Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The beginning of an end of JFS & XFS

Beans

Re: The beginning of an end of JFS & XFS

Businesses like to play along with the major players. Since Red Hat has maybe around 80% of linux server market share, unless RHEL supports JFS and XFS which are both designed for high-end workstations and servers it might not be strategically viable to put resources into developing JFS/XFS.

It is hard to persuade Red Hat to include support for JFS/XFS since they have invested considerable amount of resources to develop ext4, which is in my opinion stupid move because we have technically superior file systems GPL'ed right here and been around since 90's.

Nevertheless, it is good news if SuSe will have JFS/XFS support since as far as I know, SuSe is the second biggest player in the linux server market after Red Hat.
    Last edited by The Keeper; September 9th, 2006 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Both SuSE and Fedora have unofficial support for XFS and JFS just pass the relevant options to the installer. That is not likely to change. I also believe Ubuntu installs on XFS and JFS, if there are enough users to warrent official support it will happen.

Personally I'm a huge Reiser4 advocate, it seems like the way forward and now with the "plugins" to help them add functionality without having to throw away big piles of code there is very little chance of the FUD scenerio of them leaving the 4.x series behind. And wait.. yes Namesys are still supporting ReiserFS v3 the only thing they don't do is add features which is a good thing from stability. SuSE have added xattr support to ReiserFS in the kernel and it caused all kinds of horror because bolting new technology on age old designs that aren't as flexible as they could or should be (and Reiser4 is the correct design solution now and for the forseeable future) is catagorically a bad idea.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Fedora and RHEL are different products though and businesses will almost always choose RHEL over Fedora. There's a reason why RHEL has majority of the server market share. The problem here seems to be RHEL more than anything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by The Keeper View Post
    It is hard to persuade Red Hat to include support for JFS/XFS since they have invested considerable amount of resources to develop ext4, which is in my opinion stupid move because we have technically superior file systems GPL'ed right here and been around since 90's.
    The only thing is, the filesystem consistency techniques employed by XFS/JFS all assume a level of hardware reliability (i.e. battery backed up write cache, unexpected voltage drop does not cause garbage to leak to the disks, etc) that is simply not true on average x86 hardware... ext3 as a result is a lot more dependable on cheap x86 hardware compared to the other filesystems. Until the other filesystems get some degree of protection against unreliable hardware, I don't feel safe employing them on the average system. And, XFS did get write barriers starting with 2.6.17, but in some real-world situations (i.e. copying a kernel source tree) I've noticed a significant (100-150%) drop in performance, which is slightly concerning.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

In my experience and knowledge that is not so true with JFS, which is why I prefer it over XFS. The main selling point of ext3 is its popularity and proven reliability. JFS is unpopular and its reliability is largely unproven. However, from my experience I would go as far as to say that ext3 is more reliable only if you enable full data journaling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

JFS does not employ an ordered journaling technique that reiserfs and ext3 support, which means after an abrupt shutdown you are more likely to end up with files that are half-old and half-new.

The developers of JFS on their mailing list have expressed that they are interested in writing an ordered journaling mode, but have not done so.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

JFS is still supported,but not full time. It has a maintainer working on it part time.

Beans

Oracle is working on Brtfs for linux, http://oss.oracle.com/projects/btrfs/ Looks very nice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

EXT4 is still in development, and it might turn out to be a really good FS, that Ubuntu will probably pick up as default at some point.

Beans

Thats rubbish news for me. I won't use anything but XFS (plus ext2 for /boot).

However, is XFS that buggy? I've used it for a while and have not had any problems yet :bites lip:
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast