Thread: HowTo: Fix Firefox Flash Sound Issues

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HowTo: Fix Firefox Flash Sound Issues

Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron View Post
    How do I do that?
    just open opera with "aoss opera" it seems to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phormion View Post
    miwarlock002, could you tell me what you get if you type the following in a shell, please?

$ which alsa

$ dpkg -S `which alsa`

Also, did you alter your firefox startup script? What output do you get if you run firefox from a terminal with 'firefox -V'?
    I have tried both of these commands and produced no results. I did remember, however that I ran:

Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    and specified Advanced Linux Sound Architechture. I did edit the /etc/firefox/firefoxrc file to reflect "alsa." None will attempt to use esddsp or esd itself so I think that's why it worked. I could put in "auto" and it would probably still work. I just know that as None it didn't have audio on youtube. It could have just been a random occurance as well. Also, I did not install the ubuntu repository install of flash simply because it would produce an error state on install. Sorry for the lax information initially. I had to retrace all of my steps from setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It doesn't freeze when I use esddsp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

miwarlock002, thanks for replying. However, I'm thinking that it might be something else that fixed the problem irrespective of the change you made to firefoxrc. If 'alsa' is not a valid binary on your machine (as proven by you saying which alsa doesn't print anything) and you haven't changed your firefox startup script (/usr/lib/firefox/firefox), chances are you are running the browser without any DSP wrapper, just like the FIREFOX_DSP value would be set to 'none'.

How 'bout the output of 'firefox -V'? It should print what DSP wrapper it uses.
    Last edited by phormion; September 24th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

miwarlock002, thanks for replying. However, I'm thinking that it might be something else that fixed the problem irrespective of the change you made to firefoxrc. If 'alsa' is not a valid binary on your machine (as proven by you saying which alsa doesn't print anything) and you haven't changed your firefox startup (/usr/lib/firefox/firefox), chances are you are running the browser without any DSP wrapper, just like the FIREFOX_DSP value would be set to 'none'.

How 'bout the output of 'firefox -V'? It should print what DSP wrapper it uses.
    Here is the output:

Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP=alsa
    APPLICATION_ID=firefox
    CMDLINE_DISPLAY=
    DISPLAY=:0.0
    OPTIONS=
    DEBUG=0
    DEBUGGER=
    Running: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin -a firefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It defaults to another one (probably auto/esd) if the one in firefoxrc is invalid.

Just enter some random thing in there and it will still work.
    FIREFOX_DSP=blalhballh

Beans
    Distro

OK, so it's how I suspected, firefox gets run as if FIREFOX_DSP would be set to 'none' - the important part is what comes after "Running: ".

If I put FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc, I get:

Running: aoss /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin -a firefox
    As you can see, firefox is being run through aoss. However, if I use either "none" or "alsa", the result is the same:

As far as I can see, no DSP wrapper is used in either of the last 2 cases - there shouldn't be any difference between using "alsa" or "none" in firefoxrc (you could try replacing alsa with anything else that is not a binary name and see what happens). Since FIREFOX_DSP is not exported by the script, it's not visible in the firefox binary's environment, so it can't make any difference after the script has called the firefox binary.

So if you don't have problems with sounds in Flash and interaction with other applications using sound, I don't think it's because of the firefoxrc setting. Unfortunately I don't know that much about gstreamer to figure out if it makes a difference.

On a positive note, somebody from Adobe showed a demo of Flash 9 on Ubuntu at some conference recently: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...inux_demo.html. I thought it's worth mentioning, since I thought that complaining to Adobe was one way to ensure that the flash plugin gets fixed, and this is at least proof that something is being done in their camp.
    Last edited by phormion; September 24th, 2006 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

Yeah I am finding that out. I put in "auto" and now when I run firefox -V I get this:

Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP=
    APPLICATION_ID=firefox
    CMDLINE_DISPLAY=
    DISPLAY=:0.0
    OPTIONS=
    DEBUG=0
    DEBUGGER=
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so: undefined symbol: XtCalloc]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so: undefined symbol: XtCalloc]
    ... but it still works. gstreamer perhaps? esd is not running as verfied in the System Monitor process tab list..

Beans
    Distro

miwarlock002, I've no idea.

However, I've tried something I wanted to do for some time (and Rob2687 was suggesting it, too) - use FIREFOX_DSP="esddsp". The video and sound are delayed (but so are they if you don't use any DSP wrapper), but at least the audio plays without interruptions.

Rob2687, I think the change that broke most people was to change the default FIREFOX_DSP value in the firefox script from "esddsp" to "none", at least that's what this comment from the script implies:

if [ -z "${FIREFOX_DSP}" ]; then
    #FIREFOX_DSP="auto"
    FIREFOX_DSP="none"
    # esddsp is dreadful, see https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/29760
    fi
    Being a developer myself, I honestly don't agree with the change (explained in the page linked). esddsp might be buggy and have limitations, but it got the job done for people. I think there are way more people affected by this change than the ones that hit the limitations of esddsp. I think warning users about the script's limitations would've been a lot more appropriate.

Beans

Smile Re: HowTo: Fix Firefox Flash Sound Issues

I was experiencing the same symptoms. Ubuntu 6.06 with Firefox 1.5.0.7 and Flash Player 7.0.68, alsa-oss package installed and FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc.
    Flash videos (like in YouTube or Google Video) play with no sound, and always hang after 1 or 2 seconds playing.

But, the following solution by Daniel Carrera at launchpad.net solved the problem. Now the videos play smoothly and with sound!
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...60/comments/12

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
    sudo mkdir -p /tmp/.esd/
    sudo touch /tmp/.esd/socket

I hope this helps.
    Marcio Avila,
    Brazil

I'm running Dapper, with esd, which seems to be the default. Whether esd is running or killed, if I put FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc and then start firefox, and then try to open a video on youtube, it only plays for the first second or so, then freezes. This happens *always* - it's very easy to reproduce on my Ubuntu install.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast