Thread: HP all-in-one hardware upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

HP all-in-one hardware upgrade?

Looking for a way to upgrade hardware - motherboard, CPU, and memory on a HP 520-1030 All-in-One. It is an old machine with Bios/Euve, date: 02/24/2012. It came with an intel i3-2120 and 4 GB RAM, since upgraded to 8 GB (maximum). The monitor and audio are outstanding. It has Windows 10 currently installed on it.

It booted up with Xubuntu 22.04.3 and ran satisfactorily - about how a 12 year old machine with limited resources would be expected to perform.

Don't really want to buy anything from HP; I'd rather hack something together possibly with a mini PC, Pi-5, or some other SBC.

What ever I decide, the final product will have Xubuntu installed on it.

Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Is it worth the time and effort?
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HP all-in-one hardware upgrade?

I have not done it and it looks painful (cannibalizing AIOs).

Unless you're constrained by budget or an allegiance to HP, there are likely more effective solutions for deploying mini PCs.

What are you looking to do with it? Check out some small builds on PC Parts Picker if you haven't yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: HP all-in-one hardware upgrade?

@currentshaft

Thanks for your input. It re-enforces some of my own thoughts.

I am usually the recipient of outdated hardware in my family. The HP AIO was a gift from a friend whose business closed. I used one program on it annually from February through April for the past five years.

My original idea was to make a performance improvement project on perfectly good, but dated hardware.

I actually have two mini PCs. I am amazed at the computing power inside these small boxes. I am familiar with PC-Parts-Picker; I have built my own computers, mini-ITX and uATX boxes, since 2006.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/