Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Quote Originally Posted by dustoashes View Post
    Ok, I've managed Flash w/ sound. So all is good. Many thank yous to the useful HOWTOs.

P.S. Any plugins that would enhance the sound quality, make it a bit more bassy, etc.?
    I'm not sure what you mean with plugins?
    There is no graphical equalizer in nvmixer, but the file where nvmixer stores it's values does contain values for an equalizer.
    You could try by manually editing the file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/nvmixrc
    Find these lines:
    Code:
    GlobalEQ:0
    EQPreset:18
    CustomBand0:0.000000
    CustomBand1:0.000000
    CustomBand2:0.000000
    CustomBand3:0.000000
    CustomBand4:0.000000
    CustomBand5:0.000000
    CustomBand6:0.000000
    CustomBand7:0.000000
    CustomBand8:0.000000
    Setting "GlobalEQ" to 1 activates the equalizer, and the "CustomBand#" lines acts as an equalizer with the lowest frequencies in CustomBand0 and the highest in CustomBand8. It seems like the valid values are between -20 to (+)10. I have no idea what the EQPreset variable does...
    After you have changed something and saved the file, load the new setting with:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/nvmix-reg -f /etc/nvmixrc -L
    Last edited by jocko; April 26th, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Ok, but finding out a good sound configuration with this is an issue. Is there anything I could use, for example, in Amarok to enhance the sound quality?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dustoashes View Post
    Ok, but finding out a good sound configuration with this is an issue. Is there anything I could use, for example, in Amarok to enhance the sound quality?
    I'm not that familiar with amarok but I installed it just to see how it works.
    It has it's own equalizer (under Tools --> Equalizer), and there's a bunch of presets you could try. Is that what you mean by enhance sound quality?
    I think you should also set it to use oss output (Settings --> configure amarok -->Interface --> Output plugin).

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there an update for the 2.6.25 and higher kernels? When I try to build the module I am getting this error:

cc -Wp,-MD,/home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/.nvalinux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.1/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -fno-stack-protector -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -MD -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error -DNV_REMAP_PFN_RANGE_PRESENT -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_ATTR_PRESENT -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(nvalinux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(nvsound)" -c -o /home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvalinux.o /home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvalinux.c
    In file included from include/linux/list.h:8,
    from include/linux/module.h:9,
    from /home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvalinux.c:19:
    include/linux/prefetch.h: In function ‘prefetch_range’:
    include/linux/prefetch.h:57: warning: pointer of type ‘void *’ used in arithmetic
    In file included from include/asm/dma-mapping_32.h:5,
    from include/asm/dma-mapping.h:2,
    from include/linux/dma-mapping.h:52,
    from include/asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:7,
    from include/asm/pci.h:90,
    from include/linux/pci.h:945,
    from /home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvalinux.c:29:
    include/linux/scatterlist.h: In function ‘sg_virt’:
    include/linux/scatterlist.h:199: warning: pointer of type ‘void *’ used in arithmetic
    In file included from /home/salvador/builds/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1/nvsound/main/nvalinux.c:37:
    include/linux/highmem.h: In function ‘zero_user_segments’:
    include/linux/highmem.h:134: warning: pointer of type ‘void *’ used in arithmetic

and so on. I've applied the 2.6.24 patch to no avail. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by simpleharmonics View Post
    Is there an update for the 2.6.25 and higher kernels? When I try to build the module I am getting this error:
    I've applied the 2.6.24 patch to no avail. Any ideas?
    I'm not sure I see any error in there... If there is an error, you should see the word "error" with a short description after it. I saw at least some of those messages/warnings on 2.6.24 and earlier, even when the compilation worked.
    Can you post the entire contents in your /var/log/nvidia-nforce-installer.log?
    It may give some clue...
    I haven't tried it on 2.6.25, but on 2.6.26 I got LOTS of errors. I managed to get rid of some of them, but some others I could not solve.
    If you show me the log from your failure on 2.6.25, maybe I can figure it out with some googling... Or, if you manage to solve it yourself, please share your solution...
    Last edited by jocko; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:31 AM.

Beans

Hey I'm having problems patching the extracted nvidia driver, after running the following code

Code:
    ./2.6.24-patch
    sudo ./nforce-installer
    i get the following error message

Code:
    tim@Bill:~/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1$ ./2.6.24-patch
    ./2.6.24-patch: 2: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 3: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 4: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 5: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 6: patch: not found
    does anyone have ideas, as I've read all of this thread and no ones had a similar problem so I must be doing something wrong?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by timmio87 View Post
    Hey I'm having problems patching the extracted nvidia driver, after running the following code

Code:
    ./2.6.24-patch
    sudo ./nforce-installer
    i get the following error message

Code:
    tim@Bill:~/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1$ ./2.6.24-patch
    ./2.6.24-patch: 2: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 3: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 4: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 5: patch: not found
    ./2.6.24-patch: 6: patch: not found
    does anyone have ideas, as I've read all of this thread and no ones had a similar problem so I must be doing something wrong?
    EDIT: Found the problem (I think):
    Did you really follow my instructions exactly as they are written?
    It looks to me that you don't have the program "patch" installed, which means you have not installed build-essential, so you skipped step 1 in the howto...
    Last edited by jocko; July 6th, 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I'm not sure I see any error in there... If there is an error, you should see the word "error" with a short description after it. I saw at least some of those messages/warnings on 2.6.24 and earlier, even when the compilation worked.
    Can you post the entire contents in your /var/log/nvidia-nforce-installer.log?
    It may give some clue...
    I haven't tried it on 2.6.25, but on 2.6.26 I got LOTS of errors. I managed to get rid of some of them, but some others I could not solve.
    If you show me the log from your failure on 2.6.25, maybe I can figure it out with some googling... Or, if you manage to solve it yourself, please share your solution...
    sorry I haven't checked back, I ended up keeping the .24 kernel for now. basically running the installer gives the warnings about pointers and fails to build the module. I will post the install log when i get home later tonight.

I think it has something to do with gcc 4.3 (or later), but I'm talking from memory, will have more info later.

Has anyone else had success with the .25+ kernels and the nforce-nvsound module?

Beans

hi folks,

many thanks for this great how to!

only when i will play some games my sound didnt work.

It says:

3D EGO Shooter Sauerbraten gives me:
    ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1492_snd_pcm_direct_get_slave_ipc_offset) Invalid value for card
    or some other games like secret maryo chronicles

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1492_snd_pcm_direct_get_slave_ipc_offset) Invalid value for card
    Last known SDL Error : No available audio device

Is it possible that I receive this error message from everything witch uses ALSA??

Anyone an idea?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thewarlord View Post
    Is it possible that I receive this error message from everything witch uses ALSA??

Anyone an idea?
    Yes, that's it. Anything that tries to use alsa will fail. If there is no way to tell the application to use oss instead ther is no easy way to fix it.
    In Gutsy it's possible to set alsa to use a pulseaudio plugin, which redirects alsa to oss through pulseaudio, but unfortunately a NASTY bug in pulseaudio (which the pulseaudio developers claim is in the nvsound driver...) makes the entire system freeze up completely whenever you try to combine nvsound with pulseaudio...
    So if you use gutsy, it's relatively easy to fix, while in hardy it probably impossible...

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast