Thread: Bluetooth: persistent nothifications that phone is connecting/disconnecting

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Bluetooth: persistent nothifications that phone is connecting/disconnecting

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/Pg3SVcmN3c/

Code:
    makem-22:~$ sudo hciconfig
    [sudo] password for makem: 
    hci0:    Type: Primary  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 8C:55:4A:9A:FA:00  ACL MTU: 1021:4  SCO MTU: 96:6
        UP RUNNING PSCAN 
        RX bytes:20112092 acl:46887 sco:90128 events:8797 errors:10
        TX bytes:6672181 acl:4863 sco:90076 commands:3565 errors:8

makem@makem-22:~$
    Code:
    makem@makem-22:~$ sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service
    ● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
         Active: active (running) since Fri 2024-07-05 15:56:19 BST; 3h 23min ago
           Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
       Main PID: 1156 (bluetoothd)
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 18907)
         Memory: 3.4M (peak: 4.2M)
            CPU: 372ms
         CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
                 └─1156 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Jul 05 19:12:34 makem-22 bluetoothd[1156]: bnep0 connected
    Jul 05 19:12:34 makem-22 bluetoothd[1156]: bnep0 disconnected
    Jul 05 19:17:36 makem-22 bluetoothd[1156]: bnep0 connected
    Jul 05 19:17:36 makem-22 bluetoothd[1156]: bnep0 disconnected
    As you will see, there are constant connection attempts made between my new Samsung S24 mobile phone and my Xubuntu PC via Bluetooth.

The first notification announces a connection made and 1 second later a second notification announces a disconnection. This is repeated every few seconds. At time is it takes away the cursor focus.

I have been in touch with Samsung support and they have tried to cure the problem assuming it is a phone problem (I think it is), but they have failed to find anything other than the phone is paired with my PC.

I know over the years I have found that Ubuntu Bluetooth can be flaky. (Maybe my fault )

I have been asked if it could be the PC trying to connect to the phone. Can anyone assist with this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bluetooth: persistent nothifications that phone is connecting/disconnecting

Turn bluetooth off? Does it need to even be enabled? You never said what it is you're trying to do, only the errors you're getting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Just my effort to help, my phone Moto7 power did the same as you show now.
    I edited "/etc/bluetooth/input.conf" and removed the "#" from "UserspaceHID=true":
    Code:
    # Enable HID protocol handling in userspace input profile
    # Defaults to true (Use UHID instead of kernel HIDP)
    UserspaceHID=true
    Then restarted bluetooth:
    Code:
    systemctl restart bluetooth
    Some have still reported a session restart was needed.
    Code:
    bluetoothctl 
    Agent registeredct to bluetoothd...[bluetooth]#         moto g(7) power
    [moto g(7) power]#
    Good Luck
    Last edited by 1fallen; 1 Week Ago at 06:28 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Just my effort to help, my phone Moto7 power did the same as you show now.
    I edited "/etc/bluetooth/input.conf" and removed the "#" from "UserspaceHID=true":
    Code:
    # Enable HID protocol handling in userspace input profile
    # Defaults to true (Use UHID instead of kernel HIDP)
    UserspaceHID=true
    Then restarted bluetooth:
    Code:
    systemctl restart bluetooth
    Some have still reported a session restart was needed.
    Code:
    bluetoothctl 
    Agent registeredct to bluetoothd...[bluetooth]#         moto g(7) power
    [moto g(7) power]#
    Good Luck
    I gave your first suggestion a try and I noticed that the WiFi icon started spinning. Hovering over it shows an attempt at making a mobile connection to my S24 Network. I then had the same two errors Iv'e had previously along with a repeat of both immediately.

A couple of minutes later the same thing occurred. That suggests to me that the system is not trying to make a connection to the phone per se, but the connection is being made to and disconnected from the S24 WiFi network. The phone remains connected to the 5G WiFi connection.

I will liaise with a Samsung tech. who has Uni knowledge of IT and understands Linux. We had dawn a blank so far but this new info may help. In the meantime, as I have never had this problem before I am wondering why I have an S24 WiFi network in the first place. But then I notice I can see my wife's phone network in the list of available networks. Maybe this is a new thing or is it something I have failed to notice which has always been the case?

My wife uses MS-Windows and she does not have this error, nor does my phone attempt connecting to her computer. I will check my Linux laptop to see if I can repeat the error there too.
    Last edited by makem2; 6 Days Ago at 01:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I found an 11 year old post which mentioned that WiFi connections could be edited by selecting the option Edit Connections in the WiFi drop down list

https://askubuntu.com/questions/2840...ork-connection

The Editor showed three Bluetooth not WiFi, network connections has been made but never used. I removed the three networks in the editor.

I rebooted the machine and checked the Editor again. I found the the Bluetooth connections I had removed had been replaced again. (Still showed never used).

I returned the /etc/bluetooth/input.conf file to default settings.

I will mark this thread as solved because what I did solved my repeated connection annoying error. It does remind me of Windows, 'reboot to fix it' solutions.

EDIT: For completeness:

Code:
    makem@makem-22:~$ sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service
    [sudo] password for makem: 
    ● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
         Active: active (running) since Thu 2024-07-11 18:08:15 BST; 40s ago
           Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
       Main PID: 1442 (bluetoothd)
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 18907)
         Memory: 3.1M (peak: 3.6M)
            CPU: 38ms
         CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
                 └─1442 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/aptx_ll_1
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/aptx_ll_0
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/aptx_ll_duplex_1
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/aptx_ll_duplex_0
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/faststream
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/faststream_duplex
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/opus_05
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/opus_05
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/opus_05_duplex
    Jul 11 18:08:25 makem-22 bluetoothd[1442]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.55 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/opus_05_duplex

Last edited by makem2; 6 Days Ago at 06:14 PM. Reason: confirmation that error has gone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Interesting find makem2...I have to wonder how long this holds up though.

Thanks for posting your methods.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Interesting find makem2...I have to wonder how long this holds up though.

Thanks for posting your methods.
    Still holding up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I like a happy ending...
    Thanks makem2
    Dalai Lama>>