Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: WPA with wpa_supplicant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HowTo: WPA with wpa_supplicant

luca & magneto...

Having learned from one of your previous posts that the RSN in the WPA RSN line for "proto" meant WPA2, I re-did my WPA_supplicant.conf to use WPA2 and reconfigured my router as well. Although it has not worked on WPA, it does seem to be working on WPA2. Perhaps this could help someone else if they had the same problem.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI, AMD X2 4200+ (200x11=2.2GHz)
    Corsair XMS 2048 2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.6V, eVGA 7800GT , WD 74GB Raptor,WD 250GB Sata2
    Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu 6.06
    Dell C840 Lappy Ubuntu 6.06 w/WPA wifi, Dell P3 500 Ubuntu 6.06 w/SCSI scanner,samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

matthewboh or anyone who can help -> I have a bcm4311 wireless card using it with ndiswrapper. I am trying to set up wpa_supplicant per the how-to but I get the following when running it with -dd option:
    Code:
    Driver doesn't support WPA
    I get this when using option -Dndiswrapper of wpa_supplicant. If I use -Dwext I don't get that message but I can't connect to my network. I know there is some info you might need but I am not sure what else to post here. Oh yes, I am using AMD64 Dapper. And I got a connection before when using WEP, but I want the stronger WPA security.
    Last edited by bobbyone; October 16th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bobbyone - I found out the drivers that come with Ubuntu don't support the stronger WPA security. I ended up using the Windows drivers that came with the card. I ended up using this HOWTO in order to set up my card - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136

Beans

I can connect to the internet with this method. However, for some reason the router detects it as a direct connection, not wireless. The router reports that it has given 192.168.2.3 as ip, but Ubuntu says 192.168.2.103. I can't access the local network, it doesn't find the computers it should find. And when I try to access the router on 192.168.2.1 it wants a login and password which I normally don't give in that manner (it should show the router login page).

Any ideas on how this weirdness is happening? Ofcourse, everything works as it should on Windows. I've tried this on Arch Linux also and it's the same. I may try a wep key with mac filtering later but only to test it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Haiyadragon View Post
    I can connect to the internet with this method. However, for some reason the router detects it as a direct connection, not wireless. The router reports that it has given 192.168.2.3 as ip, but Ubuntu says 192.168.2.103. I can't access the local network, it doesn't find the computers it should find. And when I try to access the router on 192.168.2.1 it wants a login and password which I normally don't give in that manner (it should show the router login page).

Any ideas on how this weirdness is happening? Ofcourse, everything works as it should on Windows. I've tried this on Arch Linux also and it's the same. I may try a wep key with mac filtering later but only to test it.
    I guess you are using DHCP, so just try using a Static IP.

Beans

I followed these steps and now my wireless card does not show up at all anywhere. I am using kubuntu, and my wireless card is an intel 3945ABG. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can at least get it to show up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Nice How-to luca_linux.

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

WPA with wpa_supplicant

bodhi.zazen
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by luca_linux View Post

1) Open a terminal window and type:
    Code:
    wpa_passphrase your_ssid your_psk
    Note: your_ssid is the name of your wireless network (a.k.a. SSID) and your_psk is the password you want to use to protect your network. (Look below for an example).
    Hello,

I do not understand what is meant with 'your_psk'.

Is this something I choose locally on my computer in Ubuntu or is this supposed to be stored on the router?

My netgear router is set to use wpa-psk but i only have a passphrase, no psk.

And another question, is wpa_supplicant already installed in Dapper? Or do I have to download it manually?

Beans
    Hidden!

pf...
    as for me; i'd stick to WEP for a few more years8) until out of the box bla bla
    No need to configure - concerning my state of health i prefer no configure to some neighbour-nerds trying to access me web

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

kewla.

this worked for me. i thought it was screwed, then checked my _passphrase output AND IT WAS WRONG. so, all changed and working perfectly ta.

thanks for the great work =P

edit: actually, now i want to know how to script it so that i can run from my desktop or panel. i dont want it running at boot as im scared that it will be broadcasting my ssid and psk from boot, so i want to choose. Can i just chmod +x it?

PartisanEntity - follow the walkthru earlier in this post or browse the many links from here - you will find a solution, or closure.
    Last edited by thele0pard; November 14th, 2006 at 01:43 AM.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast