Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Thank you for the howto!
    I'm using kubuntu Dapper with a 2.6.15-27 kernel and kde seems to autodetect the proper sound server without modifying any file as in Gnome.
    It seems it doesn't need ESD too...
    I have the rear speakers working for now, I just have to try some 5.1 DVD
    Thank you again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Center/LFE swapped to Rear L/R

I've got an analog 5.1 speaker system.
    I have a strange problem...but I think I'm not the only one.

All the drivers I have installed under Windowz had the Center/LFE channell swapped to the Rear Channells.
    So I just plugged my speakers' jacks reversed on the mainboard (Black plugged into orange, orange plugged into black), and all worked fine.
    Maybe it's some bug in drivers or in the colours of the holes in the mainboard.

Now under my dapper when I play an mp3 I have the same situation, while when I play a 5.1 film I have to plug the jacks in the correct place 'cause I hear center in the left/rear channell.

Moreover when I unplug the center and rear jacks I hear a louder sound from the subwoofer while when I connect all the jacks the sound in the subwoofer seems to be less loud.
    Changing the LfeSet and LfeSlider voices in /etc/nvmixrc doesn't seem to work

Anyone can help me??
    Last edited by Icarosaurus; October 17th, 2006 at 10:55 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Soundstorm+flash 9 = no workie for me.

Anyone have this issue out there. I know on my laptop it somehow muted the PCM control (a lil' important) and I'm wondering if that's the issue I'm having.

Also, gaim isn't generating sounds.

When I run firefox under terminal, I get this when trying to play a youtube vid....

Code:
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2102:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1305:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
    Over and over and over. Something's failing, and I don't know what.
    Last edited by daverab; October 20th, 2006 at 04:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by daverab View Post

Anyone have this issue out there. I know on my laptop it somehow muted the PCM control (a lil' important) and I'm wondering if that's the issue I'm having.

Also, gaim isn't generating sounds.

When I run firefox under terminal, I get this when trying to play a youtube vid....

Code:
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2102:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1305:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
    Over and over and over. Something's failing, and I don't know what.
    soundstorm is an oss driver, not alsa. You have to make sure the apps are set to use either oss or ESD for sound. In gaim (at least 2.0beta3) go to tools-->settings-->sound and select esd.

I don't know how to fix sound in flash, but maybe flash 9 is better than flash 7?
    Edit: I just saw you posted this issue in a flash 9 thread, so I guess you've already tried everything.
    Last edited by jocko; October 20th, 2006 at 06:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daverab View Post
    Same problem here, downgraded back to flash 7. I hope adobe will fix this or someone can find a patch...

Beans

Well thanks for the instruction on ESD jocko. That did work for gaim. Now only if I could figure out what the heck is going on with flash 9.

I so want it working on this machine because of the synching issue being fixed with audio.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by mouse256 View Post
    Same problem here, downgraded back to flash 7. I hope adobe will fix this or someone can find a patch...
    You may need to use the aoss wrapper.

Beans

Hi! When i do this howto on Edgy RC amd 64 i get :
    ------------------
    from /home/bart/NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/m
    ain/nvmain.c:29:
    include/asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h: In function ‘pci_map_page’:
    include/asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:49: warning: pointer of type ‘void *
    �� used in arithmetic
    /home/bart/NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvmain.c: At top l
    evel:
    /home/bart/NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvmain.c:2191: err
    or: expected ‘)’ before ‘int’
    make[4]: *** [/home/bart/NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvma
    in.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/bart/NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/m
    ain] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
    -> Error.
    ERROR: The NVIDIA kernel module was not created.
    ERROR: Installation of the audio driver has failed. Please see the file
    '/var/log/nvidia-nforce-installer.log' for details. You may find
    suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on
    the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    ------

(

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_25 View Post
    You may need to use the aoss wrapper.
    So...use AOSS for the FIREFOX_DSP value? I've tried that myself without much luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metalfreak666 View Post
    Hi! When i do this howto on Edgy RC amd 64 i get
    Why would you do that? If you have amd 64 you'll have no nforce 2. As far as I know the nvsound drivers only have an advantage above the kernel drivers for use with nforce 2 with soundstorm.
    I suggest to use the kernel intel_8x0 drivers with alsa

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast