Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu becoming -too- mainstream?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Ubuntu becoming -too- mainstream?

HAARP,
    If you want my opinion of you then here it is:
    You are uncomfortable with yourself and care way too much about what other people think. You especially care about something completely inconsequential such as a choice of an OS. I run both Windows and Ubuntu and could care less what anyone thinks. On top of it you seem to be a bit of an elitist and should really think about why you feel how you feel. That is just an opinion of course.

As far as Ubuntu being mainstream. Well Linux is kind of like the woman in the song "Bitch". It is all things in one. It can run on supercomputers and cellphones, it can be as easy to use as MEPIS (doesn't even need installing codecs), or as involved as LFS. If you think Ubuntu is boring and doesn't arouse your interest enough you can find a distro that will you better.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I see. Obviously, some people don't quite understand my intentions. I try not to be mainstream, that's basicly true. But not because I wanna be cool or something. Not because I care what anyone thinks. Maybe I'm a bit of an elitist, yeah. Maybe just want to try something else. I don't know what I really want, since I wouldn't like a small userbase (50 people or something) but on the other hand I don't want to be involved in something as big as Ubuntu. I dunno, maybe I don't like mainstream stuff for reasons I don't know myself, who knows. But that doesn't matter here and now.
    Probably shouldn't haved ranted that much in the starting post..I care for opinions about the matter with Ubuntu, not my own stuff. What I -don't- care about is what anyone thinks of me because I use distro XY.
    btw. sorry for that terrible English. I must sound like a 10 year old, but English wasn't my native language

Quote Originally Posted by æþeling View Post
    Yeah, Ubuntu is too mainstream, now I can't feel l33t and superior to windows people anymore...time to move to a more obscure distro.

NOT
    Ever heard of Security through obscurity? It's true in this case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by HAARP View Post
    I see. Obviously, some people don't quite understand my intentions. I try not to be mainstream, that's basicly true. But not because I wanna be cool or something. Not because I care what anyone thinks. Maybe I'm a bit of an elitist, yeah. Maybe just want to try something else. I don't know what I really want, since I wouldn't like a small userbase (50 people or something) but on the other hand I don't want to be involved in something as big as Ubuntu. I dunno, maybe I don't like mainstream stuff for reasons I don't know myself, who knows. But that doesn't matter here and now.
    Probably shouldn't haved ranted that much in the starting post..I care for opinions about the matter with Ubuntu, not my own stuff. What I -don't- care about is what anyone thinks of me because I use distro XY.
    btw. sorry for that terrible English. I must sound like a 10 year old, but English wasn't my native language

I urge you to move to GNU/HURD. It's so obscurely secure it's not funny.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Linux is secure (all distros in general) , is free , is cool , is fun , and it makes you productive, ubuntu can be as obscure or simple as you wish, leaving ubuntu because is a mainstream well it doesnt seem to be a good reason , anyway it is your thing , free as in freedom ,isnt it ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use Blag. I promise you that will never be considered mainstream...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by croak77 View Post
    I don't get your fascination with 'mainstream' Isn't the internet mainstream? Shouldn't you be using carrier pigeons or something?
    Hee hee hee. Funny.

This is so timely. Earlier today I was reading this article on slate.com where the author takes this completely elitist stance that the marathon (the sport) has been destroyed by slow newbie wannabees who think completing the race is a feat in and of itself. Sad thing is that the author thinks he is being cool, but in reality is coming off like a complete tool.
    Now I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with asking the question whether Ubuntu has gone too mainstream too quickly. I'm sure there are good and logical arguments on both sides. But, it is important that we as a community don't come across as being elitist tools who only want to be a part of this becasue it is different.
    My personal opinion, go with what you like. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Don't give up running marathons just because Oprah Winfrey and Puff Daddy did it, be your own person. At the same time, its perfectly ok to be a part of a community. As long as you believe that community has the right set of values and acts accordingly. If you are afraid that the values of the community are being diluted because it is growing too quickly, then do your best to remind people of what those values are (see Ubuntu Code of Conduct). If one day you wake up and you find that the community has changed in way you really don't like, and don't consider yourself to share something in common, then its time to look elsewhere. See Scott James Remnant's blog post on why he left Debian for an example.

If anyone is interested, here is my editorial, "Elitist Haters Suck - Why Ubuntu Rocks!".

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by HAARP View Post

There is a problem with your reasoning there. Linux is already targeted by a large number of crackers. It runs on 25% of world's servers and is not even close to being obscure. As far as Linux is concerned for the most part what works in one distro will work in another. The base is comon enough for that. Also you might want to take a look at OS X, while the market share is not that big it is very well known and is also targeted by crackers yet is still pretty safe from malware.

There is no such thing as 100% security in anything Windows or Linux alike it is possible to penetrate any system and create a program that will exploit a vulnerability. There are viruses for even cellphones and those tend to run highly specialized embedded OS's.

If you don't want to use mainstream stuff that's fine. If you don't want Windows but want to be able to do evertything you do in Windows in a different OS it HAS TO BE mainstream otherwise you will end up without any 3rd party support. Look at Flash on Linux for reference.

As far as your personal journey in the OS world I would suggest trying either free or open BSD. They are both great OS's that will require a bit more work than Ubuntu and are fairly obscure as far as userbase goes.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

Ubuntu is too mainstream, Ubuntu can't stand-up to Red Hat, Ubuntu is faster than Kubuntu, Ubuntu is a serious rival for OSX and upcoming Windows Vista, Ubuntu prevents you from deleting your Windows partition, Ubuntu out of the box sucks wet farts out of dead pigeons when it comes to multimedia, Ubuntu is going to slowly fade out, ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Really this thread is pointless. Im not tryin to be a **** but you dont want to use Ubuntu simply because in the linux world its popular? Christ. Go ahead. Try another distro. In the end its all linux. Its just branded. Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE whatever.

I see this attitude in music ALL THE TIME. Kids that dont wanna be seen as "trendy" when a band they like gets popular. So they shun them. Give me a break. Thats when bands/distros/whatever need you the most.

Im done reading the Cafe for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
    Ubuntu is too mainstream, Ubuntu can't stand-up to Red Hat, Ubuntu is faster than Kubuntu, Ubuntu is a serious rival for OSX and upcoming Windows Vista, Ubuntu prevents you from deleting your Windows partition, Ubuntu out of the box sucks wet farts out of dead pigeons when it comes to multimedia, Ubuntu is going to slowly fade out, ...
    List of current threads? I liked the bold one.
    Last edited by MetalMusicAddict; September 23rd, 2006 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It's the same with the iPod... "meh, don't buy one because everybody has it"

I don't care whether it's mainstream or not, I use the things that suite me best. And if this thing suites the majority of other people as well, then so be it. *shrugs*

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast