Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendation for an offical Ubuntu flavour for my machine config

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Need recommendation for an offical Ubuntu flavour for my machine config

I'll answer, but I'm in a hurry so I won't quote and just give some points...

Geany is an app I don't know, but a quick look on my system (ie.

Code:
    guiverc@d7050-next:~$   apt depends geany
    geany
      Depends: libatk1.0-0t64 (>= 1.12.4)
      Depends: libc6 (>= 2.38)
      Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.8.0)
      Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.3.1)
      Depends: libgdk-pixbuf-2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0)
      Depends: libglib2.0-0t64 (>= 2.79.0)
      Depends: libgtk-3-0t64 (>= 3.21.5)
    I stopped at LIBGTK-3 as that is an indication that the app is intended for a GTK3 environment, ie. that app I'd expect would be more efficient on a Xfce (Xubuntu) or even GNOME (Ubuntu Desktop) environment that a LXQt (Qt5) setup....

Looking up details on something you compile would of course need to be done differently.

But does this matter??

To me, my current system is a Ubuntu system....

The desktop (or really session) I logged in is using a Lubuntu one, so I'm using a LXQt desktop with Lubuntu configs (though I've swapped out Lubuntu's WM with xfwm4 from Xfce for reasons)... but I still see the install as a Ubuntu one.

If it was me, and I wanted Ubuntu or a flavor, I'd just install one.. and then decide for yourself which is best.. Personally, I see the release as more critical, ie. do you want a LTS or long term support release, or need newer software?? Currently the latest release is also a LTS, so maybe that implies 24.04 LTS is maybe a winner, as it'll be supported until 2029-April !!

I mentioned multi-desktops in that I find on low-resource hardware its actually helpful. On that ancient thinkpad I mentioned, the RAM is so minimal (1.5GB) that I decide which DE or WM I'll used at login...

Have you tried Xfce? LXQt? do you have a preference for one or the other?? Have you tried MATE? or other DEs (Xfce the lightest GTK, LXQt the lightest Qt5, MATE probably next lightest GTK etc)

Geany is one app you stated, and I suspect that app would perform better on Xubuntu.. so maybe Xubuntu. Most of what you describe though is very light, as you appear to not be fussy with your requirements at all (ie. almost any text editor would do I suspect...) and no mention of any special development environment.

I rarely use touch devices, but personally I do like GNOME best when using touch...

Your requirements are light as I see it, so I'd try some and see which you think you'll be happiest with.. But if you make a wrong decision, if you've installed Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu-Budgie, Ubuntu-.... etc. you can rather easily convert one into another... via package changes OR just a non-destructive re-install (see end)...

What GPU does your box have... Another benefit of Xfce or Xubuntu.. is I have found it has fewer issues than other desktops with really old graphics cards (even better than Lubuntu of late too!) If you try some out (ie. write them to a thumb-drive, even using a tool like Ventoy to write multiple ISOs to a thumb-drive and just use them live on your hardware without install) you may decide some you like, others you don't.. thus have fewer to choose from anyway.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubu...re-you-install (which applies to all Ubuntu Desktop flavors too ! )

I'll add I did keep some older hardware on older releases, as I get better performance.. I also find the older hardware can perform better on the older kernel stacks (ie. Ubuntu LTS has kernel stack choice; GA being better for older hardware often, HWE usually best for newer hardware of course)... but this can usually easily be changed post-install

-----

I'll go off on another tangent.... but you can also change flavors rather easily too for releases up to 23.10... I talk about it over on the prior site (https://askubuntu.com/questions/4461...451533#1451533)...

ie.. the final comment talks about a problem I encountered in 24.04 or noble QA testing... ie. Some testing I perform includes the following

- install a system (say Lubuntu)... makes changes to desktop (eg. change wallpaper); add additional packages/apps & data files to make it my own system... looks good now ..
    - install non-destructively a Xubuntu system... & reboot... On login I expect the LXQt desktop to be replaced by Xfce, all Lubuntu/LXQt apps to now be Xfce apps, but my additional apps I expect to still be there (re-installed actually!) & my data files to survive....
    - install non-destructively a Ubuntu Desktop system & reboot... On login I now expect to see GNOME apps & GNOME desktop, but still have my have data files intact, plus my non-standard music play continue the same playlist I created back on the first Lubuntu install...
    - now non-destructively re-install Lubuntu, and reboot... I now expect to have returned back to where I started with the altered wallpaper I selected on the first step, my non-standard music app still there progressing through my music playlist, and my data files there etc...

This is an QA type of install test I've done on many releases... on 24.04 it discovered a problem, thus this has been prevented on flavors using `ubuntu-desktop-installer` ... so maybe making the correct choice matters.. but personally I still don't think it does... This is still possible for some flavors (those using calamares for starters) but my attempted point is I don't think you need to stress over which flavor... I consider them all Ubuntu, and you can turn one into another by just changing packages...

You do realize all Ubuntu flavors are created by the same tools, on the same infrastructure etc... ie. the seed files just alter which packages get included..., for 24.04 or noble two such seed files are
    - https://ubuntu-archive-team.ubuntu.c....noble/desktop
    - https://ubuntu-archive-team.ubuntu.c....noble/desktop

A quick explore from those and you'll find links to other flavors, or even Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server etc...

I do really just see them all as Ubuntu systems... with different packages, and we can install/remove packages rather easily...

Release maybe consider too, what kernel stack works well with your GPU etc.. Have you tried any? on the intended hardware?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Cinnamon 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by j.gohel View Post
    @phatton1 Thanks for your response. Do you mind sharing whether your machines share similar configuration like mine? If you notice I have a Intel Celeron N4500 Processor 1.1 Ghz processor and max 4GB memory support.
    Totally different pcs by different companies. One is an old hp, the other more modern one is from novatech

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post

I stopped at LIBGTK-3 as that is an indication that the app is intended for a GTK3 environment, ie. that app I'd expect would be more efficient on a Xfce (Xubuntu) or even GNOME (Ubuntu Desktop) environment that a LXQt (Qt5) setup....
    Ok.

If it was me, and I wanted Ubuntu or a flavor, I'd just install one.. and then decide for yourself which is best.. Personally, I see the release as more critical, ie. do you want a LTS or long term support release, or need newer software?? Currently the latest release is also a LTS, so maybe that implies 24.04 LTS is maybe a winner, as it'll be supported until 2029-April !!
    Yes LTS is preferred.

I mentioned multi-desktops in that I find on low-resource hardware its actually helpful. On that ancient thinkpad I mentioned, the RAM is so minimal (1.5GB) that I decide which DE or WM I'll used at login...

Have you tried Xfce? LXQt? do you have a preference for one or the other?? Have you tried MATE? or other DEs (Xfce the lightest GTK, LXQt the lightest Qt5, MATE probably next lightest GTK etc)
    Sorry cannot answer that I as am unaware about those technical things. As I said I know bare-minimum linux with which I can achieve my daily programming job. But yes, based on your first quote in this answer I think Xfce indicates Xubuntu and based on that what I understand is that you are asking me have I tried Xubuntu? If yes, then no I haven't.

Code:
    Geany is one app you stated, and I suspect that app would perform better on Xubuntu.. so maybe Xubuntu.   Most of what you describe though is very light, as you appear to not be fussy with your requirements at all (ie. almost any text editor would do I suspect...) and no mention of any special development environment.
    Yes. Geany is just a preference because I am used to it for so many years. But no rigidity regarding it.

I rarely use touch devices, but personally I do like GNOME best when using touch..
    Sorry couldn't get you on that. Is there any flavour available which supports touch features and which I can try?

Your requirements are light as I see it, so I'd try some and see which you think you'll be happiest with.. But if you make a wrong decision, if you've installed Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu-Budgie, Ubuntu-.... etc. you can rather easily convert one into another... via package changes OR just a non-destructive re-install (see end)...
    Ok.

What GPU does your box have...
    Code:
    Graphics:  Intel® UHD Graphics
    Display:29.46cm  (11.6), 16:9 HD (1366 x 768), 250nits,  NTSC: 50%  , Screen-to-body  ratio:63 %, MPP2.0 Stylus input,  360-degree Flip hinges | Garaged Stylus with inboard Charging
    Another benefit of Xfce or Xubuntu.. is I have found it has fewer issues than other desktops with really old graphics cards (even better than Lubuntu of late too!) If you try some out (ie. write them to a thumb-drive, even using a tool like Ventoy to write multiple ISOs to a thumb-drive and just use them live on your hardware without install) you may decide some you like, others you don't.. thus have fewer to choose from anyway.
    Thanks for letting me know about Ventoy. I will definitely download ISOs of multiple flavours on my pen-drive and try them without installing.

I'll go off on another tangent.... but you can also change flavors rather easily too for releases up to 23.10... I talk about it over on the prior site (https://askubuntu.com/questions/4461...451533#1451533)...
    Thanks for sharing this. I will bookmark it just in case I needed to perform such changes with my installation.

Thank you so much again for sparing your precious time for such elaborate answers and guidance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Your processor has 1.1 GHz base frequency, 2.8 GHz burst frequency. What that means is explained by intel here. Your operating system does nothing most of the time, so the burst frequency is more relevant. 2.8 is more than 1.5, so it's fine. Anyway, processor speed isn't the most critical. If slow, your system will become slow, not unusable.

De base speed is more relevant for processes that run at high load for a long time. Real-time simulations and things like that.

4 GiB isn't a lot of memory, but you should be fine, as long as you don't run a web browser with 26 open tabs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Post #1

I want to install Ubuntu on it.
    There is another option which I use daily.
    Subject to host PC having USB 3.0 port (for speed) you can quite happily run Ubuntu in an external SSD. I have two in a powered dual docking bay from StarTech. The SSD's sit in caddies which plug into the powered dual docking bay.

P.S. for note editing I suggest CherryTree.

Beans

Finally I installed Ubuntu Cinnamon after trying following flavours (using Ventoy) before installing them on my low-config machine for which I sought recommendation for a particular flavour. Following are the observations I noticed.

Code:
    Xubuntu
       UX I found ok on my screen.
       Touchpad not working.
       Touchscreen working.

Cinnamon
       UX I found rich on my screen.
       Touchscreen working
       Installing Ruby hanged. Probably it was because I was trying it live with Windows already on the machine. But later when I actually decided to install it everything went smooth.

Kubuntu
       Touchpad not working.
       Touchscreen working.

Lubuntu
       Touchpad not working.
       Touchscreen working.

Ubuntu Budgie
       Hanged after logged-in saying preparing it.

Ubuntu Mate
       Touchpad detected.
       Slight delay while preparing. After few mins it worked.
    Hope this would help someone else like me who might end up finding this discussion.

And Thank you again to all of you who spared time to share their recommendations and a big thanks to @guiverc for his elaborate guidance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12