Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Compiler

Beans

Problem with Compiler

I did a search and couldn't find any other threads related to this; i've been getting an error while trying to compile a source file. It reads: cc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory . Can someone tell me what this means, and how I can get it to work?
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Problem with Compiler

Are you trying to compile a c++ file? If so then have you installed the g++ extensions to gcc? This could be your problem...

According to the gcc manpage, `cc1plus' is a program used to perform an additional pre-processing step after normal pre-processing but before compiling. It is specified using the -B flag after using the -no-integrated-cpp flag. Apparently, you normally don't have to worry about this and just let cpp do the work for you.

This type of problem can sometimes be fixed by installing the g++ package. By default it wasn't installed with my system, so maybe the problem is that you don't have g++.

Beans

If one of the above posts doesn't solve your problem, it will help if you post the command line which you are using to compile the file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toojays
    If one of the above posts doesn't solve your problem, it will help if you post the command line which you are using to compile the file.
    Oh, sorry: cc prog1.cpp

Beans

Does it work if you do "c++ prog1.cpp"?

Beans

Does it work if you do "c++ prog1.cpp"?
    Nope, the same problem occurs.

Beans

In that case, maybe something did go wrong during your installation.

If you can, try reinstalling the g++-3.3 package. The cc1plus program belongs to that package.

If that doesn't help, post the output of "c++ -v prog1.cpp".

Beans

In that case, maybe something did go wrong during your installation.

If you can, try reinstalling the g++-3.3 package. The cc1plus program belongs to that package.

If that doesn't help, post the output of "c++ -v prog1.cpp".
    I couldn't get it to re-install the package, this is what I got from c++ -v prog1.cpp:

c++ -v prog1.cpp
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/specs
    Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug --enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gc i486-linux
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/cc1plus -quiet -v -D__GNUC__=3 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=3 -D__GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=5 -D_GNU_SOURCE prog1.cpp -D__GNUG__=3 -quiet -dumpbase prog1.cpp -auxbase prog1 -version -o /tmp/ccZ4jMxC.s
    GNU C++ version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2) (i486-linux)
    compiled by GNU C version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2).
    GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=44 --param ggc-min-heapsize=28053
    ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/i486-linux/include"
    #include "..." search starts here:
    #include <...> search starts here:
    /usr/include/c++/3.3
    /usr/include/c++/3.3/i486-linux
    /usr/include/c++/3.3/backward
    /usr/local/include
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/include
    /usr/include
    End of search list.
    In file included from /usr/include/c++/3.3/backward/iostream.h:31,
    from prog1.cpp:3:
    /usr/include/c++/3.3/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
    prog1.cpp:6: error: `main' must return `int'

Beans

Okay, this is certainly a different problem to the one you described at the beginning of this thread.

The problem now is that the code you are compiling does not comply to the current C++ standard.

If you really need this code to compile, you can start with the following simple things:

1) Get rid of "prog1.cpp:6: error: `main' must return `int'". This usually is because your main function is declared like:
    Code:
    void main(){
    }
    Change the beginning and end to be like:
    Code:
    int main(){
        return 0;
    }
    2) Get rid of the warning about deprecated includes. At line 3 of your program, you have:
    Code:
    #include <iostream.h>
    This should probably be:
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;
    What is this code? If you are teaching yourself C++ from a book, I'm afraid your book is out of date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast