Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: iPod Shuffle (Kubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

HOWTO: iPod Shuffle (Kubuntu)

This is specific to Kubuntu, because Kynaptic's deficiencies and the use of gtkpod make things a little harder on KDE users. GNOME/Ubuntu users, you can follow the Wiki iPodHowto and it should work with the Shuffle.

1. You have to intialize/format your iPod Shuffle in Windows/Mac with iTunes. Enable the mass storage device option. Follow Apple's instructions for this procedure.

2. Plug your iPod Shuffle into your Kubuntu machine.

3. To add songs, you need to install gtkpod from Universe. Let's enable Universe.

In an open Konsole type:
    Code:
    sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list
    Uncomment (remove the "#") the following lines:
    Code:
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe
    deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe
    Press CTRL-X and then "Y" to accept changes.

4. Install gtkpod and any dependencies.

Open Kynaptic from the System Menu. Browse to the "Multimedia (Universe)" Section, and scroll down to gtkpod. Right click and choose "Install." Accept any changes. Go to File-->Commit Marked Changes and let Kynaptic do its thing.

5. If you haven't already, mount your iPod Shuffle by right clicking the USB Stick icon on the desktop and choose "Mount".

6. Configure gtkpod.

Open gtkpod from the Multimedia Menu. Go to Edit-->Edit Preferences. Change the following options.

Input/Output
    iPod Mount Point: /media/volume_name*
    Automatically import iTunesDB on startup: Yes

Tools
    Command line for "Play Now": amarok %s
    Command line for "Enqueue": amarok -e %s

Click Apply and then OK.
    *To determine shuffle's volume name from terminal do
    Code:
    ls /media
    7. Now you can add songs to your iPod Shuffle, or play songs directly from your iPod Shuffle.
    Last edited by philipacamaniac; April 13th, 2005 at 07:37 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: iPod Shuffle (Kubuntu)

One thing to add is that your mount point might not be the same as in this howto. When you plug in your shuffle, look at its properties to see where its mounted and tell GTKpod to mount from there.

Great howto otherwise...
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Suggestion change this:
    iPod Mount Point: /media/sdb1

to this:
    iPod Mount Point: /media/volume_name
    To determine shuffle's volume name from terminal do
    ls /media

For instance mine is /media/MRBASS 1G
    once I did that it recognized it. Music Player (Rymthbox) on ubuntu recognizes it automatically without having to set a mount point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks mrbass and poofyhairguy, I knew that Shuffles would probably mount to different locations, I just wasn't sure. I wonder if there is a some standard for media devices. If not, then there should be.

Beans

gtkpod doesn't work for me

It seems happy, but after I have synced and then safely disconnected (i.e. unmounted) the shuffle, I get the flashing orange/green error lights.

Any ideas?

Beans

It seems happy, but after I have synced and then safely disconnected (i.e. unmounted) the shuffle, I get the flashing orange/green error lights.
    Yeah, I used to get this problem using gtkpod under gnome. Only way I could find to fix it was download the GNUPod suite from here and run the mktunes.pl program after synching in gtkpod, but before unmounting the shuffle.

Hope this helps

EDIT: after a little more research, it turns out that the gnupod tools are in the universe repo, so you dont have to download them from the site above.
    Last edited by GNUmonkey; May 4th, 2005 at 11:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reuben
    gtkpod doesn't work for me

Any ideas?
    This is beacuse only GtkPod version 0.88.2 supports Shuffle. Ubuntu arrives with package 0.88.1. Tested.

Beans

I guessed as much. Any idea as to ETA of 0.88.2 in the universe repositories?

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: iPod Shuffle (Kubuntu)

NO NEED FOR WINDOWS

This is a very useful how to. However, I was actually able to get my Ipod shuffle to work using Linux only to get it going, without the need to initialize it or format it on a Windows pc. I simply used gtkpod, opened the file menu and selected "create ipod directories" and everything worked. I don't have Windows or access to any Windows pc and didn't need it.

I do have hfs file system packages installed on my Ubuntu Hoary, but I'm not sure if I even needed them to get the Ipod working. When first tried to get it going, I couldn't play anything but just got an orange blinking light error, until I read here that I need a newer version of gtkpod. I installed it from the debian unstable repository and the problem was solved. http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...te=1&p=129232#

Beans

Cool; I can confirm this works well.

For newbies who may be having the same problem:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add this line to the end:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

Save, fire up synaptic; reload; find gtkpod, and upgrade it to 0.93

Some other stuff (notably libc) will be upgraded too; this is par for the course. It doesn't appear to break anything - YMMV.

Comment out the line in sources.list (put a # in front of it) once you're done upgrading gtkpod; you don't want to be using that repository as a matter of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast