Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel there was no warning that 24.04 lts is very buggy

Beans

I feel there was no warning that 24.04 lts is very buggy

I trusted Canonical and upgraded from 22.04 lts to 24.04 lts on an optiplex 5090 that came with 20.04 installed. I trusted Canonical because prior upgrades have been issue-free.

This time, it was a major mistake, I did not realize 24.04 was buggy. Could I please have advice on how to back-grade if possible? THanks. I first upgraded from 22.04 to 23.10 then from there to 24.04. I can give more details if required, but it was all done with standard commands, I think, and I did not see any obvious errors.

There is no advice online that I can find: It is not since the 1990s that I had an OS that failed to connect to internet ("Connection failed: Activation of network connection failed"). This is a very standard wired connection, there is nothing I can find online for 24.04 failing to connect a wired connection, or for any Ubuntu failing to do this on hardware that previously worked fine. No, its not my settings (the network guy here also cannot fix it. No, it is not ipv6. No it is not the clock.

Its weird because it connected to the internet presumably to download the upgrades with no issue, in both the above upgrade steps, so I am assuming 24.04 broke my internet connection in a final installation step after all downloading was complete.

Also:

Clicking on the libre office writer icon does nothing, libreoffice calc icon does nothing, and so it goes on. This upgrade seems so broken that I cannot see any obvious solution other than, perhaps grudgingly admitting that Windows has cornered the market for a reason because I am several hours into this now, and to be honest if I had known that basic stuff that has been working for many years would be broken again, I would have definitely just left the whole thing alone for the forseeable future.

Any expert advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by pgershon; June 19th, 2024 at 05:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Cinnamon 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: I feel there was no warning that 24.04 lts is very buggy

Sorry I can't be much help with this Paul, but there were several warnings not to upgrade to 24.04 yet.
    I have performed a clean install on my two computers and everything works well.
    It may be worth backing up any data and clean installing.
    The full install is fast, so you can be back up and running in less time than you've already spent and at the end of it you should have a good stable system again

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There is always going to be a certain amount of risk upgrading the way you did. It could be software or hardware conflicts, it could be PPAs you added. We don't know because we don't know your system the way you do.

Two points to consider:

1. use a separate /home partition so that when you upgrade you only upgrade the root partition (backups still essential)
    2. avoid updating via interim releases as you did

Best to usually backup data and do a fresh install or wait for the first point release for things to stabilize. In this case, that would be in August 2024.

To perhaps try and resolve some of this I would try booting recovery mode and use an older kernel to see whether the issues persist. Perhaps also consider reinstalling LibreOffice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'll give some thoughts only.

- you give release details; but don't actually say which product (Server? Desktop? flavor?).. but I do note mention of LibreOffice thus possibly desktop...

- you can non-destructively re-install an earlier release; but there can be complications with this.. I've written about it here but do be aware that older programs can have problems using files that were used by later versions (these issues are package/program specific, and not release specific), but in most cases there are no issues.

- I wonder if you did any checking before you performed the upgrades.. eg. I always boot live systems and use the Try Ubuntu options to check out how my hardware does on a newer kernel stack; eg. 22.04 used 5.15 as GA stack & 6.5 currently on HWE, but 24.04 uses 6.8... I also hope you read the release notes for each upgrade step & ensured none of the known problems were going to be encountered, or if they were you took note of the mitigations... Issues like networking/graphics or anything related to your hardware will show up in live testing usually.

- have you ensure the release-upgrade completed successfully; ie. your sources are all good, no issues/warnings/missing-lines etc on `sudo apt update` and then `sudo apt full-upgrade`... If you attempt to start programs (you mention not starting) from terminal are there any clues appearing on the terminal (I find terminals easier than going to look up system logs as using GUI often requires), or clues exist elsewhere (such as /var/crash/ etc)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Like phatton1 I also clean installed (Xubuntu 24.04) with almost no problems of any sort other than not immediately installing all the packages I normally need so I suspect upgrading was your problem, not specifically 24.04 being buggy.

I assume you're aware that a direct version upgrade from 22.04 to 24.04 is not even offered yet,though being Linux, there are always workarounds to enable users to carry out such potentially problematic upgrades.

You do not give any details of how you did the upgrade; did you manually change the repo versions from jammy to noble and then cross your fingers and hope?

Give as much detail as possible and we may be able to help more.

However make sure you have good usable backups before doing anything drastic as this will allow you to do a new clean install and then restore your backups should this end up as the easiest and quickest way forward.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; June 19th, 2024 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

I too have done fresh installs of 24.04. Three on my own computers (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu) and a dozen more. All are functioning correctly with the exception of the application camera which for some reason failed to recognize the webcam on some computers. Not a big deal. Merely installed Cheese and the problem was solved. I used to wait until the first point release to do an install so the bugs would be patched until I realized that bugs, if any are discovered, are generally patched during the beta release. Depending on the specs of the computer, Ubuntu 24.04 will install in 12 to 30 minutes. Re-installing your data from your back up device, and configuring the computer according to your own desire takes as long as it takes. (A separate home on the hard drive of course will cut that time as has already been pointed out by Rubi1200). So, if you want the new LTS release before the first point release do a fresh install. I have been a full-time Ubuntu user since 2008.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. I do not find it particularly buggy. I have noticed a lot of after-release updates. It might just be my imagination, but it seems that there are a lot more after-release updates than with previous versions. I have not been counting but I think that LibreOffice has had at least two updates since the last week of April.

So, I agree with the advice to either wait until the first point release (six months after release) or put in a fresh install.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have to agree with the subject of this thread. I am almost done with 24.04. I have installed it on my new machine 7 times and have yet to have a installation that I can trust. I have been running 22.04 on my old machine and it is pretty bullet proof. If I could find a down load of 22.04 I would install it instead and let 24.04 mature more. I have even been looking at the other Distros to see if I can find a current build that I can trust.

Beans

If I could find a down load of 22.04 I would install it
    Are you joking?? Putting 'download ubuntu 22.04' in any search engine should get you there so if you can't do that, I can see why you're having problems.

https://releases.ubuntu.com/jammy/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

24.04 has been working fine here on my end. I started with vanilla then went to Xubuntu 24.04 with no issues to note.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast