Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Slackware is the old man on the hill when you think linux, he is odd, he is strange and very... eccentric.
    I always thought slack was a good distro, but I am definitely not ready for it!
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Maarek Stele View Post
    I find that Slackware is for a true Linux user that will customize their software to fit their needs and write most of the configurations on their own. I have "tried" it but always had trouble trying to get an ATI RADEON card to work in Slackware in X windows.
    Getting ATI Cards to work in Slackware is quite easy, just download the ATI Driver from the ATI website and for simplicity sake save it as installer.run.

Then do enter the following:

Code:
    su
    - Login as root.

Code:
    sh installer.run --buildpkg Slackware/All
    Install the two packages that were generated using installpkg and then enter this command to configure X:

Code:
    aticonfig --initial -f
    Add this to xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection
    You can then restart X or reboot.
    Last edited by Vince4Amy; January 6th, 2009 at 11:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Slackware, although 'stable' is a bit too outdated for me, and the fact that it is maintained by (primarily) only Patric Volkerding (or whatver he's called) means that when he stops, it may well die (similar to Gentoo's projected decline)...
    HP DV6-3085EA, AMD Phenom P920

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!V!NT View Post
    Slackware, although 'stable' is a bit too outdated for me, and the fact that it is maintained by (primarily) only Patric Volkerding (or whatver he's called) means that when he stops, it may well die (similar to Gentoo's projected decline)...
    I wouldn't call it outdated (The software packages). None of the packages I use on there are extremely old and some software is updated quicker than Ubuntu for example Thunderbird 2.0.0.19. Also no other distro has given me this much customisability with so much ease. It's also quite difficult to completely mess Slack, most mistakes can be reversed.

Also if Pat ever decided to give up I'm sure there will be someone else willing to take the project up.
    Last edited by Vince4Amy; January 7th, 2009 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!V!NT View Post
    Gentoo hasn't had a benevolent dictator since 2004 I believe yet it still around and healthy (despite projected disappearance of the Gentoo Foundation about a two years ago).I think the same will happen with Slackware in that it will be around after Pat ever steps down whener that happens. Otherwise Slackware is hardly dated at all, it uses KDE3 for stability reasons (which I totally agree with) yet also offers packages to install KDE4. Slackware itself isn't built from the bleeding edge but is supposed to provide a solid stable distro. Outside of the very small slackware vanilla repo places like slackbuilds.org provide very up to date slackbuilds for installing additional software. It's not like installing Debian with it's year(s) old software all in the name of stability which is fine if that's what you require.
    Last edited by C!oud; January 9th, 2009 at 03:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Gentoo hasn't had a benevolent dictator since 2004 I believe yet it still around and healthy (despite projected disappearance of the Gentoo Foundation about a two years ago).I think the same will happen with Slackware in that it will be around after Pat ever steps down whener that happens. Otherwise Slackware is hardly dated at all, it uses KDE3 for stability reasons (which I totally agree with) yet also offers packages to install KDE4. Slackware itself isn't built from the bleeding edge but is supposed to provide a solid stable distro. Outside of the very small slackware vanilla repo places like slackbuilds.org provide very up to date slackbuilds for installing additional software. It's not like installing Debian with it's year(s) old software all in the name of stability which is fine if that's what you require.
    All the people I have known that were Gentoo developers and users have since left.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    All the people I have known that were Gentoo developers and users have since left.
    While I agree that there has been a lot of in fighting over the years between developers and sometimes there seems to be no clear direction, however with weekly stage3 tarballs rolling out and an active forum and IRC I'd say Gentoo is far from dead.

Beans

what is the fundamental difference of Slackware kernals than that of Ubuntu/Debian ?
    What about the files hierarchy in Slackware in comparison to Ubuntu/Debian ?
    I can understand that all the control a user enjoy in Slackware is also possible in Ubuntu because Ubuntu is basically made of Linux kernals like Slackare.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by octavianus View Post
    what is the fundamental difference of Slackware kernals than that of Ubuntu/Debian ?
    What about the files hierarchy in Slackware in comparison to Ubuntu/Debian ?
    I can understand that all the control a user enjoy in Slackware is also possible in Ubuntu because Ubuntu is basically made of Linux kernals like Slackare.
    Slackware is one of the only Linux distros to still use the vanilla Linux Kernel and while the same level of control can probably be done in Ubuntu it's much harder since it's covered up. Slackware you are expected to do all your configuration through editing text files so there's no default GUI tools avaliable to help you because it's designed to be as simple as possible. Thus you almost can't compare the amount of control because they have two different purposes, Slackware aims to adhere to the KISS philosophy while Ubuntu attempts to ease the transition of newcomers to linux by attempting to provide a user friendly distro.

Beans

Post Re: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Well one difference in {U,K,X}buntu and Slackware is the boot up and it's configuration. Ubuntu (and it's derivatives) as well as many other *nix distros use SysV style boot configs, while Slack uses BSD style by default (I say default because the beauty of Slackware is it doesn't make you conform to anything... at all!). While this is not really a major thing, it really confused me when I first started using Slackware since I was used to SysV style.

I need to say I think Ubuntu is great; it's what helped me enter the linux/gnu world as my main OS and I still use it on 2 of my machines, but I feel I've out grown it fast. I think that the comparison between the Ubuntu and Slackware is almost apples to oranges. Slackware has a niche audience, it's for people who want to "play", explore, and configure to their hearts content, that's not to say it isn't usable as a primary desktop though. If you like to be in control of everything your machine does, want to and are willing learn how linux/gnu OS's work, or find yourself with a constant desire to "tweak something" (and I do) then Slack is for you. If you want to have a system that "just works" and you don't care how it works or you don't care what apps open your files as long as they open, then I'd say stick with Ubuntu. It's a personal choice that you have to make for yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast