View Poll Results: Will Ubuntu always be free of charge?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

145 75.13%
  • No

5 2.59%
  • Yes, and I will pay for it

19 9.84%
  • No, and I will not pay for it

3 1.55%
  • Still suspicious

21 10.88%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu be always free of charge?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Will Ubuntu be always free of charge?

I'm sure Canonical/Shuttleworth's attitude is having the end result similar to Novell SuSE/openSuSE - RedHat/Fedora - Linspire/Freespire.....

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How do they make money? Easy - the support is $250 a year for basic, thats quite good IMHO. .

Beans

I don't mind the free version and paid version model as long as they keep them the same. I think for the paid version you should get support. Several other distros have a paid/free version model where you either don't get features at all or they are a purposely harder to setup in the free version.
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1 View Post
    How do they make money? Easy - the support is $250 a year for basic, thats quite good IMHO. .
    And that is exactly the philosophy of Ubuntu: everyone is capable to download the software free of charge.
    But a company never wants to buy only a license. They need support. Most Linux distro's have separated versions: one for personal use, one for companies. Ubuntu has only one version, and is asking money for the support. In that way, Ubuntu can still distribute a free version (and that is the only version), and they make money with offering support.

Beans
    Hidden!

They get money from their shop
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans

Debian has been around for a while basically because its all developers that choose to help and their bandwith and servers are donated to them. If push comes to shove and Ubuntu stops being free I will start using Debian since Ubuntu is forked off of Debian anyway.

Beans

Definitely for the next 5 years. Who knows what the computing capabilities of systems will be like after that. I personally doubt if the present heavily divided open source community can meet the needs of those times. We may see a paid for version then..

Beans

Call me naive if you will, but I actually believe this guy Mark S. Even though Ubuntu's popularity has been increasing almost exponentially that has not led to, that they have started to comprimize their principles to try and get as much from this popularity wave as possible. Ubuntu's popularity has been increasing in spite of their view's on propriatary codecs and drivers, and the trouble that come from that for the users. So no! I don't think they are going to back down on their principles.

BUT all this being said it is also important to realize that nothing comes for free. There are people working full time on Ubuntu and they will need to have food, and perhaps more importantly coffee. So it is important that they can make some money on providing proffessional support for buisnesses. And that is where we the community can do something in stead of paying money to help keep Ubuntu running for ever. We can contribute with our skills, first of all to make Ubuntu better by doing programming, translations and writing documentation, but perhaps even more important we can help Cannonical provide the best damn support ever, by testing and helping to track and solve bugs.

Soooo surfacing from my coffee induced, half philosophical, half ideological, naked swim of a brainstorm, I suppose I think the question is all wrong..!

The important question is NOT:
    Will THEY keep the Ubuntu project free of charge and running for ever?
    The important question is:

Will YOU keep the Ubuntu project free of charge and running for ever?

Beans

If Ubuntu wants money I would give it as long as they still offered a free version that I can try out and later go buy the nonfree.
    The thing is that the nonfree distros are not that good, Mandriva sucks, Suse sucks...
    But I would be proud to buy a copy of Ubuntu as it works.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that ubuntu has a strong "free" ethic, e.g. the firefox issue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast