Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Won't eject disc 1!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Won't eject disc 1!

I don't know if this technically counts as a game, but it's sold as one, so here goes...

I installed and set up Wine on my little Compaq Evo N410c laptop in order to run this one single program, Y!F, for short. Installation requires me to switch to the second CD in the middle of the "copy files to the hard drive" phase, and this was never a problem in Windows. However, in Wine, the drive absolutely refuses to eject CD 1, and when I ask for details it tells me it can't because the drive is busy.

When I cancel out of the installation, I can eject the CD, but when the installer prompts me to switch CDs, nothing happens. When I listen closely, I hear absolutely nothing from the drive, no spinning or reading of the disc whatsoever.

Help?

Thanks,
    Mimsy
    February 2010: Back after two years of Ubuntu hiatus!
    I'm practically starting over, and trying to catch up. Please be patient with me.

Java server of choice: Large French Press

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Won't eject disc 1!

is the disc still spinning in the drive?
    What does a scanner see? Into the head? Into the heart? Does it see into me? Clearly? Or darkly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not that I can tell. Ubuntu claims the drive is busy, but I hear no spinning noises from it, and it's a rather noisy drive. I can hear the disc spin when I put it in, for example.
    I'm practically starting over, and trying to catch up. Please be patient with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Update:
    I take that back. I tried again just a moment ago, just to make sure, and the disc does still spin in the drive. I simply didn't notice earlier. Sorry for the misinformation.

/Mimsy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

one thing, is the light on the drive constely on or blinking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok to solve this problem there's two solutions:
    1) Open a terminal and manually unmount the cdrom
    -First open a terminal.
    -Second type mount to see what device is mounted at /dev/cdrom0 (usually /dev/hdd)
    -Third type sudo umount /dev/hdd (or whatever device is your cd-rom)
    -Fourth insert the next cd and it should auto-mount fine and repeat steps 1 and 2 for any more cd changes.

2) This works if you have two cd drives. Change the wine drive mappings.
    -First open a terminal.
    -Second type winecfg
    -Third click the Drives tab
    -Now click the drive letter that currently represents your cd drive (eg D) and change the path to /dev/cdrom1
    -Click apply and go back to your windows app to continue install, when you need to go back to disc one simply change the path back to /dev/cdrom0

Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I only have one CD drive, so the second solution is unfortunately not possible for me. This happens when I try the umount route:

umount: /media/cdrom0: device is busy
    The disc happily spins away in the drive. This is very strange.

I am open to suggestions.

/Mimsy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am normally able to get past this by running the setup program from outside of where the drive is mounted, and making sure that nothing else is running that is accessing the drive (showing drive contents, etc).

So something like:
    Code:
    wine /media/cdrom/Setup.exe
    from my home directory, not from inside /media/cdrom/. When it requests a second CDROM, I am then able to manually unmount (from a second command prompt) and eject the CD, and put another in.

I have, however, heard of instances where this does not work, possibly because the OS has a background process polling the drive?

As a side note, the command fuser -c /media/cdrom will show which process is using the drive (note the number it displays after the process, remove the letter after it, and use it in place of number in the following command -- ps ax | grep number -- to show you what is using it). It may be possible to kill any other process accessing the drive so you may unmount it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think this might be bad. There is no CD-drive anymore. Now that I think about it, it probably has to do with the umount commands I was typing in yesterday. When I put "mount" in the terminal, to see why I couldn't run the setup from /media/cdrom/, the drive isn't listed among the results. I have a cd recorder I didn't have yesterday though, /dev/hdc on /media/cdrecorder.

Huh?

How do I get the CD drive back?

Thanks,
    Mimsy

Beans

For unmounting

I had the same problem, but I tried:

Code:
    sudo umount /dev/hdb
    and it worked perfectly. It unmounted the Dapper CD I had in there and let me eject it without a restart. Try it.

For mounting

Try the same command, but type mount instead:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hdb
    Essentially, it should work the same way.

Jesse~
    Last edited by jperez; September 8th, 2006 at 10:46 AM.
    Currently running Operating Systems:
    Linux Mint 10 "Julia" (x86) | Maemo 5 (Nokia N900 Phone ARM) | Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast