Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Thx to you all seems that i started a nice "topic" all people wants to say something which i like becouse then im getting updated im a total noob but im willing to learn but my last question is .. if a newbie like me should start with slackware would it be to hard to me or should i stay in ubuntu untill ive got all my cards even ..?
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by haxer View Post
    Thx to you all seems that i started a nice "topic" all people wants to say something which i like becouse then im getting updated im a total noob but im willing to learn but my last question is .. if a newbie like me should start with slackware would it be to hard to me or should i stay in ubuntu untill ive got all my cards even ..?
    I advise you explore various distros, see what your options are. But not excessively. In that I mean learn the CLI. The CLI is distro independent and this is the difference between newbie's and learning Linux. Is there such a thing as mastering Linux?

Slackware/Arch/Fedora/SUSE all will teach you something. All have strenghts and weaknesses.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Whats the most user friendly of those? Looking at slackware i think its nice but is it at easy as ubuntu i already tried out suse 9.01 and that sucked really hard ... Slackware sounds intresting is there any good forums for it?
    Last edited by haxer; September 19th, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried Back:Track ? www.remote-exploit.org is where you can get it. It is based on slackware, but it primarily made for network security testing and the such

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Zenwalk is very slick unfortunately I couldn't get my ATI card acceleration to work on it.

Apart from the ATI issue I found Zenwalk simple to install and easy to install programs from the repositories.

If you have Ubuntu installed then if you have a partition set aside you can install Zenwalk to it - skip the installing Lilo part and simply add a line to your /boot/grub/menu.lst something like;

PHP Code:
    # This entry added by me as an example
    # installation on /dev/hdb4
    title        Zenwalk 2.01hdb4
    root        
    (hd1,3)
    kernel        /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb4 ro
    savedefault
    boot 

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Whats the most user friendly of those? Looking at slackware i think its nice but is it at easy as ubuntu i already tried out suse 9.01 and that sucked really hard ... Slackware sounds intresting is there any good forums for it?
    User friendly distro's: Zenwalk, PCLinxuOS, SUSE 10 is an improvement, Fedora core 5 (see fedora frog), and Puppy Linux.

Did I mention Zenwalk? That is where I would start if you are interested in Slackware.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hmm.. what about knoppix then? Is both zenwalk and Slackware grapical at begining as Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm.. what about knoppix then? Is both zenwalk and Slackware grapical at begining as Ubuntu?
    Knoppix is based on Debian and is thus very similar to Ubuntu.

By default Slackware boots to a CLI. You can easily configure Slackware to KDM (graphical log in).

Zenwalk boots to a graphical log in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hmm.. how to make Slackware graphical? And theres 2 disc actually 4 or 5 but do i only need 1 and 2 disc to make a complete installation? 1 is for "installation" and 2 "is for graphical" ? Looking at 10.2

And knoppix is something you would rekomend? Or is it naughty?

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

IMO

I dont really like Knoppix. Knoppix is freaking great to show your friends the world of Linux and experience their great LiveCD but in a stable every-day system, I'dnt reccomend it. With Ubuntu you get the same advantages as in Knoppix (LiveCD, APT etc) and its better supported and the community is great,

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast