Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Whats the main different between slackware and Ubuntu? Apt-get? kde? gnome?
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

There are significant differences. KDE/Gnome are window managers and can theoretically be run on any distro.

Start here:

Slackware
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For one thing, the ubuntu desktop comes with X and GNOME installed. I believe when you install slackware you just get a terminal. Slackware's package handling is via tar balls, whereas ubuntu uses debs via the Synaptic Package Manager. Ubuntu will resolve dependencies for you, whereas slackware will not, so you are required to deal with the dependency resolution yourself (there may be a piece of software to add dependencies, but I don't know for definite, can someone confirm or deny this?)

Anyways, ubuntu is far more user friendly than pretty much ALL other linux distributions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is easy, Slackware is hard.
    Ubuntu is automatic, Slackware is manual.
    Ubuntu is up-to-date, Slackware is stable.
    Ubuntu is graphically-oriented, Slackware is text-oriented.

Short answer: Ubuntu Just Works, Slackware makes you work.
    Are you Listening?
    Are you a Hero?
    Are you Sleeping?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like the light-weight SLAXs which you can "slax copy2ram" thus freeing CD-ROM.
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry, but some of the above is just not true, particularly "benfindlay".

Slackware comes with a number of window managers, KDE is most popular. By default Slackware boots to a CLI (not a gui). Log in and type "startx".

Slackware is not necessarily any harder then Ubuntu. Slackwre is different and you should not confuse familiarity with difficulty.

If you try Zenwalk (see below) you will be up an running very fast, no problem.

Package management is via slapt-get, a command line tool very simmilar to apt-get. You can download packages from many sources. Gslapt is a GUI front end for slapt-get. How is that harder then Ubuntu? It is not, just different.

At any rate, if you wnat a feel of Slackware I suggest you try Zenwalk. It is light, fast, and easy. It will out perform (faster) then Ubuntu. By default it uses XFCE, but you can easily install KDE or gnome. Or Fluxbox for that matter.

Zenwalk

Zenwalk also has a Live CD which is very nice.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; September 19th, 2006 at 03:59 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I was referring to the normal install of each, which I thought was CLI for slackware. Didn't mean to imply that you can't use a GUI with it. Meant to say that ubuntu boots the GUI by default.

Difficulty is all relative. I'd say that how quickly you become "familiar" with something is a good measure of how easy, or user friendly it is, and from talking to people who have used both slackware and debian based systems, they've pretty much all agreed that debian is much more intuitive, user friendly and easy. Each to their own however.

I've read about Slapt-get and according to wikipedia:
    slapt-get does not provide dependency resolution for packages included within the Slackware distribution
    Perhaps in terms of difficulty it is no harder, but its definitely harder work!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by benfindlay View Post
    Perhaps in terms of difficulty it is no harder, but its definitely harder work!
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. Take a look at Zenwalk.

(FYI Zenwalk = Slackware light, it is a "fork" of Slackware).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So does zenwalk actually resolve dependencies for you? If so then that would be so much more convenient and definitely worth a look at! I should also imagine it would also be ideal for lower spec machines, if you ran fluxbox, xfce or ice-wm as your GUI.

Cheers for the reply

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by benfindlay View Post
    So does zenwalk actually resolve dependencies for you? If so then that would be so much more convenient and definitely worth a look at! I should also imagine it would also be ideal for lower spec machines, if you ran fluxbox, xfce or ice-wm as your GUI.

Cheers for the reply
    Yes, it resoles dependencies. Yes it is easy. Yes it is fast.

Zenwalk uses Netpkg, a GUI, for package management. It resolves dependencies.

Netpkg

Try the Live CD.

If you have any problems, I would be happy to help.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast