Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: driver for OKI B4100 printer

Beans

driver for OKI B4100 printer

Hi,

For all those owners of OKI B4100 printers and other lower models in B series, I composed a ppd file and attach it to this post.

I checked it works with Dapper and Breezy, might work with other distributions, doesn't work on FC5 (don't know why).

Basically, it's a heavily modified ppd for hp laserjet 6, and uses hpijs driver.

With the attached ppd you can use all OKI options, and you can set paper type, weight, 2 toner saver modes, tray/manual feed, etc.

With this ppd OKI prints at 600dpi. You can tell your printer to use 1200dpi too but hpijs doesn't support resolutions over 600dpi.

DON'T FORGET to switch off duplex printing in printer properties, otherwise each page you print will be followed by a blank one.

For those completely new to Ubuntu <like me >, download the attachment and double-click on it, then extract the .ppd file to a convenient location. Then go to System->Administration->Printing, Double-click on 'Add new printer', then follow instructions, when asked for printer model, click on 'install driver' and open your ppd file, then follow instructions again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: driver for OKI B4100 printer

Hi

Thanks for the driver. I am very new to Linux and i am still trying to set up my computer to use it. I installed the driver as you described but when I go to print a document from openoffice the light on the printer flashes as though everything is Ok but it fails to continue printing. Have I forgoten to do something? The printer is connected by the parallel port not USB

Thanks

Beans

Thank you a million times! This is the third time in the last 5 years that I try migrating to linux, and I think this time I'll make it. What I love about ubuntu is that there are people like you that make my life so much easier and less frustrating.

Driver works like a charm.

Cheers,
    Martin

Beans

Many thanks from me, too. Driver works perfectly under Ubuntu 7.04

Beans

works great under debian (etch), thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Wow, thanks so much. This was THE ONE THING that I'd been pulling my hair out about.

Beans

thank a lot! it works in Fedora 7

Miky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Easterly Wind View Post
    Hi,

For all those owners of OKI B4100 printers and other lower models in B series, I composed a ppd file and attach it to this post.

I checked it works with Dapper and Breezy, might work with other distributions, doesn't work on FC5 (don't know why).

Basically, it's a heavily modified ppd for hp laserjet 6, and uses hpijs driver.

With the attached ppd you can use all OKI options, and you can set paper type, weight, 2 toner saver modes, tray/manual feed, etc.

With this ppd OKI prints at 600dpi. You can tell your printer to use 1200dpi too but hpijs doesn't support resolutions over 600dpi.

DON'T FORGET to switch off duplex printing in printer properties, otherwise each page you print will be followed by a blank one.

For those completely new to Ubuntu <like me >, download the attachment and double-click on it, then extract the .ppd file to a convenient location. Then go to System->Administration->Printing, Double-click on 'Add new printer', then follow instructions, when asked for printer model, click on 'install driver' and open your ppd file, then follow instructions again.
    Thank you very much for the post. The driver works perfectly, except by two little issues:

1) I have a blank page at the end of every job with I can not prevent of being released,

2) Although I think this is an issue between the cups on my local machine and the router in wich the printer is installed (a Siemens SE551 router): there is a delay of 1 to 3 minutes between every page.

Have anyone experienced some situations like this?

Thanks!
    []'s
    Tassini
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 18951

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Dripbagulhos View Post
    Thank you very much for the post. The driver works perfectly, except by two little issues:

1) I have a blank page at the end of every job with I can not prevent of being released,

2) Although I think this is an issue between the cups on my local machine and the router in wich the printer is installed (a Siemens SE551 router): there is a delay of 1 to 3 minutes between every page.

Have anyone experienced some situations like this?

Thanks!
    Let me add some pieces of information:

If I boot Windows on the same machine, I can print 50 pages in 10 minutes (3 times faster), with little better quality and no blank page at the end of the job. I guess the problem is not a problem but two problems:
    1. CUPs
    2. Driver

Cups had bad performance with all printers I tested. With any inkjet pluged durectely on my micro, it has worse quality and is 3 times slower than windows

The driver must be the responsible to send 1 blank page at the end of every job, since I didn't get this issue with any other printer
    []'s
    Tassini
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 18951

Beans

how to disable the duplex printing in property.
    i had checked the .ppd file, it says that *DefaultDuplex: None

don't know why and how to avoid the printer always to print out a blank paper

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast