    us·er·name Audio pronunciation of "username" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yzr-nm)
    n.

A sequence of characters, different from a password, that is used as identification and is required when logging on to a multiuser computer system, LAN, bulletin board system, or online service. Also called user ID.

Beans

I was reading the article thinking "what an anal turd (that is mostly right)" but then he reveals his purpose in life and this put all of his complaints into perspective .

Although, some of his ideas are a little questionable, its great to have someone like this working on the interface. This guy has very good ideas for making the interface much more consistent and user friendly and I for one am very impressed....

I hope he has a very significant effect on Ubuntu.

BTW - Does anyone know how Canonical and this guy hooked up? Is he just another voluntary developer or is he a pro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Yes, I've read that. He makes some very good points as well.

Beans

#10 … A foot icon? What’s that about, anyway? Ubuntu’s logo isn’t a foot.
    Thats called a 3rd party app my friend. If you open your IBM computer your hardrive will probably have a Seagate or Hitchachi logo on it.
    A new user doesn't care that it's a 3rd party app, they probably associate the desktop as something that represents Ubuntu - this particularly effect windows switchers used to the window flag on the start button. A new user doesn't see his hard drive, so that point is moot.

#20: A lot of technical gibberish is displayed when the computer starts up, and when it shuts down.
    All computers have technical gibberish when you start them up, even ones without operating systems.
    Mine doesn't....It shows a "splash" screen from switching on until GRUB starts

23. The login screen uses the term “username"
    Again, whats wrong? This is a dictionary word.
    -#24 The login screen uses the term “reboot”. (My shoes are fine as they are, thanks.
    Unfortunatly reboot is a word you should know if you use a computer, its in the dictionary for god sakes.
    -#34. That alert has a button which misspells “Shut Down” as “Shutdown”.
    Whats wrong with shutdown? it is in the english dictionary and it fits the context of the situation. That is not a misspelling! Come on!
    Just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean that people know it. You shouldn't expect people to learn unneccesary jargon when using a computer. "Restart" makes far more sense than "reboot" does, and people will usually realise what it means straight away, rather than having to go and find a dictionary.

-#28 When returning after locking the screen, the interface for logging in again is completely different from that for logging in normally, for no apparent reason.
    So you know youve locked the screen and not logged out?
    Hmm, I agree with you that the interface should differentiate between the two, I'd favour using the login screen but with a monitor with a padlock or some text explaining..

-#30 The same interface shows the current time, for no apparent reason. (Perhaps it should show the current temperature too.)
    To tell the time without having to unlock the computer? Perhaps the same reason most cars will allow you to enable the clock without starting the engine? Seems like a pretty good reason to me.
    I think I agree with you on that. Stereos and VCR/DVD player also do that in "standby" mode, which is perhaps roughly equivalent to being logged/locked out

-#36 Items can’t be renamed by clicking on their names and typing.
    In any interface ive used, you really can only assign one reaction to a click. In ubuntus case it is to open the file, not rename it. You could assign the click to rename it , but then it wouldnt open. Maybe if the mouse could read our minds it would know the proper action. That technology is at least 5 years out
    I think he means clicking on the icon should do the action associated with the icon, but clicking on the text adjacent to the icon should edit the text. Probably means you'll have to have huge icons though to get the user to easily click in such a small area. I'm unsure on this one..

Beans

His item 20 has a point , many distros are hiding the gibberish eg Fedora, Mandrake.
    I think it would be a good feature for Ubuntu, where a click will allow the user to see a verbose version should they so desire to see gibberish.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the link... I agree, it's rubbish. I hope very few of these ideas are implemented in Ubuntu.

I find objectionable his misuse of the word "incorrect" to mean, apparently, "done in a way I don't like". I see nothing obviously superior about his preferences, in most cases, and many of them are nitpicking on an absurd level. If there's any basis besides his personal preference, then he needs to cite it.

Overall, the whole thing is written from an extremely theoretical "usability" perspective that doesn't relate to any real computer that has ever existed. And in particular, despite a few passing references to Mac and Windows, the article has essentially no value for anyone wishing to compare Ubuntu with other OSes. What the target audience is, I can't really imagine. (Ubuntu developers? I don't picture them finding it any more persuasive than I did.)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast