Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kmail vs thunderbird vs evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

kmail vs thunderbird vs evolution

d
    Last edited by DigitalDuality; July 6th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: kmail vs thunderbird vs evolution

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDuality View Post
    just curious. What does everyone prefer and why? i'm using thunderbird now, but noticed that kmail integrates well with Clam and anti-spam tools (spam-assassin), and runs lighter than thunderbird does. And i'm thinking of switching.

But for me to switch will be a hassle. Not quite sure how to export e-mail out of thunderbird into kmail. So it's got to be worth it b/c it's going to take some time getting everything in it's right subfolders and re-roganized and what not. I currently run 3 e-mail pops into thunderbird as well.

I like the fact kmail is better integrated into KDE as well. Speed, added functionality, but a lack of plug-ins/themes/extentions. Not to mention the system tray functionality i've been looking for with thunderbird on linux (i don't like using alltray for that.. and i don't know if alltray even works with kde)

Is there anything else i should take into consideration?
    I dont use an email client. I cant find some basic features that would be great. I prefer the web interface of gmail :/

Well, I have tried Evolution and Thunderbird, and even if Evolution is slower, I prefered it.
    I dont really have reasons for this choice, it was just easier and I prefered the GUI <:

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think this is like alltray but for kde. I don't know it, just saw it in another thread.

http://kdocker.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

right now i use thunderbird because i heard it has better support for using multiple email addresses, which i need. i figure i use firefox, so i'll use thunderbird too.

kmail (in kontact) seems really awesome as well. never tried evolution.

the bad thing i've seen in all of them is that there is extremely poor support for exporting all of your mail.

Beans

I prefer KMail over Evolution. Evolution seems more sluggish on my computer. Plus I use KDE so naturally I'm gonna gravitate towards KDE applications.

Beans

Kontact rocks
    simplicity is perfection

Beans

I use Evolution, though I prefer Kmail... I just chose Evolution because it's better integrated in Gnome, but there are a lot of funcionalities I loved in Kmail that I miss... Maybe someday Evolution will finally evolve.

Beans

I switched from Thunderbird to Kontact about a year ago and, after a few initial bumps, I never looked back. The only things I really missed were the in-built spam filter (easily fixed via setting up Kmail to work with bogofilter), and the folder arrangement for each e-mail account (had to be arranged manually, but was pretty easy).

I've got nothing against Thunderbird, but the lack of integration into KDE (and the lack, as you mentioned, of system tray functionality) made it a bit of a pain to use.

Beans
    Hidden!

KMail wins for the most functionality, best UI, and being lighter and faster than the others. Also, in the case of full suites Kontact offers better integration and far more functionality than Evolution, while also being fully modular (assuming you use a distro with split KDE). Kontact easily beats every PIM application out there, propriety or free, regardless of platform.

I'm amazed how far Kmail has come since the KDE 2 days, when it still used awful single key shortcuts, and typing "KDE" while still accidentally in the main screen meant "k" for select all mail, "d" for delete, and "e" for empty trash, thus permanently and irrecoverably deleting all your mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have never found a mail client better than Thunderbird and thats what I'm sticking with! Thats specificaly for Spam-protection.
    I also find the UI great! (altough parts of it integrate badly with GTK).

I have tried to swith to both Kmail and Evolution, but I never managed to stick with them.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast