Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to install Guestaddition

Beans

Re: how to install Guestaddition

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html answers all questions related to guest additions.
    Thanks

I have checked it before. It is a lengthy document. Unfortunately I couldn't find the search function.

I'm searching for how to install GuestAddition globally, instead of installing it on each VM, one by one.

Regards

Beans

Hi all,

My current running VirtualBox version was reinstalled on Ubuntu repo

On Host terminal running;
    $ apt policy virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
    Code:
    virtualbox-guest-additions-iso:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 7.0.16-1
      Version table:
         7.0.16-1 500
            500 http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble/multiverse amd64 Packages
            500 http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble/multiverse i386 Packages
    N: Ignoring file 'ubuntu.sources_20240621' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    The GuestAddition is on repo. Can I install it instead of downloading it on Oracle VirtualBox website?

The more I read and more search made on Internet the more confusing I'm

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Thanks

I have checked it before. It is a lengthy document. Unfortunately I couldn't find the search function.

I'm searching for how to install GuestAddition globally, instead of installing it on each VM, one by one.

Regards
    Sorry, but you can't install guest-additions globally to all of your VMs in a single action; the additions are, as seems perfectly normal to me, installed in each guest, not in the host so you have to boot each VM and then install GA one by one.

I gave up on VBox some time ago in favour of KVM/QEMU which you may wish to investigate as it's much better than VBox in my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks

Uh ... use the browser "search" ... often <cntl>-f?

Regards
    Well,
    a) guest additions aren't mandated. They are optional. They are only necessary if you want the non-GPL, non-free, stuff that Oracle sneaks into the total solution.

b) Guest Additions are per-kernel extensions, so each guest kernel OS needs to be re-linked, for the specific guest extensions to be installed. That means it cannot be installed from outside a running guest. Further, each guest needs to provide the required software tools and dependencies required to support the re-link of kernel modules. They are probably all different inside each guest, unless you happen to run exactly the same guest OSes inside each guest VM.

c) There are other hypervisors that can be used. Some of them only use normal GPL licensed software, which means updating them doesn't need to be point-n-click. It can be automated much easier. Alas, you chose to run Virtualbox. It isn't a terrible tool, but it does have limitations.

d) When searching for solutions, always start with the documentation for the tool first. If there isn't any mention of the capability you seek, asking for help is fine, but it is best if you've already tried finding the answer yourself and state what you've tried already.
    In the linked URL, is says in the installation section:
    the Guest Additions are designed to be installed inside a virtual machine after the guest operating system has been installed.
    The Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions for all supported guest operating systems are provided as a single CD-ROM image file which is called VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This image file is located in the installation directory of Oracle VM VirtualBox. To install the Guest Additions for a particular VM, you mount this ISO file in your VM as a virtual CD-ROM and install from there.
    That's pretty clear. Your Vbox host computer already has the correct .iso installed. Just mount it and run the installer from inside each guest VM. That is also clear.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Sorry, but you can't install guest-additions globally to all of your VMs in a single action; the additions are, as seems perfectly normal to me, installed in each guest, not in the host so you have to boot each VM and then install GA one by one.

I gave up on VBox some time ago in favour of KVM/QEMU which you may wish to investigate as it's much better than VBox in my opinion.
    Hi@ajgreeny and all,

Thanks for your advice.

Problem solved, easy and simple. It is NOT necessary to download GuestAddition package on Internet.

Performed following steps:
    1) On Host terminal run;
    Code:
    $ sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
    (to install GuestAdditions on Ubuntu repo)

Start VirtualBox VM
    -> Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD Image ...

Click VBox_CAs_V7.0.16 Icon
    -> VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

Wait until it finishes.

Restart VM (that is all)

My problem is I have to repeat the same steps on each VM. I have >20 VMs and it'll take me some time to complete.

I don't know WHY it would happen. VirtualBox has been running on this PC, say PC1, sometimes before without problem.

I have another Ubuntu 22.04 PC, say PC2. It has exactly the same problem. I don't know WHY? I'll fix it when I have time.

I have run KVM/QEMU and Docker for some time in the past, only for testing NOT for production. Docker is for sharing software and VirtualBox for hardware.

Today hardware is not expensive. If I need to run an additional OS, I just buy a new SSD adding it to the PC and run the additional OS on bare metal.

The advantage of virtual machine is able running several OSs on the same PC simultaneously.

Thanks and Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing the guest additions into the VBox host computer was a waste of time. It didn't do anything useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Installing the guest additions into the VBox host computer was a waste of time. It didn't do anything useful.
    I have been running VirtaulBox on Ubuntu PC for prolonged time without problem, tracing back to Ubuntu 20.04 and Ubuntu 22.04 -> now 24.04.

I have VirtualBox running on this Ubuntu 22.04 PC, a daily working PC (say PC-1) and my another Ubuntu 22.04 PC (say PC-2) for prolonged time without any problem. A day before I also found similar problem on VirtualBox of PC-2, unable to start VMs. It is exactly the same problem as on PC-1. All VMs are unable to start.

I don't run VirtualBox daily on both PCs. It is because I have problem running OpenShot Video Editor on Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu 24.04 (already posted on another thread). I have LinuxMint VM installed on VirtualBox of both PCs. I want to test OpenShot Video Editor on LinuxMint to check whether it is NOW OpenShot Video Editor having problem running on Linux? OpenShot Video Editor has been running on my PC-1 and PC-2 for prolonged time in the past without any problem.

OpenShot Video Editor is working seamlessly on MS Windows 10. I have another drive on PC-1, running MS Windows 10. There is no problem running OpenShot Video Editor on Window 10.

I suspected whether those problems mentioned above coming from the Linux kernel?

Regards

Remark:
    A side question. I didn't receive email advice on replies to my posting. I have to check it frequently on Ubuntu forum website.
    Last edited by satimis; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:54 PM.

Beans

Hi all,

I have solved the problem of starting VMs on my PC-2 VirtualBox.

VirtualBox on my PCs, unable to start all VMs, this problem is caused by Ubuntu upgrading the kernel to "6.5.0-41-generic"

Steps performed as follows;
    On Host Terminal of PC-2 run
    Code:
    $ sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms && sudo apt install libelf-dev
    On VM
    -> Settings -> USB
    select "USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller" -> OK (not USB 3.0)

Now all VMs (>30 VMs on this PC, PC-2) can be started without problem.

I have to find time sorting out upgrading "GuestAddition", on REPO of Ubuntu? Or download on VirtualBox website?

I have been running VirtaulBox for prolonged time without problem, long before VirtualBox acquired by Oracle, only for testing.

I only ran VirtualBox on my PC ONCE for production as server of my websites, >40 WordPress websites, when I subscribed hosting service on "Godaddy" and static IP, about 6 years ago.

It was a wonderful setup. When my server was down visitors browing my websites on Godaddy server. When my local server was up, visitors browing my websites on my local server. The switching was fully automatic and visitors didn't notice this change.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12